PDA

View Full Version : getting involved with LAGGIE

Marlow
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Let's say you are in a 6-handed NL game. A guy sits down for the max and starts to run over the table. He quickly goes up about 50BBs. Then he changes gears slightly... instead of raising every pot, he's calling. My guess is that his hands now suck, and he does not want to lose his chips, but can't stay away from the action. Then this sort of thing comes up:

He calls from UTG+1. You look down and find one of the following hands:

JTs
QJo
etc.

What do you do? (for the sake of argument, you have similar size stack. you are also on the button or CO.)

This seems to be happening every other day or so, and I'm a little turned around by it. I will say that I'm working from the assumption that he's going to give me action with almost all of his hands (but now that I think about it, I should probably be testing that assumption...). Any advice for these hands and others like them is appreciated.

Marlow
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

amoeba
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
what is your position?

Marlow
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry... I'll amend OP.

Button or CO.

amoeba
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
how do the blinds react to my button or CO raises?

I think this is my determining factor.

How UTG+1 acts really doesn't affect my preflop action.

Marlow
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do the blinds react to my button or CO raises?

[/ QUOTE ]
To a raise, they fold 75% of the time.

amoeba
07-07-2005, 12:49 PM
I think I raise JT, and QJo and limp with 55.

I still want blinds to hit top pair or something I can bust with a set if I do set with 55.

if I pair with Jt or QJ, I have a reasonable idea that I am good against UTG+1 but not perhaps not if it was multiway therefore I would raise to eliminate blinds.

if I flop a draw, because I'm in position, I can control tempo of the hand and potsize and due to his recent transition to less aggression, I could very well draw for free.

Marlow
07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. This answers my question.

It occured to me today as I was walking to work that I've been leaking money by limping behind this guy with tricky hands in the hopes that I migh tflop big and get him to commit a lot of his chips. This is a horrible way to think, and I'm glad I can now plug that leak.

Thanks again.