PDA

View Full Version : Q About War of the Worlds

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Alright, what in the hell killed the machines? I saw like half of the original, but not the ending, and I didn't read about it. The ending came very abruptly in the remake. I don't get how tanks, bazookas and crap won't kill them. Nukes and crap won't do anything, they have shields and stuff like that, but at the end they hit them with a missle and it dies? Did the shield go town or something? And why'd the machines die? Thanks.

samjjones
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, what in the hell killed the machines? I saw like half of the original, but not the ending, and I didn't read about it. The ending came very abruptly in the remake. I don't get how tanks, bazookas and crap won't kill them. Nukes and crap won't do anything, they have shields and stuff like that, but at the end they hit them with a missle and it dies? Did the shield go town or something? And why'd the machines die? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen the movie, but I know the ending follows closely to the book. Bacteria.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
They'd been planning this out for millions of years, before mankind was on this planet, and bacteria kills them? They have invisible shields that can withstand our firepower, but not bacteria? Excellent. Someone elaborate.

cwsiggy
07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
spoiler alert!!!!!

Just saw it last night. They had no immune system to our air, water etc. which humans had developed over a million years. As Morgan Freeman said at the end, they were doomed from the minute they set foot on the planet. Perhaps they didn't get affected by the bacteria until they sent the little creatures out of the ships to roam around??

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Heh, my version cut off right as Morgan said 'they were doomed' comment. Overall the movie was pretty cool.

Grisgra
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They'd been planning this out for millions of years, before mankind was on this planet, and bacteria kills them? They have invisible shields that can withstand our firepower, but not bacteria? Excellent. Someone elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much to elaborate on. In the original H.G. Wells story, the machines die from the flu. And that's pretty much that.

swede123
07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
My take on it was that maybe they had resistance to whatever bugs were present millions of years ago when they initially buried their machines on Earth. Maybe their own planet didn't have evolving eco-systems the same way Earth does, so they never planned on that particular part of the invasion. Perhaps their own civilization had gotten too caught up in technological superiority and thus neglected the biological side of things. Not saying it's the most believable plot ever, but it's a sci-fi movie, so it didn't bother me.
Swede

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Interesting.

schwza
07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it last night. They had no immune system to our air, water etc. which humans had developed over a million years. As Morgan Freeman said at the end, they were doomed from the minute they set foot on the planet. Perhaps they didn't get affected by the bacteria until they sent the little creatures out of the ships to roam around??

[/ QUOTE ]

and then for some reason the bacteria caused the shields on their mechanical tripods to stop working. one of the many things that sucked about that movie.

swede123
07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Perhaps their tripods were piloted through Telepathic means, and once the aliens started dying their machines malfunctioned. Maybe the machines were semi-organic and caught the bug just like the aliens.

Swede

superleeds
07-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Maybe it's a film.

Wintermute
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and then for some reason the bacteria caused the shields on their mechanical tripods to stop working. one of the many things that sucked about that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to be a dick. I bet you're the kind of guy who bitches about the Matrix being unrealistic because "no WAY can someone be sucked into a telephone like that"

Popinjay
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
It'd have been hilarious if there was a Pamela Anderson cameo and all the aliens died of hepatitis B.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
There's always a difference between real and unreal in these movies. When something impossible in our current world is explained as feasible in a movie, you accept it. When something doesn't make sense even in the current state of the movie, that's when things get weak.

Example: The concept of The Transporter wasn't very believable, but I accepted it as it was the concept of the movie. That was the plot so I went with it.. but as soon as that fool started doing back flips off of speeding semi trucks, killing a whole crew of gun-toting thugs with a hatchet and then dodging 3785786767 bullets from machine guns, I decided it sucked. Chea.

schwza
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's always a difference between real and unreal in these movies. When something impossible in our current world is explained as feasible in a movie, you accept it. When something doesn't make sense even in the current state of the movie, that's when things get weak.

