PDA

View Full Version : raising for a cheap showdown

wuwei
07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Reads: Seat 6 is the main reason I'm at the table - very loose/bad. Seat 2 seems solid, and 8 is too loose.

On 6th, I have a few live outs to the flush/broadway, some aces up outs, and some chance of having the best hand. I raised intending to take a free showdown unimproved, and to try and drop seat 6 from the hand.

Thoughts on the whole thing?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___calls

4th Street - (5.38 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets

5th Street - (4.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks

6th Street - (4.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets___calls

River - (8.69 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___checks

Total pot: (8.69 BB)

soultwist
07-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd bet on 5th here, everyone seems to be on some type of a draw (or like seat 6 that seems to be playing neither a pair OR a draw) and betting on 5th will drive out the ones that have missed instead of the free card. If seat catches the 6/images/graemlins/club.gif instead of the 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif on 6th maybe he's got some new life. While your drawing as well your drawing to the best hand and could win a heads up pot with a big pair.

BeerMoney
07-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I kinda like betting fifth, with the huge mega draw. You're on a really live str8 flush draw. Build a nice pot.

What made you think seat 6 would fold to 6th street raise? (He just paired his doorcard.)

djr
07-07-2005, 06:41 PM
if your read on seat 6 is right, what makes you think he'll fold to a raise?

Other than that, I bet 5th (Your equity is way too high not to).

wuwei
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your read on seat 6 is right, what makes you think he'll fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat 6 was seeing 5th street a lot - maybe 85% of the time when she called 3rd (which she did 60% of the time). The raise is a little sketchy when the door card pairs, but 1 pair seemed just as likely as two pair or better based on her play. She didn't like to fold till 5th, when she hadn't caught anything. That sounds like another good reason to bet 5th.

[ QUOTE ]
Other than that, I bet 5th (Your equity is way too high not to).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad everyone mentioned betting 5th, that was the other question I forgot to mention. I think I take too many free cards.

BTirish
07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Anyone else think this is a fold on 4th? A king and queen are dead, and while the hearts are pretty live, I think it's a good rule of thumb to fold on 4th against paired door cards, especially with no pair and no 4-card draw (here, you do have a whipsaw). Since you did stay in... once you catch the near-perfect J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, it's time to bet out, because your pot equity has gone up quite a bit and it is at this point apparent that the paired 9 isn't sitting on trips.

Andy B
07-08-2005, 12:55 AM
I would consider raising coming in on third. Fourth is a fold. Your hand is still OK, but you're against a paired door card and the pot is pretty small. Having stayed in, I'd bet fifth. As BTirish pointed out, the guy with the Nines probably doesn't have trips, and your draw is pretty huge.

I think that the sixth-street raise and the reasoning behind it are dubious. When the Nines lead out again, it makes me think that the Ten might have hit him. Perhaps he started with (T8)9 or some such. If you don't have the best hand, the free showdown isn't worth a whole lot. I also don't think that a "very loose/bad" player is likely to fold two pair or a flush draw behind you. If he only has one pair, his presence only hurts you if he happens to make trip Treys while you make two pair. I don't think that the benefit of knocking him out is worth an extra BB. I would just call and hope on sixth.