PDA

View Full Version : small PP utg

TStokes
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t865)
Button (t2575)
SB (t1095)
BB (t2335)
Hero (t1130)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.

This is a type of hand that I am having trouble with. I usually tend to fold here but feel like I might be missing an opportunity to gain some chips. What does everyone tend to do here?

tshort
07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I sometimes limp in this situation. If you hit the set, you can double up. If it is three-handed with the blinds, you can bet most flops that are checked to you.

In your situation, I will sometimes raise to 300. It depends on the table.

The Yugoslavian
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I think it's quite difficult to play this hand for a profit by limping or raising.

I fold....it's sublime.

Yugoslav
Who thinks *even* curtains folds here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

mlagoo
07-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I would really want to play this hand, but ultimately fold because I can't figure out the right way to play it (which perhaps means there isn't one).

I don't HATE a push, and I don't HATE a raise to 250. I just don't really like either.

citanul
07-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I, possibly the biggest limp pairs for set person on the planet, think that limping is a bad idea.

i think pushing is probably bad too, just based on some pretty standard callling requirement/ICM calculations, that i haven't done. yeah, it's handwavy, but i'm pretty sure that this is a non push. mostly i remember that we've had lots of argument about like, 99 utg, and 88 utg, in similar spots, and decided those were close or folds, so this must be /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul

Maulik
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
you can't call off 10% of your stack utg hoping to hit a set.

needless to say raising here is bad, because you're going to flip a coin or be dominated by a better pocket pair; unless in some off chance its folded to you. i guess this is buyin dependant and something highly dependant on the table's play to this point

this is a fold and it shouldn't even be close.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I have pushed plenty w/ small-mid PP from UTG. The results have usually been disasterous (I am still trying to figure it out). Probably best to 3xBB or fold from UTG. If you limp you will probably get raised, then what. If your 3xbb is raised you can get away from hand, and if you fold you've lost nothing. I don't know, let's see what everyone thinks...

AliasMrJones
07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Limping in that spot is a crime. (Unless it is an attempt to build a tight image that you can exploit later. j/k)

Raising 3XBB (regardless of what you do when re-raised) is just terrible. I wouldn't push through that many people with a small PP either, but pushing is much better than limping or 3XBB raise.

I think folding is the best option in this case.

TStokes
07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
yea I was really torn between pushing or folding. I had been pushing in this spot with some iffy results lately. I think that I am going to start letting this go.

Solitare
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Eastbay's ICM SnG Analyzer give the equity for pushing a 55 at -0.4%, assuming everyone behind will call with 66+, ATs+, AJo+.

Loosing up the potential callers doesn't shift the negative equity much. Only when the table is very tight does the equity turn positive.

With the callers at 66+, ATs+, AJo+ you need a 77 to make the equity barely positive. A 99 gives a more comfortable equity of +0.5%.

More interesting is the blinds need to only go up to 75/150 to make the 55 push have a slightly positive equity. With the blinds at 100/200, 55 becomes a must push.

TStokes
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
solitare thanks for running those calculations really helps put it into perespective

citanul
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
you have some scary opponents if they will call with 66. especially those ones who are out of position.

citanul

Maulik
07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have some scary opponents if they will call with 66. especially those ones who are out of position.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly, what would the icm say if we assume pocket pairs of 99+ calling and the A10s+, AJo+ calling?

The Yugoslavian
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be stuck in a virtual reality where opponents call allins with like premium hands or something, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

If you have 88 it's probably a close push/fold...99 is probably a solid push and 77 is most likely a fold.

Yugoslav

Solitare
07-07-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my thoughts exactly, what would the icm say if we assume pocket pairs of 99+ calling and the A10s+, AJo+ calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask and ye shall recieve.

The SnG Analyzer gives an equity of +0.2% for that calling range. Positive, but not by much.

So I guess it comes down to a judgement call -- How tight is the table acting, what is your table image, have you made too many pushes lately, etc.