PDA

View Full Version : Best Action Movie of the 80s - Elite Eight

swede123
07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Down to eight, this is where things get interesting...

Today's matchups:

samjjones
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I had to vote for Predator vs. Bloodsport, and then my eyes started bleeding and I had an embolism.

Shajen
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Kumate!! kumate!! kumate!!

TheCroShow
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
don't make me decide!!! DO NOT MAKE ME DECIDE!! all of them are so good!

MoreWineII
07-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Group 2 is pretty difficult. RotLA is a friggin' classic though.

But then so is Die Hard. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I voted Raiders.

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Die Hard cannot win. Just remember the map room!

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Bloodsport is the best movie. Ever. Any decade.

"Dees is for you Shidoshi.."

samjjones
07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Raiders is the best "adventure" film; while Die Hard is the best "action" film. Does this make sense to anybody other than me?

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 01:41 PM
No.

Lady Dont Tekno
07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Come on Bloooodsport!!

And why the [censored] is Die Hard vs Raiders so close???

LDT

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bloodsport is the best movie. Ever. Any decade.

"Dees is for you Shidoshi.."

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to show Predator the Dim Mak.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
http://www.80sreborn.com/images/bloodsport-1.jpg

"What the hell is a dimmack?"

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
def touch!

samjjones
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
http://lesiteducinephile.ifrance.com/images/predator.jpg
"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

swede123
07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
What's the matter? The CIA got you pushing too many pencils?

Swede

BreakfastBurrito
07-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Terminator ahead of Aliens? Of the two Cameron films with basically the same cast, I don't see how anyone could take Terminator.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Was Arnold the bad Terminator in T1? Was he the machine that Sarah Connor crushed in the hydraulic press? That'd explain how scared she was when he showed up in Judgement Day at the asylum.

Grisgra
07-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Going to be pretty disgusted if a non-action-movie (Empire) ends up winning the whole thing.

And I miss Big Trouble in Little China /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Shajen
07-07-2005, 02:07 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHHIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

http://www.dark-movies.de/Bloodsport/Bloodsport.jpg

Also, http://www.jiggscasey.com/images/movies/bloodsport-chongli.jpg
would like to remind you to vote for Bloodsport.

2+2 wannabe
07-07-2005, 02:07 PM
i feel so retarded....

i've never seen any of these movies

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
How is that possible?

MoreWineII
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raiders is the best "adventure" film; while Die Hard is the best "action" film. Does this make sense to anybody other than me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta, but not really.

Phoenix1010
07-07-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://lesiteducinephile.ifrance.com/images/predator.jpg
"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

[/ QUOTE ]

Me and my roomie were joking that Apollo Creed needs to run for governor, since everyone else (Jesse the Body, Arnold) from Predator eventually did. That would be an awesome trifecta. Then that Indian dude could run, and then maybe the alien.

tdarko
07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
empire is the only top seed i voted for, come on bloodsport!!!!

Duke
07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then that Indian dude could run, and then maybe the alien.

[/ QUOTE ]

That dude actually did hold a political office somewhere.

~D

samjjones
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, Sonny Landham (who played "Billy") ran for governor of Kentucky in 2002. He lost /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Duke
07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, Sonny Landham (who played "Billy") ran for governor of Kentucky in 2002. He lost /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that part, but had assumed he was running from some other office, and not "dry."

~D

chaas4747
07-07-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and then maybe the alien.

[/ QUOTE ]

The inital Alien was none other than Jean Claude Van Damn.
I think some other dude took over part way through.

imported_CaseClosed326
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
All top seeds except for terminator.

swede123
07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Aliens vs. Terminator was the toughest call for me. I ended picking Aliens for a number of reasons:

1) More cool quotables
2) Bishop doing that awesome knife thing early on
3) Paul Reiser is killed in Aliens

Swede

Lady Dont Tekno
07-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Ok guys so Bloodsport is probably going to lose but hey it had a great run into the Elite Eight. But my god, Die Hard losing to Raiders right now???? This is blasphemy, and this Star Wars bullsh*t needs to stop.

If Die Hard loses this round it's not even worth voting in the other rounds. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LDT

MrWookie47
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys so Bloodsport is probably going to lose but hey it had a great run into the Elite Eight. But my god, Die Hard losing to Raiders right now???? This is blasphemy, and this Star Wars bullsh*t needs to stop.

If Die Hard loses this round it's not even worth voting in the other rounds. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

I predicted Die Hard would have a hard time getting past RotLA. I'm definitely surprised that Aliens looks like its about to get terminated.

kitaristi0
07-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Well come on, anything with Arnold is an instant classic. How could The Terminator not kick Alien's ass?

