PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any good beginner's guide?

Duffman
07-07-2005, 06:26 PM
My girlfriend is interested in learning poker and so far many of the beginner's guides I looked at are not good(i.e lowlimitholdem.com advocates playing 57o in late position).

Any of you have links to a good beginner's guide, really mostly starting hands, position, and pot odds and stuff.

Thanks.

FrankTheTank
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones teaches a weak-tight style that is perfect for beginners. I bought it for my dad a month ago and now he plays more than I do.

Duffman
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Yeh I'm going to get her WLLH, but for now are there any decent guides online?

Jgents
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I recommend Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold 'Em over any online article for starting players.

snowgurts
07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Like most poker questions, it depends. Obviously, the rules have to be learned first, but those are obviously not hard. I think CardPlayer.com has a good rule thing. Then, a beginner's lesson on odds (pot odds, hand odds... I wouldn't even go into implied odds yet) and styles of play (passive, aggressive, tight, loose) and the ramifications thereof. I'm sure you can google the terms to get free online guides and such. Past that, and it would be time to pick up one of the aforementioned books. Aside from the aforementioned books, Super/System 2 is always good, with Mike Caro's section, Jennifer Harmon's section, and Doyle Brunson's many sections. Also, David Skylansky has a couple of real cool books out on poker in general (Theory of Poker) or he has some strictly Texas Hold 'em books. Reading 2+2's poker online magaizine and especially CardPlayer.com's archives are always a help, too.

cheapsuit
07-09-2005, 05:01 AM
ed miller : small stakes holdem
sklansky: the theory of poker

the first is the definative guide for small stakes hold em. and the second is pretty much the poker bible.

goodluck to your girlfriend. (you may also wanna give them a read if you havent yet) best - cheap.

bbschene
07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
try "small stakes hold'em" by david sklansky. this book is for people that have played for a while, but i am on my 5th time reading this one, and i learn more each time i read.GOOD LUCK

terrapin314
07-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em by Jones is good start. SSHE is too much for a new player.

Redd
07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is interested...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these books actually for you dude?

Duffman
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is interested...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these books actually for you dude?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no.

I've read SSH, TOP, and 2+2.com. I still suck but that's beside the point.

I was really looking for a good online guide since I can't get around to getting the books now, but I guess there are none. I guess she'll have to wait a couple of weeks till I get her WLLH.

Thanks all.

Killer Man's Son
07-09-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em by Jones is good start. SSHE is too much for a new player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Have her learn weak-tight first before she tackles Ed's style. I learned with WLLH and have no regrets so far (but get her into Ed's SSHE ASAP as weak-tight sucks).

BritNewbie
07-10-2005, 03:39 AM
If you're going to get her Lee Jones's book, make sure you get the latest (ie. the 3rd) edition.