PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments to an odd structure

MrG
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Blinds are 1.00 and 2.00 but minimum bet stays at 2.00 throughout.
The turn and river bets are NOT 4.00
Tables full of very loose players(5-6 to the flop, frequent cold calls, people going to the river with like J2o with a board of A T 4 6.)
I sat for about four hours and won but felt I could have won much more with a few adjustments.
I am trying to think things through this morning. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, - MrG

nervous
07-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Play fewer hands and when you do, don't slowplay at all.

pokerrookie
07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Playing in florida, I presume...

Was there once (Melbourne greyhound park), got killed by that game as my KK, AA, JJ, QQ, AK never seemed to holdup with that many players seeing the flop. One of the "experts" at the table told me I was wrong for raising with these hands, and I needed to wait for the flop and turn to know that I was still ahead with these hands. And while I lost a bit (variance is a bitch), I have little doubt this "expert" was incorrect.

However, I do think you have to play more speculative hands for a flop. Perhaps cold-calling is not even terrible with low pockets and suited aces and connectors. Now that seems to be the easy adjustment. The real question is how do you protect your good hands. And I dont think you can. Just value bet, value bet, value bet and hope the hands hold up.

MrWookie47
07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I had this debate with another 2+2er a month or two ago, but I don't remember who. I'm not sure if I can dig up the link.

Anyway, in this sort of structure, the value of speculative hands goes way, way down. Suited connectors, the value of which comes from hitting and getting paid off big on the flop and the turn, are no longer good to be played. You have to invest too much preflop for a long shot postflop. Limping in this structure bears a strong resemblance to cold calling in the usual structure.

Consequently, you're looking to play only hands with a lot of equity preflop: those packing significant high card strength, and pocket pairs when you can get in for one bet. This should result in a much tighter game on your part. Now, since the game is as loose as you describe, you can probably play more hands than that if you think that more speculative hands can get paid off sufficiently.

One last thing: there's no such thing as waiting until the turn to raise. Your only shot at hand protection is on the flop. After the flop, everyone will have proper odds to chase with anything. You will only be able to bet/raise for value.

MrG
07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input. While I was playing I was remember thinking "This is like a low-limit Omaha table. If there is a flush on the board someone has it. If there is a st8 on the board someone has it." And the idea of protecting your hand is laughable. Value bet and hold on for your life. It seems profitable but the variance is a bit high.

Forgot to add that the rake was $4 max and was one half of the number of players.
10-8 players-$4
7-6 players-$3
5-4 players-$2

MrG
07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Mr.Wookie-

Found your previous post from a few months ago on a st8 $2 game. Thanks for your fine analysis. I can't wait to get back into the game. -MrG

wpzone
07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I play a similar game once in awhile, 5-5. Two $5 blinds..min/max bet/raise of $5 each round, 5-8 people seeing the flop. No such thing a protection bets in this game. Last time I had people calling 3 cold with hands like 93s normally good I know. Once the pot gets that big, they have the odds to chase on later streets and they do, runner runner for the straight in a $150 pot. Ive tried several different strategies, but it basically comes down to who can outdraw who each night. Thank god I only play it for fun every couple of months.