PDA

View Full Version : What kind of beat pisses you off the most?

Dentist
02-11-2003, 12:09 PM
A) someone lands their inside straight
B) someone lands their runner-runner flush (and that was all they were drawing to)

C) Someone has something lame like bottom pair and an overcard, you have top pair, and he catches his trips on the river (or turn).

D) You have a set, the river card makes a 4 straight, and some dude just happens to have that 5th card (and a crappy pair)

We had this debate at the table last night because I landed an inside straight (no I didn't have correct odds). and my buddy landed a runner runner flush having two overcards. We couldn't decide which was more disgusting.

I also had this gross hand in the BB where I had 8 2 suited, no one raised pre-flop. The flop had an 8, I bet, someone raised, I called, got another 8, and busted up the guy with pocket Kings....
I felt genuinely bad.....
As someone who hates getting beat badly, I really don't like delivering those lame beats either... I almost have to apologize.

Homer
02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
most ----> least

D-->B-->C-->A

-- Homer

Tyler Durden
02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
I hate losing when I flop two pair and then lose to an open ender that came through on the river.

davidross
02-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I can handle all the beats you mentioned with a laugh and a "nice hand sir". I will get their money eventually. I hate beats like the one I took last night.

Three limpers and a raise from the small blind. I call with KQo.

Flop is Q-x-x and I call the SB's bet. Heads up no overcards come and I call his turn and river bet and get shown AQ.

Self inflicted beats bother me the most. I know better than to call a legitimate raise with KQo, even from the small blind.

RockLobster
02-11-2003, 12:36 PM

pudley4
02-11-2003, 12:55 PM
B, D, A, C. The guy with bottom pair + overcard has 5 outs, even if you hit your 2 pair.

Don't feel bad about winning your trip 8's hand - it's his own fault for not raising preflop.

Toro
02-11-2003, 01:08 PM
The most galling beat I ever took was in a tourney. We were down to the final 3 and I was the short stack and on the button and found a couple of black aces. I raised it 3 or 4 times the BB about half my stack. The SB who was the chip leader and was playing in his 1st tourney calls with J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . The flop was all rags but with 2 diamonds. He checked and I pushed all in and he called. We turn our cards over and the dealer burns and turns another diamond and then burns and turns the(yes you guessed it) 4th diamond. I got my aces cracked by the 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . That one was real tough to take! Of course the novice went on to win the tourney.

Mikey
02-11-2003, 02:11 PM
this hand upsets me the most

I have QTo

I check in the BB after over half the table limps.

A very very very good player is on the button.

THe flop comes Q 6 8 with two clubs.

it gets checked all the way around to the button who like I said is a very very very good player and he bets.

I checkraise everyone inbetween us folds and the button calls

On the turn falls a 2. (non club)

I bet and the button who is a very very very very good player calls!!!!

On the river falls a 5s.

I bet and he raises.... My poor little heart drops to my knees and I fold....this very very very very good player than says to himself "what the hell, I'll show him the hand"

He shows me 55 for a rivered set.

I wonder if he remebers this hand.....because I don't forget.

Homer
02-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Are you sure he is a "very very very very good player"?

-- Homer

Mikey
02-11-2003, 02:23 PM
you'd be very very surprised when I tell you who it is

Homer
02-11-2003, 02:28 PM
It was Dynasty right? When you played out at the Monte Carlo with him and Clarkemeister? I think he thought you folded too easily and decided to do some experimenting. If a flush card, K, or A came he was going to raise and hopefully you'd fold your top pair-weak kicker (and if a 5 came it'd be gravy)? Maybe I'm wrong and am thinking of a different thread....

-- Homer

Mikey
02-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Homer you read my post perfectly.....WOW, i can't believe you remember that post....you have a great memory.
I don't think I want to sit across the poker table from you, if you have this kind of memory.

Man......I posted that in August...

Homer
02-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I have no idea how I remembered that, to be honest. My long-term memory is usually quite bad, yet for some reason this popped right into my head. I guess I can only remember important things that have to do with poker and football, while disregarding unimportant details such as my girlfriend's birthday....

Have a good one...

-- Homer

Bob T.
02-11-2003, 02:42 PM
while disregarding unimportant details such as my girlfriend's birthday....

Homer, Valentine's day is this Friday.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
02-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Self inflicted beats bother me the most.

