PDA

View Full Version : take ATE's pro test

ADAMtheEXPERT
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
, I've really had enough of people thinking that they can "go pro", inspite of my stern warnings.

Oh, not that it's impossible, just ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE Ha ha, hey, if you win the ten million this year, and never play above 20-40, ANYONE can "go pro" Just make sure you don't lose/spend more than 200K a year, and you're good for the next fifty years.

But, reality is: most people don't have the luxury of some super bankroll, so why dont' you take the ATE pro test, to see if you even have a chance:

(1)My bankroll is

a. 300 of the big blinds at the limit I wish to play

b. 500 of the big blinds I wish to play

c. 1000 of the big blinds of the game I wish, plus 6xmonthly epenses
in a seperate account, and another 5-10K for emergencies

(2) I am playing 10-20, making 4K a month. I have 20k bankroll, and have been doing ok for one year, being consistent.

Now, over to my left, I see a 60-120 game, with three of the biggest idiots ever. every pot is 4K and up!

Do you

a. take 2,000, and try the game, knowing that a good win will be as much as you make in three or more months

b. take 6,000, to give yourself a great chance, figuring you'll still have 14,000 left in your bankroll

c. shrug your shoulders, sigh and think of the time when you WILL be able to play this game, FIVE YEARS down the line

d. reach for your cellphone, call your high-limit buddy and advise him of the game, hoping he'll kick you fifteen percent of his win, and possible even stake you, when he sees how good the game is

e. Multiple answers, you pick which

(3) It's the world series! and, by miricle of miricles, you have made it down to the final two players. First is ten million, and second is six million. You are heads up against Doyle Brunson. The chips are evenly matched, and you look foward to the heads up battle. Man, you cannot lose. If you do, well what the heck . . . . you lost to Doyle Brunson. And, if you win, it's four million more, and bragging rights for the next five decades.

The tournament director comes over, with a terrible look on his face. "mister pro player, I'm afraid there's bad news, you must take this call" You pick up the phone, and it's your hometown hospital. Your first born child has been in a terrible accident, and is not expected to live through the night. He's been calling for his daddy.

(yeah, I know ATE is making an unpleasant question, but LIFE is unpleasent, and sometimes tough choices must be made)

do you:

a. leave immediately, forfeiting your chance at first and the extra 4 million?

b. Tough is out, figuring that "well I can't save him anyway, why should I just lose the four million" Maybe Doyle will bust out to me in two minutes.

c. run a bluff play, whereupon you go back to the game, and try to make Doyle feel guitly about keeping you here, and hope he'll settle for a split, or look like a rotten person, it front of the poker world. If he does'nt split, you try to negotiate a delay, whereupon the match will continue. You try to get the crowd on your side, reminding them that THEY have children too If you ca'nt do this in half an hour, you will rush to McCarren airport and fly to your dying son's bedside.

(4) YOu are making a reasonable living, four grand a month. Your bankroll is down to eighteen thousand, as you had to pay several grand for an emergency expense. Now, you happen to win a 50 multi, on pokerstars, for over 7,000

Your wife is nagging you about going to Tahiti, which will cost the full seven large

Do you:

a. Take the Tahiti trip. You still have money, and what the heck, you'll win another one, RIGHT?

b. Tell her you can't go right now, but will on the next win. Meanwhile, you add two thousand to your bankroll, and 4,000 to your emergency fund, and take the spouse to Vegas instead, for the other thousand (but also managing to spend 300 of it, on a tournament.

(5) You win a trip to England. Everything is included, including a private limo tour, of all the most interesting sights. Luxury limo, driver and tour guide will take you, in style, through all of England, for the full length of the trip.

Do you: (a) relax and take the tour, poker isn't everything, right?

(b) tAKE THE TOUR, but be playing on a cell phone laptop, instead of looking at the sites, while your family looks out the windows.

(c) Head over to the VIC, and register, then take the tour for only two days, while you are waiting for the 48 hour period before you can play

(this assumes that you are qualified to play the pot limit games that are featured there)

answers c, c and d c, b, c

yeah, I know you were expecting an elaboration on the answers, but this is more of a fun test. It's partially serious, to show you the attitudes you need to have, while at the same time not totally losing your humanity.

ate

PorscheNGuns
07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Why is it that in this particular folder the Moderators consistently fail to do their unpaid jobs?

-Matt

bobdibble
07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/images/ignoreuser.gif Ignore this user (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/toggleignore.php?Cat=&User=39657&Board=holdem&Numb er=2814615&what=showthreaded&page=0&view=collapsed &sb=5&o=14)

xenthebrain
07-07-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/images/ignoreuser.gif Ignore this user (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/toggleignore.php?Cat=&User=39657&Board=holdem&Numb er=2814615&what=showthreaded&page=0&view=collapsed &sb=5&o=14)

[/ QUOTE ]
Ty for the link. Very kind

KDawgCometh
07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
since this is a gambling website, what should we make the over/under at for either his banning, or mass post deletion

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-07-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that in this particular folder the Moderators consistently fail to do their unpaid jobs?

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I judge his moronic rantings benign. I try to use my Moderator Superpowers in a tight-weak manner, to ban only spammers and the cruel. A stupid thread once in a while can be ignored. Should the moron clog the board, he will be banned.

Perhaps one of the LAGier mods will ban him.

Greg J
07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah this is not the kind of thing that needs to be banned IMO. I would start to worry if the new mods started banning for saying stuff that is stupid. After all, I like sfer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Armchair
07-07-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I judge his moronic rantings benign. I try to use my Moderator Superpowers in a tight-weak manner, to ban only spammers and the cruel. A stupid thread once in a while can be ignored. Should the moron clog the board, he will be banned.

Perhaps one of the LAGier mods will ban him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He comes and goes. He did this on and off over at UPC -- it's kind of funny, mostly annoying, and entirely sporadic.

BottlesOf
07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
You press "return" too much.