PDA

View Full Version : AQ suited UTG

Bob T.
02-11-2003, 05:38 AM
Playing in a loose, moderately aggressive, and did I say loose canterbury park 6-12 game. 4-6 players are seeing most flops, and the player to my left, and I are being blinded off, and hardly playing anything. I didn't even get 84 off, so I couldn't raise preflop.

I have AQ of diamonds UTG, and limp, planning on reraising, especially if it is raised in late position.

3 limpers, the SB raises, the BB calls, and I reraise, all call the two bets to the SB, who makes it four bets, and everyone calls.

The first question here, is should I cap it at five bets, or do we have enough in the pot now. Nearly every draw that exists, is going to have the proper odds to chase, so should I just charge the loose guys the max, even though I might be in second place right now, or is it OK to call the reraise?

Flop

Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

SB bets out, BB, calls, and with top pair, and a backdoor flush, I have plenty to call even though I might be behind.

I raise, to see if I can eliminate anyone, and all the limpers fold, at least one of them making comments about the foolishness of being in a pot when I go to war. The SB thinks, and after a sizeable pause, folds, and the BB calls.
Do you like the raise here? I am not sure what my plan should be on the turn.

Turn

Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Check, bet, call.

River, 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Check, bet, call.

I show my hand and it is good, but the SB looks sick.

I later confirmed with him that he had KK, and thought that I had either QQ, or AA, leaving him to draw to a two outer. The thing that he missed, is that with 28 small bets in the pot at the time, he had the odds to draw to a two outer. The turn card put me in the lead, so he would have lost a little more money, but he didn't play good poker on this hand.

With the huge pot preflop, drawing to a 2 or three outer would be right on the flop, and not a monstrous mistake on the turn.

The other thing that I was thinking about, is that I might have had to hit my hand again to win, and if I call that flop bet, I might win a little more on this hand, but on the other hand, my raise gave the SB the chance to make the mistake of folding, which put me in the lead and I might have won the hand without further improvement.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Ed Miller
02-11-2003, 06:04 AM
I would not cap preflop with AQs. When the SB 4-bets you... it's time to worry about serious domination issues. Flop raise was good... though waiting for the turn to raise is not a bad idea either. KK made the worst poker play I've seen or heard about in a while. Notice that KK put you on AA or QQ because you limp-reraised. This is a fantastic reason to occasionally limp-reraise with big suited Aces... your preflop move caused him to make one of the worst poker mistakes I've seen recently.

VOC
02-11-2003, 06:11 AM
What did you put BB and SB on during the hand? I think making it 5 bets before the flop is not a bad move here even if you are second best. You know they are going to call anyway so you might as well have them pay as much as you can to see the flop.

Your play on the flop is fine. Your probably have the best hand here. Again, make your opponents pay as much as you can to draw out on you.

It turns out that the SB had KK. What kind of player was he? He made a mig mistake by folding the best hand on the flop, because he misread your hand.

Nevertheless, I think you played this hand fine.

VOC

Bob T.
02-11-2003, 02:26 PM
KK made the worst poker play I've seen or heard about in a while. Notice that KK put you on AA or QQ because you limp-reraised. This is a fantastic reason to occasionally limp-reraise with big suited Aces... your preflop move caused him to make one of the worst poker mistakes I've seen recently.

Yes, the reason that I thought that this hand was interesting, was because of the mistake that the SB made. As I pointed out in my original post, even if I have one of those hands, he still would be playing correctly to call on the flop for a two outer. So he could even play an underpair here, if he thought that I had AA.

It turns out that the SB had KK. What kind of player was he? He made a mig mistake by folding the best hand on the flop, because he misread your hand.

He was an out of town player, and he seemed to be a reasonable player, maybe a little loose, but certainly experienced. He was playing at 8 when I arrived at the cardroom, and he left shortly after this hand, at about 1:30. As he was going to the cage, I went with him and talked to him about the hand, and he said that even though the game was still good, he clearly was too tired to play well.

What did you put BB and SB on during the hand?

I thought that the SB had a big pair, maybe JJ, KK or AA.

The BB, couldn't be put on a hand, he played at a minimum 90% of the hands, and maybe more. Everytime that he folded preflop, was a surprise. Actually everytime that he folded before the turn, was a surprise. Once, when I looked disgusted folding another hand preflop, he said 'well, you can't play them all', and I think that I got bite marks on my tongue well I tried not to say, 'but you do.'

The reason that I chose to limpreraise on this hand, was because of the looseness of the table and because this hand was suited, I thought that we might build a huge multiway hand here, and that happened. Even though, the table was fairly loose, I think that except for the BB, everyone would have given a lot of consideration to folding to my UTG raise, and given the way they treated my flop raise, I suspect that that was true.

I also thought that this hand was interesting, because at least one other player at the table put me on QQ, before I tabled my hand at the showdown, he said 'show me Quads'. And one of the hands that I would clearly not limpreraise with are hands like QQ, and JJ. I would open raise with them every time.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

bad beetz
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
that pot is huge

the raise on the flop is an absolute necessity.