Example: The concept of The Transporter wasn't very believable, but I accepted it as it was the concept of the movie. That was the plot so I went with it.. but as soon as that fool started doing back flips off of speeding semi trucks, killing a whole crew of gun-toting thugs with a hatchet and then dodging 3785786767 bullets from machine guns, I decided it sucked. Chea.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.

but my real beef with war of the worlds is that there was absolutely no way to understand what was supposed to be the central idea of the plot until morgan freeman says "oh, they all died cause they were sick."

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that was definitely pretty crappy. I guess technically the characters in the movie didn't have any idea either, so whatever. The effects were pretty cool. Overall I liked it.

Also, in the original, were the machines really coming from the ground? They added all of that crap into the story, right? I saw the original a while ago and I just remember them appearing. Obviously there were no EMPs in the original, so how did they appear? Just flew down and started shooting sht?

tdarko
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
yeah i hate it when my metal gets a nasty cold and i have to feed it ginger ale and ice cream.

swede123
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
In the original they came crashing down in big capsules, containing the tripods. People thought it was meteroites at first, until they opened up and started blasting everyone.

Swede

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks.

superleeds
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
You do know that originally it was a book?

And the original film was crap?

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Yes, I know it was a book. I don't know if the film was crap, I haven't seen it in it's entirety. I do know that Orsen Welle's broadcast of War of the Worlds was very convincing and caused mass hysteria throughout the towns of the listeners. Cool stuff.

The once and future king
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Actualy the reason given in the book is that they were so technologicaly advanced they had conquered disease so long ago on there planet that they had literaly forgoten about it as a problem.

That said even though I enjoyed the film, it had suckage on several levels and the adaptation from the book was poor.

1.They buried the machines 1,000,000 years ago but wait till now to invade. This could have been handled alot better. I didnt buy into this idea.

2. In the book H.G. Wells waits till man is utterly fecked up and hero is so depressed by this that he decides to commit suicide. When he runs towards a machine so that it will kill him he finds it disabled etc etc. However an Alien Invasion is more likely than Spielberg making a film with this dark of an ending. IMHO the segway into the revelation that the machines were ill and fecked was clumsy and too abrubt thus making suspension of disbelief much harder.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actualy the reason given in the book is that they were so technologicaly advanced they had conquered disease so long ago on there planet that they had literaly forgoten about it as a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually pretty cool. Did it say why they wanted to invade us? Bury the machines, wait 1,000,000 years til we're somewhat advanced, then pillage our planet and steal everything?

The once and future king
07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
In the book they arrive (more plausibly) in asteroids, then emerge from them.

Ulysses
07-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Skeme,

Did you walk out of the remake before it finished?

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
No, but I paused it to go get some Dr. Pepper.

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, my version cut off right as Morgan said 'they were doomed' comment. Overall the movie was pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie wasn't the greatest, but if you are going to see a huge budget scifi action flick, it should be seen in a great theater with a great screen and sound! If you saw some crappy cutoff pirated version, you're not just a thief, you are stupid!

-ptmusic

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I'm downloading the latest movies with decent quality, perfect sound, and without paying for them. I'm truly stupid.

Eegs
07-07-2005, 05:43 PM
They die the same way the Indians did, the WHITE MAN

Ulysses
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm downloading the latest movies with decent quality, perfect sound, and without paying for them. I'm truly stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe he thought you were stupid because you didn't understand how the aliens died even though there was a voiceover and visuals describing exactly what happened.

swede123
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe he thought you were stupid because you didn't understand how the aliens died even though there was a voiceover describing exactly what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put, Diablo.

Swede

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Unless you have a HUGE screen tv, and a mountain of subwoofers and speakers in a completely dark large room. But your cheap ass will never make enough money to enjoy anything close to that, unless you scrounge up a few more bucks from flipping burgers and go to the movie theater, perhaps with that thing you call your girlfriend.

Watching a big budget flick on a small screen with shiity consumer speakers is stupid, forget about the theft part.

