PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea how to play this nut-flush draw.

J Chap
07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Here it is:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1520)
SB (t425)
Hero (t645)
UTG (t1115)
MP1 (t2710)
MP2 (t770)
CO (t815)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t125) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t225) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t225</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t450

I know I played this like such a douche. There must have been something better I could have done here. What would you guys do? I hate getting stuck trying to draw from early position.

-J Cha Cha-

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I would probably try a checkraise on the flop (raise 150) to buy a free card on the turn. This way you can fold to an all-in when it's cheap and you represent a very strong hand...He might be more cautious with a hand like TPTK which can get you to the river.

I don't really see anything wrong with the way you played it though...tight weak with draws is basically correct in SNGs.

11t
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I think if you are ging to c/r you are forced to push with hero's stack size and the size of the pot.

I dislike putting 1/3rd of my stack into a pot in an attempt to try to get a free card on the turn when I am out of position. Seems like an ill-concieved limit cash game move.

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are ging to c/r you are forced to push with hero's stack size and the size of the pot.

I dislike putting 1/3rd of my stack into a pot in an attempt to try to get a free card on the turn when I am out of position. Seems like an ill-concieved limit cash game move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, good points...this is the only decent alternative I see to what he did though.

lastchance
07-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Could always check-call and try for a blocking bet on the turn... I think this is the best line here... Meh.

bluewilde
07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see anything wrong with the way you played it though...tight weak with draws is basically correct in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]
For me, this was one of the most confusing things about HOH. Harrington is very odds focused as far as drawing hands go, but how do you balance mathematically profitable calls with survival strategy.

Clearly for the OP, 2:1 on the turn leaves you with an uncallable draw...but at what point does a draw become callable? He's about 20% to make his flush...can he call anything better than 4:1?

J Chap
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Wait, so if I check-raise the flop and check the turn, he may check the turn as well out of fear of another check-raise? I never realized free cards can work that way, too. I always thought of buying free cards from last position, not first.

Or, as lastchance suggests, I can post a 'blocking bet' on the turn (is that a min-bet that I hope he'll just call?)

Thanks for the feedback.

=OP=

JayKon
07-07-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or, as lastchance suggests, I can post a 'blocking bet' on the turn (is that a min-bet that I hope he'll just call?)

[/ QUOTE ]

While I've never heard the term "Blocking bet" I assume it is when you bet an amount that you would want to call (meaning you're getting the odds). So if the pot is 225 and you want 4:1 odds on your "call" bet $75 and hope he just calls.

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Blocking bet is when you make a bet smaller than that your opponent would have and you hope he just calls it. It can be cheaper than just check calling but there is higher risk involved.

JayKon
07-07-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blocking bet is when you make a bet smaller than that your opponent would have and you hope he just calls it. It can be cheaper than just check calling but there is higher risk involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what I said? I only added that I wanted to make sure I was getting good odds.