MrWookie47
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well come on, anything with Arnold is an instant classic. How could The Terminator not kick Alien's ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubting the classic-ness of any Arnold movie, but it's not like Aliens was sorely lacking of status as a classic, either. Both movies kicked some serious ass, but I thought Aliens would take it.

Actually, I think we both lied. Kindergarten Cop and Junior are not classics.

samjjones
07-07-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubting the classic-ness of any Arnold movie, but it's not like Aliens was sorely lacking of status as a classic, either. Both movies kicked some serious ass, but I thought Aliens would take it.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.sulinet.hu/ikep/2004/11/KindergartenCop1.jpg
"Its not a toom-ah!"

samjjones
07-07-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I predicted Die Hard would have a hard time getting past RotLA. I'm definitely surprised that Aliens looks like its about to get terminated.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/godzillavsmegalon/paxton.jpg
"Game over, man....game over!"

Grisgra
07-07-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aliens vs. Terminator was the toughest call for me. I ended picking Aliens for a number of reasons:

1) More cool quotables
2) Bishop doing that awesome knife thing early on
3) Paul Reiser is killed in Aliens

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

All good reasons.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Its not a toom-ah!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Running Man, which was an also ran in this thing, kind of sucked,right? And what was that Arnold/DeVito Round 2 garbage where Arnold gets pregnant??????

But I actually liked Kindergarden Cop a bit. Arnold was pretty funny.

We should have a Best (or worst) Comedy Starring an Action Hero thread.

-ptmusic

MrWookie47
07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Well, now that it looks to be Ahnold vs. Ahnold and Lucas vs. Lucas, any predictions for how it's going to shake out?

I don't think Empire deserves to win, but I think it'll take down RotLA and Terminator. I'd rather see either of those two take it.

samjjones
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Its not a toom-ah!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Running Man, which was an also ran in this thing, kind of sucked,right? And what was that Arnold/DeVito Round 2 garbage where Arnold gets pregnant??????

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop or My Mom Will Shoot
Oscar
Junior
Hudson Hawk
Firewalkers

swede123
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
That movie was Junior, pretty crappy one. Once we're done crowning this champion I'm planning to make a best comedy movie of all time tourney, so you can nominate Kindergarten Cop then!

Swede

swede123
07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, now that it looks to be Ahnold vs. Ahnold and Lucas vs. Lucas, any predictions for how it's going to shake out?

I don't think Empire deserves to win, but I think it'll take down RotLA and Terminator. I'd rather see either of those two take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about all the anti-Empire Strikes Back sentiment. It's pretty much murdered the competition so far, and is pretty widely acclaimed the best movie of a incredibly successful trilogy.

As far as the haters that don't consider it an action movie, I don't see this at all. Yes, it has elements of drama and comedy, etc. But ultimately it's a sci-fi action movie - at least in my mind.

Swede

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
where is frankenhooker?

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Its not a toom-ah!"

[/ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop or My Mom Will Shoot
Oscar
Junior
Hudson Hawk
Firewalkers

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, let's not forget "Jingle All The Way"!

-ptmusic

swede123
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
And the most recent nominee, The Pacifier.

Swede

MrWookie47
07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That movie was Junior, pretty crappy one. Once we're done crowning this champion I'm planning to make a best comedy movie of all time tourney, so you can nominate Kindergarten Cop then!

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to do a best comedy thread, I really liked how this thread was restricted to the 80's. No need to pick the 80's again, per se, but restricting the poll somewhat does a lot to quell the whiners that older classics aren't getting enough love, and if those whiners are right (as they often are), then it removes a lot of the help that newer, more commonly seen movies get.

This seems particularly true for comedies, where there are movies worthy of nomination made in every year that movies have been made.

Charlemagne
07-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't understand.. Full Metal Jacket is actually a real good movie, where SW:TESB is just special effects and Yoda. That should not make it the better action film. (And if acting is of any importance, it should be banned from this poll!)

swede123
07-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Bumping to bring up to page one, in case anyone hasn't voted. Final Four round tomorrow...

Swede

private joker
07-08-2005, 12:17 AM
The reason why this is the best poll ever is that ALL 8 OF THESE FILMS ARE SO AWESOME. Can I get an "Amen?"

EliteNinja
07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AAAAAHHHHHHHIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

http://www.dark-movies.de/Bloodsport/Bloodsport.jpg

Also, http://www.jiggscasey.com/images/movies/bloodsport-chongli.jpg
would like to remind you to vote for Bloodsport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on guys.
Bloodsport >> Predator

Bloodsport is the absolute best.

Random Quotes:
"OK USA!"
"You good fighter. You. Good. Dux my man!"
"It is American sh!thead who makes tricks with bricks."
"Just be careful Chong Li doesn't separate your head from your body."
"Very good. But brick not hit back."
"I fight to survive! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!"

Nottom