-ptmusic

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe he thought you were stupid because you didn't understand how the aliens died even though there was a voiceover and visuals describing exactly what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe I'm starting to think you're stupid as I've previously stated that my version of the video, which I downloaded to my computer, cut off right as Morgan Freeman began talking near the end.

Are you purposely being an idiot?

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I have a 19" Flat Screen monitor right in front of my face. I wear good headphones that actually capture the sound perfectly. Unfortunately, loud noises and surround sound don't create a good movie. Seeing this movie in the theatre won't change my perspective on it. At all.

If I wanted to see this movie badly I would've went to the [censored] theatre. I didn't want to see it that badly, so I downloaded it out of boredom. Please stop talking immediately.

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 19" Flat Screen monitor right in front of my face. I wear good headphones that actually capture the sound perfectly. Unfortunately, loud noises and surround sound don't create a good movie. Seeing this movie in the theatre won't change my perspective on it. At all.

If I wanted to see this movie badly I would've went to the [censored] theatre. I didn't want to see it that badly, so I downloaded it out of boredom. Please stop talking immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, your piece of crap film setup, your shiity cutoff stolen files, your poor ethics, and your laughable net worth all deserve each other.

-ptmusic

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Whatever the [censored] that means.

Ulysses
07-07-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe I'm starting to think you're stupid as I've previously stated that my version of the video, which I downloaded to my computer, cut off right as Morgan Freeman began talking near the end.

Are you purposely being an idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I asked you whether or not you stopped watching before it finished. Your reply implied that you watched 'til it finished. I did not bother to read all of your responses to see if you responded otherwise to someone else.

ptmusic
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the [censored] that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of cheap bastard do you not understand?

-ptmusic

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. I asked you whether or not you stopped watching before it finished. Your reply implied that you watched 'til it finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I implied that I had nothing to walk out of as I was never in a theatre. I referred to the movie as, "my version." Even if it was in a theatre, this implies that the ending of the movie was never shown to me. Not that I left anywhere and missed it due to other engagements.

If you somehow couldn't comprehend that, how do you suppose I paused the movie in a theatre to go get something to drink? You think I walked upstairs and halted the reel in the projector room? You're smarter than this, D.

[ QUOTE ]
I did not bother to read all of your responses to see if you responded otherwise to someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but you quoted my statement where I clarify even further that I am watching a pirated bootleg of the movie on my computer. Couple your knowledge that I was watching a bootlegged theatre rip with the fact that I had previously said, "My version cut off right as Morgan said 'they were doomed' comment." and I don't see how you can overlook the fact that you're an idiot.

Ulysses
07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Diablo: [ QUOTE ]

Did you walk out of the remake before it finished?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the point of that question was whether or not you watched the movie to the end.

Skeme: [ QUOTE ]

No, but I paused it to go get some Dr. Pepper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it was in a theatre, this implies that the ending of the movie was never shown to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? No. It implies that you paused it, not that you didn't continue watching after you got your Dr. Pepper. And the most reasonable additional inference to be drawn from that response couple with your initial message was that you were too dumb to understand the explanation.

No, I did not bother to read your other messages. But I did read this:

Yeah, I'm downloading the latest movies with decent quality, perfect sound, and missing the ending and without paying for them. I'm truly stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo: [ QUOTE ]

I did not bother to read all of your responses to see if you responded otherwise to someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I referred to the movie as, "my version."

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but you quoted my statement where I clarify even further that I am watching a pirated bootleg of the movie on my computer. Couple your knowledge that I was watching a bootlegged theatre rip with the fact that I had previously said, "My version cut off right as Morgan said 'they were doomed' comment." and I don't see how you can overlook the fact that you're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of "didn't read other responses" did you not understand? Of course in my followup I knew you were watching a pirated bootleg since information was in the message I responded to. But you were so proud of your movie-watching experience, why on earth would I imagine you are so happy to be watching PIRATED MOVIES THAT DON'T HAVE THE ENDING!?!!?! Now I understand why TSC thinks you're such a tard.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, the point of that question was whether or not you watched the movie to the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered this in my second reply. Perhaps you should read my posts before you make random assumptions?