I'm with David on this one. All of those others, they either had the odds to play, or they didn't. If they did, good for them, and if they didn't, good for me.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Dentist
02-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, that's tough because that's a tough hand to fold pre-flop, and I would think it would be tough to fold it at all.

However, when I get out-played it doesn't bother me (if someone has better cards) but when I lose to something lame, it hurts...

And I feel geniuinely lame doing it to someone else...

Although if I'd calculated the implied odds that I did get from getting that straight, it probably was a legit flop call. because the check-raise on the turn paid me off.

Homer
02-11-2003, 02:49 PM
I thought they already had Valentine's Day last year!!

-- Homer

JTG51
02-11-2003, 03:21 PM
I guess I can only remember important things that have to do with poker and football

And of course Simpsons trivia. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm pretty impressed that you rememberd that also. Now that you bring it up I remember Dyansty's post of the hand, but I never would have thought of that.

Ed Miller
02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
None of these affect me emotionally one way or the other. Since I started playing six months ago, each of these has happened to me so many times. When I started playing, I used to get irked when my big pairs or sets got snapped off... and would get this sinking feeling every time I looked down to see a hand like JJ. I just don't have an emotional reaction anymore.

You need to really internalize that +EV = money. It doesn't matter if your wallet is empty at the end of the night, you have put in the time and it will be profitable for you. As long as you allow any of these "beats" or even less probable ones (I cracked some poor chap's set once when my bottom pair hit runner-runner quads) to bother you, you will be playing scared and will steam, and that will affect your bottom line 100x more than this particular beat.

Someone has something lame like bottom pair and an overcard, you have top pair, and he catches his trips on the river (or turn).

You should routinely be the one with this "lame" holding. If you don't ever draw to this, then you are giving away money.

Ed Miller
02-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I remember that post too, Mikey. I thought the "Dynasty, Clarkmeister, and Mikey" series was quite a good series, and I liked this hand.

Ulysses
02-11-2003, 03:45 PM
E) The one where the guy who administered it racks up his chips immediately after and leaves the table.

davidross
02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
You need to get over the feeling lame part. Remember the line form White Men can’t Jump, where Woody Harrelson’s character claims that black guys would rather look good and lose than look bad and win? Too many Poker players are like that. In Order to look Macho they waste bets. Don’t make it personal, or take it personal. First of all if you are a good player you will be sucked out on more than you suck out on someone because usually you will have the better cards. Second, when you do it don’t apologize. Let him think you are clueless. Then use it to your advantage. If he thinks you are bad he is much more likely to give you a free card in the same situation next time. He might also chase your legitimate hands later in an attempt to get even. Bad beats and suckouts are a legitimate part of the game that we can’t control. Those that handle them better will have better results in the long run.

ANd you did have implied odds to chase the gutshot on th eflop. In multiway hands you usually do. On the turn is a different story though.

Dentist
02-11-2003, 04:17 PM
good post....

I caught my money card on the turn, I don't routinely take an inside straight draw alone past the turn, the double bet usually does me in.....unless the pot is HUGE.

XlgJoe
02-11-2003, 04:27 PM
As someone else mentioned you get used to those kind of bad beats after a while. But when I play omaha H/L I am about ready to pull my hair out within half an hour. That game is just to frustrating for me.

travisand
02-11-2003, 04:36 PM
The kind that upset me the most are when someone else besides myself ends up taking down the pot.

nanoking
02-11-2003, 04:47 PM
My least favorite beat is when I have a great read on a player's hand, but can't get myself to lay it down, e.g., my TPTK to his set. I override the voice in my head with the math and pot odds matter. On the drive home I can never quite convince myself that I played right. In those instances I feel like I'm close to poker greatness, but just can't get over the hump of mediocrity.

The scariest win for me then is when another player puts me on a hand, is wrong, but plays with such aggression or finesse, that even though I've won I'm worried about tangling with him again. Kind of like running into a player that just has some systematic errors in his game who is noticeably better each time you run into him at the table.

hutz
02-11-2003, 04:52 PM
I remembered this hand and I'm sure Dynasty does, too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

FishyWhale
02-11-2003, 05:33 PM
I try not to be pissed because I know that it happens. To indulge in "what beat bothers me more" is waste of mental energy, imo

Homer
02-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Actually, I think it is interesting to reflect on the things that bother me, to what extent they bother me, and most importantly why they bother me to the extent they do. There are certain things that bother me more than other things, yet they are caused by less horrendous mistakes on the part of my opponent(s). By determining why a specific beat bothers me more than another, I can learn more about the way I think.

