PDA

View Full Version : 109o in position to a raise?

Maulik
07-07-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm tempted to pull one off here in position to see the flop. I'd be more so if this were suited but that wouldn't add much value SH. Terrible idea?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($94.7)
Hero ($98.5)
SB ($50.75)
BB ($85.85)
UTG ($286.67)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Final Pot: $4.50

Guy McSucker
07-07-2005, 08:58 AM
This depends very strongly on what his UTG raising standards are and how likely he is to double you up if you outflop him.

For this kind of play you often want him to be a tight UTG raiser, so that he has a hand like AA or KK a lot, so that you can get paid off when you flop two pair or a straight. To be honest, I'd really want a deeper stack, too, because you only have 33-1 implied odds. Outflopping AA is hard to do, and he'll sometimes redraw against you and/or not come all-in with you. An A99 or AT9 flop will hurt you, too. You'd like to get paid off at 40-1 or better when all goes well to make up for some of this.

Suitedness does help: it gives you more ways to outflop him and the chance to flop big draws like OESD+flush draw or pair+flush draw which you can play profitably with position.

The straightforward play, if you're not confident you can outplay this guy, is to fold.

By the way, you'll probably get more responses in the NL/PL forums.

Guy.

Maulik
07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't like posting lots of hands in the NL/PL forums as most of the players don't like trying to outplay people on the flop.

This does not seem to be the case here. Please discuss.

college_boy
07-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Posting 6 hands at once is not ok.

edit: Make that 7