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? No. It implies that you paused it, not that you didn't continue watching after you got your Dr. Pepper

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'd already stated that the ending was not in the version I was watching. You made the assumption that I was in a theatre and that I might've walked out before the ending, which is asinine.

Even if I did pause it to get something to drink, I still need to unpause it, your stupid pausing theory holds no water. Pausing stops the video instantly, it doesn't skip ahead of anything. I said I watched the movie, not paused and stopped it directly before the ending.

[ QUOTE ]
why on earth would I imagine you are so happy to be watching PIRATED MOVIES THAT DON'T HAVE THE ENDING!?!!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't advertised in the title that it's missing the last sentence of a 2 hour movie. This information is readily available, it didn't ruin anything. All I had to do was make a thread on 2+2.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I understand why TSC thinks you're such a tard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I made him look stupid in an old thread on my former name, blocked him on Soul Seek and made fun of his stupidity?

I'm done with this. I'm going to watch One Flew.. in case it doesn't have the ending, wtf did Chief do with that fountain?

Sponger15SB
07-07-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's a film.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/collections/1988/images/df1988-1488.gif

Sponger15SB
07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug: In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a [the three nerds chuckle] magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

June: Uh, well, uh...

Homer: I'll field that one. Let me ask you a question. Why would a man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

Doug: [embarrassed pause] I withdraw my question. [starts eating a candy bar]

Yeti
07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Watching a big budget flick on a small screen with shiity consumer speakers is stupid, forget about the theft part.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yugoslavian
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I thought the movie was fairly lame....I thought the same thing about this thread until El D showed up.

Oh....while it's not confusing why the machines stopped and whatever in the movie it is confusing how this can be explained. And I have yet to find out why we watch like 1 or 2 not likable characters just muck around for a day or so while the aliens are slowly dying. I mean.....just watching Tom Cruise run through an obstacle course for 1.5 hours isn't really my idea of 'great summer movie'....perhaps if there was a naked chick...or some humor....or like any sort of cool character interaction....

Yugoslav

Charlemagne
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I think the story just sucks!

Spielberg should’ve let those aliens land in asteroids. At least then I’d 'believe' the machines would malfunction because of bacteria. I’d think they were partly organic or something and it could make sense they’d 'die' from bacteria. But those machines were here already in this version of the story. If the machines couldn’t cope with the bacteria, no way they’d still be operational after such a long time. So I don’t see why their shields could be gone because of the bacteria.
I actually think the idea in general of them being buried is ridiculous. They’d probably be crushed by the earth’s seismic activity or something.

I think it’s a nice movie to watch.. and up until the end I kinda liked it.. if only they’d let those alien son’s of bitches arrive on 'asteroids', I might’ve liked it. This way however, the story ruins it (for me).

Yeti
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...or some humor....

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you missed the baseball scene, and the sandwiches scene. I laughed lots at the latter.

AceHigh
07-07-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps they didn't get affected by the bacteria until they sent the little creatures out of the ships to roam around??

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't they just go to Walmart and buy a couple of cases of anti-bactierial soap - problem solved?

andyfox
07-07-2005, 11:08 PM
You're so misunderstood.

swede123
07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
The greatest line of the movie is when Tom is racing away in the stolen minivan. He tells his son the attackers aren't from here, and the son asks "from Europe?" Lots of laughs at that one.

Swede

-Skeme-
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah, lots of funny moments. The baseball scene was great. "Is that why you're such a dick?"

Sponger15SB
07-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Saw the movie today, thought it sucked. Roger Ebert is the man, he will tell you all the other crap I thought about it....

Robert Ebert review of War of the Worlds (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050628/REVIEWS/50606007)

07-22-2005, 03:58 AM
They died because they haven't grown an immune system to fight the germs that we've grown accustomed to in our every day environment due to thousands upon thousands of years of exposure to them.

-Skeme-
07-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Thanks yo, had no idea.