-- Homer

Dynasty
02-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Poker isn't always about playing the odds.

The most important thing about that hand is that Mikey folded on the river. It didn't matter that I hit my 2-outer. I could have raised the river regardless of what card (except maybe a Q or T) came and Mikey still would have folded.

I thought you had KQ so I didn't recognize the hand until I saw the river 5.

Mikey
02-11-2003, 10:43 PM
I had a read on you, that's why i mucked the river.
If you just sat there and didn't say a word when you raised the river you would have squeezed an extra big bet out of me.....but you didn't you broke out into laughter, genuine laughter, there is no way in hell Q medium kicker is good at that point, a pure judgement call says to fold and Mikey was right!!

Mike Gallo
02-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Mikey,

I recall the hand a bit differently. Your opponent planned on using the board as a scare to get you to fold. He turned a 7 and had a straight draw and the possibilty of you folding if he put enough heat on you. If a club dropped he would have gotten you to fold. You would have thought you made a great fold, and you would have knocked off the hand. As it was you thought he had a straight.

I would not consider this hand a bad beat. You didn't discuss how you folded the river. In the long haul if you always fold that hand, you will lose a lot of money. However I forgot, you knew he had you beat.

Mikey
02-11-2003, 11:11 PM
"If a club dropped he would have gotten you to fold. You would have thought you made a great fold, and you would have knocked off the hand. As it was you thought he had a straight."

I remember he was trying to use the club as a scare card and I would have had to make my decision on the river of whether to call or to fold. I don't know how I would have played it on the river.

But you can be sure that the little club wasn't going to enough to scare me and how can you possibly be so sure that I would fold there.

I don't care what falls, when someone bursts into laughter like he did more times than not you are beat. This is so funny how I'm getting chastised on how I should have......

CALLED??????

NO NO NO NO.....I don't call...I like my money.

The fold was perfect. I don't care what anyone says. Now I can't tell you that he had a set of 5's.....that I don't know....if I knew that...I wouldn't be playing 4-8, but I knew it was enough for me to be beat.

Another thing I don't consider this hand a bad beat either, i don't believe in Bad beats, in my mind I don't actually think they exist anymore....I just thought it would be fun to bring up old memories and as far as I can see, we are having a great time talking about this.

bernie
02-11-2003, 11:45 PM
i havent read the other responses yet....

i dont get pissed at bad beats.. who do you get pissed at? you cant get pissed at the player...you made money on him with him calling...

once you play enough, youre able to just say "next hand" to yourself...

once youre badbeat skin gets nice and thick, nothing really suprises you does it? i mean, cmon...youll get beat by a 2 outer in a hand after a recent one.....it shouldnt suprise you...so look for the silver lining...which is...

the longrun....

you lost the pot, but still made money on the hand...

b

bernie
02-11-2003, 11:56 PM

MrGrob
02-12-2003, 02:24 AM
"I also had this gross hand in the BB where I had 8 2 suited, no one raised pre-flop. The flop had an 8, I bet, someone raised, I called, got another 8, and busted up the guy with pocket Kings....

I felt genuinely bad....."

FELT BAD?! I LOVE TO BUST SLOW PLAYERS -- NOTHING MAKES ME HAPPIER THAN TO TRIP ON THE TRUN TO SOME SLOW PLAYING IDIOT WITH AA OR KK -- I PLAY POKER FOR THESE TYPES OF HANDS!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mikey
02-12-2003, 03:30 AM
just rereading this again.....I can't believe i read past this......

"I would not consider this hand a bad beat. You didn't discuss how you folded the river"

-I didn't discuss how I could have folded the river.....what the hell are you talking about......we had about a 30 minute phone conversation about this hand.....when I called you from Las Vegas from my hotel room. You told me it was a good fold.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???!!!!!!

Clarkmeister
02-12-2003, 03:44 AM
"What kind of beat pisses you off the most?"

All of them.

RollaJ
02-12-2003, 02:26 PM
The one i took friday night at the Tropicana. I had pocket kings on the button, raised to me preflop I reraise oricginal bettor is only caller.
Flop=K-Q-Q
he bets, I raise, he reraises, I call
Turn=Q, he checks to me, (must think I was born yesterday)
River=X, he bets I had to call (i know i hate when people say that).
Well my flopped nut boat lost, thats the kind of beat I hate /forums/images/icons/frown.gif