PDA

View Full Version : Limp raising AA and KK.

DMACM
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Does anyone out there do this at any stake? It seems to make a lot of sense to me at the 11's.

zambonidrivr
07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
all the time. especially late in tournies where shoties or 2+2'ers will push with garbage.

early on, make the standard raise

citanul
07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, I do it at many stakes. I'll also limp reraise a few other hands, situationally. I probably can't give you an exact breakdown of my limp v raise percentages for AA/KK, but it's a mix, not all one way or the other. Clearly some tables are more ripe than others for the limp reraise. Sometimes you'll have already gotten that information by the time you see the cards, and sometimes not. My point I think being that there are tables where limping up front is clearly better than raising, and tables where raising is clearly better than limping, but often you don't have that information yet.

The key to being able to do this is to not lose your whole stack every time you are beaten after there is no raise behing you.

citanul

citanul
07-07-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
all the time. especially late in tournies where shoties or 2+2'ers will push with garbage.

early on, make the standard raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, yuck. I think he was talking about limp reraising, not limping as a trap late in the game. That's a different sort of thing entirely. Not that I'm saying that limping to trap with large blinds and desperate short stacks (or PVS) behind you is a bad thing.

As the OP was asking about limp reraising, which is clearly asking about fairly early in the tournament, perhaps instead of just "make the standard raise" you'd like to provide some reasoning of why you think that the standard raise is better 100% of the time than attempting to limp reraise?

citanul

DMACM
07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes I was talking about early on?

I only asked this because I just stopped limp raising in SSNL it seems to make much more sense here though.

Thanks for responses.

zambonidrivr
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
I took this as min raising. Perhaps i have the terminology wrong. On the 30's this seems to work well for me. Many players will view this as a monster (late/bubble), but I think the majority sees it as a weak attempt to steal blinds.

Early on in tournament, I like the standard 3-4x raise. With deeper stacks in relation to blinds, there's bound to be more action. When I am lucky to have them, I'd like to have 1-2 callers.

Phill S
07-07-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I took this as min raising. Perhaps i have the terminology wrong. On the 30's this seems to work well for me. Many players will view this as a monster (late/bubble), but I think the majority sees it as a weak attempt to steal blinds.

Early on in tournament, I like the standard 3-4x raise. With deeper stacks in relation to blinds, there's bound to be more action. When I am lucky to have them, I'd like to have 1-2 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping all the time to look for re-raises is ok. Allways raising standard is also ok. The raise is safer than the limp and like citanul said, if you cant escape from an 'ok' flop, you shouldnt be limping to reraise.

Personally i mix up my play for the situation, sometimes randomly, sometimes on my perception of the table. There is no 'one size fits all' in poker, unfortunately.

Phill

pergesu
07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I like to limp from UTG or UTG+1, cause you can almost always pwn somebody for their stack.

[ QUOTE ]
The key to being able to do this is to not lose your whole stack every time you are beaten after there is no raise behing you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't go broke in an unraised pot. That's some poker cliche I heard about aces a long time ago. Or an ingenious nugget of wisdom from my brilliant poker mind.

DMACM
07-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Nah thats from Doyle Brunson's mind /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tminus
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
only if im late and its been folded to me
any more than 2 other players involved and im raising my normal amount

pergesu
07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I think he's talking about limp-reraising...so you really gotta be in early position for it to make sense. Obviously if you only have two or three players to act behind you, you're a lot less likely to see a raise than if there are 8 or 9.

Phill S
07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's talking about limp-reraising...so you really gotta be in early position for it to make sense. Obviously if you only have two or three players to act behind you, you're a lot less likely to see a raise than if there are 8 or 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping AA/KK with only a couple of people to act is clearly not right - i only limp when in early position and when the blinds are small.

My general rule is:
Big blind <100
No of players left to act 7+

Obvious exceptions are if theres been a limper then i pop in a raise to avoid umbrella limping. I limp in later position (5 or so to act), but only with reads on known aggressive players.

Ive also limped with huge blinds shorthanded but as citanul pointed out, thats a different concept entirely.

Phill

TomHimself
07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
heres a link to a discussion about this with paul phillips
RGP discussion (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.gambling.poker/browse_frm/thread/5c0535843793a9a9/3434435ef8e10658?q=paul+and+phillips+and+aces+and+ limping&rnum=1&hl=en#3434435ef8e10658) Paul P's journal discussion (http://extempore.livejournal.com/103081.html) I love limp reraising with AA, but i mix it up, i usually just open-raise

Slim Pickens
07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
I only like this play when I find a hyper-aggressive table, which seems rare. Maybe 1 in 10 tables at the 22's let me feel comfortable trying a limp-reraise from EP with a monster. Usually if I limp from EP, someone limps behind, someone else limps, and then the Limp-lympics start and I've got to play a six-way unraised pot against straight and flush draws. That sucks. On the other hand, people have no idea what a 3BB raise from UTG means, and are perfectly willing to create a three-way pot I can then check-raise all-in on the flop. Point is, if I thought it would work at the levels I play I'd love to limp-reraise preflop, but as a safer alternative, I like the standard raise as a way of winning a decent-sized pot almost all of the time.

SlimP