PDA

View Full Version : Got skeered, should I have stayed aggressive?

Baseballer02
07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I had just sat down at the table, no reads whatsoever on any opponents. UTG+1 suddenly waking up had me worried about two pair.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

aK13
07-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Not sure about the flop raise. Against normal opponents, you're at best tying with another AK, or owned by AA, KK, QQ.

xenthebrain
07-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I would have bet that river when checked to.

newfant
07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I like preflop, I like the flop, and I think your turn call is fine. You might want to bet this river because UTG+1 could make that turn bet with QJ, KJ, or JT and his check on the river would be consistent with that. However, If you got river-checkraised, that would suck but you would need to call it with a pot this big.

I think your line is pretty good here. You got a lot of money in preflop and on the flop when you were likely ahead. Missing bets on the turn and river are most likely marginal mistakes, but getting three-bet on the turn or check-raised on the river puts you to a tough decision. I think the marginal mistake of missing those bets is balanced out by the times UTG+1 3-bets or check-raises.

I would probably take your line most of the time while occassionally betting this river.

beset7
07-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Or ace-rag. I'd say it's ace-rage in this spot a vast majority of the time. Not to mention AJ/AQ/Etc.

@bsolute_luck
07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
that is the weirdest donk-turn bet and river check i've ever seen. skeered i'm not. confused i am. w/o reads i have no idea. i'd probably play it the same. that river check smells like a doofus "ooh i'll check/raise" here something moronic.

jmgurgeh
07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I agree, this is confusing. The bet/call on the flop might indicate he was waiting to checkraise the turn, but then he bets out. Maybe I've just had to put in too many "Won't give a free card even with just bottom pair" type notes in Party lately, but this smells like a donkbet to me. I might have raised the turn, but once it's checked to you on the river, I think you've got to bet for value. I don't see how this guy can think he's going to get a checkraise off there.

davelin
07-07-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet that river when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buckmulligan
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
value bet the river.

OrianasDaad
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I'd play preflop and flop the same. I'd also note UTG's pre-flop cap and bet/fold line on the flop in a huge pot.

I'd reraise the turn. If UTG was slowplaying something or hit two pair or a straight, isn't a check-raise more likely?

Value bet the river. The pot is never big enough.