PDA

View Full Version : You need a stronger hand to overcall than to call?

RoundTower
07-07-2005, 01:05 PM
This is the first hand history I've posted here, so please be gentle. Any other information I should have posted?

I'd always believed it was much harder to overcall on the end than to call, but I don't think this applies in this hand. How did I play it?

loose pot-limit holdem/omaha game, full table, blinds E1-E2

Hero (E365) UTG+2
CO (E700) tricky, loose aggressive player
BB(E600) very loose, has been winning this session

Hero has 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop: UTG calls, Hero raises to 9, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Pot E35)
checked around

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif (Pot E35)
BB bets E10, UTG calls, Hero raises to E75, CO calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

River 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Pot E260)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets E260, BB calls, Hero ?

And what do I do if the loose player in the big blind folds on the river?

stealyourface
07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Why did you raise the turn but check the river?

Nathan183
07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I think that's a pretty easy fold. With 4 players seeing the turn, given the action, I'd say it's very likely that at least one of them has a flush.

RoundTower
07-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I raised the turn because I thought I was ahead, and that I might well get paid off. When the cutoff called on the turn, I felt there was a good chance he was trapping with a flush or a set of deuces, but that I was well ahead of the loose player who could have as little as one pair here.

On the river I checked intending to fold. The cutoff is capable of a bluff here, with something like the lone Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, or of betting with 22 (remember he is likely to get paid off by the big blind).

When the action got back to me I was being offered 780 to 260 that the cutoff was either bluffing or had 22. I thought there was at least a one in four chance of this, so I called reluctantly. If the big blind had folded I think it would be correct for me to fold.

I'm not sure if this means I should bet the river, though: the cutoff won't pay me off with a weaker hand, but the big blind will.

elus2
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
i like throwing out a blocking bet of around 1/2 pot on the river if you are confident that loose bb doesn't have a flush and that he will pay off if you bet the river. if CO gets the cojones to raise the river drop the hand since he will not be doing this with less than a flush a great majority of the time.