PDA

View Full Version : Raising J9s from the small blind...

Buck_65
07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
...and then value betting my top pair into a huge field? It is important to note that I have been raising a ridiculous number of hands and the table is pissed at me. How do you like my line:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Button folds.

River: (12 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Simple, yet eloquent. Easy fold to a raise on the river. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif value betting, do you?

econ_tim
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
You so crazy!

I see no reason to slow down.

@bsolute_luck
07-07-2005, 09:15 PM
that would be a difficult hand for me to raise preflop in the blind. facing no aggression, you pretty much have to bet each street with flopped top pair even though J-higher kicker will call you down too.

beset7
07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
I know you are just working the table but in a theoretical vaccumn raising J9s from the small blind after numerous limpers is probably going to cost you but it's not that bad if it's bad at all.

Rest of the hands looks fine. If you've really run them over I'd expect calldowns with small PPs and maybe even Ace-high.

Rev. Good Will
07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif value betting, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

...so you're raising J9s from the SB for value here?

Who do you think you are? death donkey? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It is important to note that I have been raising a ridiculous number of hands and the table is pissed at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why do what they expect you to do?

I dunno, the table had to be reeeeeaaaaally loose/passive/sucking to do this, not exactly my brand of tea

EDIT - the rest of the hand is hawt

Buck_65
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't consider it a value raise, it had more to do with pushing around the weak passives and keeping them from being able to put me on a hand.

My implied odds are automatically increased every time I raise at this table, they don't know what to do so they just call it all the way down with dogshit. Definitely not standard, but it was fun.

Results: Somehow my hand held up, I don't remember their exact holdings. My PT is having technical difficulties and I can't check right now. I think at least one of them had ace high...

Greg J
07-07-2005, 10:11 PM
This is the most awesome hand I have ever seen. You rock.

OrianasDaad
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Pre-flop is iffy, but if you are tilting the table, I like it. People will call you down when you flop a hand.

I like a check-raise on the flop if you think Button or UTG+2 will bet. Leading out doesn't protect your hand, and there are plenty of weak draws that can call profitably.

I don't like the turn play at all. Against four opponents you are vulnerable. You have to make an attempt to protect your hand. I'd bet that there are at least 13 cards that could come that beat you (6 out of 12 overcards, and mabye 7 of the clubs) plus some cards that give someone a weird two pair.

River blank, you dodged the four flush and overcards to your pair. Bet for value here.

This hand wanted protecting. I think betting for value all the way was a little loose. You'll get outdrawn giving up these odds more often than your marginal hand holds up.

Buckmulligan
07-07-2005, 10:41 PM
After raising preflop I don't think value betting that flop is the best option, which is why I wouldn't have raised preflop. Now it's probably correct to check and hope for a chance to raise an LP bettor or bet a safe turn.

Buck_65
07-08-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After raising preflop I don't think value betting that flop is the best option, which is why I wouldn't have raised preflop. Now it's probably correct to check and hope for a chance to raise an LP bettor or bet a safe turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very right. I seriously jeopardized my chances to win the pot by betting out on the flop. I'm only playing .50/1.00 to get back to basics ever since FPS took over my 2/4 game. I'm still learning!

Entity
07-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't like the PFR. It's not terrible but meh, whatever. Postflop is SOP. You can't check and hope to checkraise here at all.

Rob

Greg J
07-08-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't like the PFR. It's not terrible but meh, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love it for asthetic reasons.

Buck_65
07-08-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the PFR. It's not terrible but meh, whatever. Postflop is SOP. You can't check and hope to checkraise here at all.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of them would have bet if I checked. Btw, what's SOP? I'm a n00b, please don't flame.

Hojglad
07-08-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what's SOP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard operating procedure.