PDA

View Full Version : How often do you open-limp?

tizim
07-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I've been faced with many situations lately where open-limping seems profitable, but I've been advised so many times not to do it.

Some random situations off the top of my head (all at 6-max): Would you openlimp with...

1) 55 UTG at a LAGgy table
2) T9s on the CO-- button and BB are VERY loose pre and postflop.
3) Q8s in the above situation.
4) T9s on the HJ with loose-passive players behind you and in the blinds.

I'm tired as hell right now and can't think of any better examples. If you guys can think of other situations where you open-limp, I'd be glad to hear them. Good night.

Grisgra
07-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I voted "occasionally" even though it's probably like 1 in every 500 hands at best. When the game gets 3-4 handed and my opponents are extraordinarily loose (coldcalling with Q5o in the SB, that kind of thing) then I'll lean towards doing more open-limping with super marginal hands. (I'll raise the same hands sometimes too, of course.)

Unfortunately, I rarely find myself in a spot where I can open-limp UTG with small pockets and expect that the pot will be unraised by the time it hits the big blind /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Mig
07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I do limp with hands like 9Ts on the button when the 2 blinds are really passive calling station that will not raise PF but will call with any 2...

beerbandit
07-07-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) 55 UTG at a LAGgy table

[/ QUOTE ]

if i do its usually in this situation

no to often though

cheers

Wynton
07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't understand the argument for open-limping wih 55 utg at a laggy table. By laggy table, do you mean that someone is likely to raise, but that at least 2 others will be seeing the flop?

tizim
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the argument for open-limping wih 55 utg at a laggy table. By laggy table, do you mean that someone is likely to raise, but that at least 2 others will be seeing the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and my implied odds are huge.

IGMorton
07-07-2005, 09:31 PM
i ran some simulations on poker stove. there are some hands that can win heads up but definitely prefer more opponents even if the pot will be raised (indicating the opponents are holding top 50% hands).

if it's a loose table with 4-5 people seeing the average flop and some of them likely to cold call.... open raising UTG with hands like 55-77 and QJs, QTs, JTs typically gets you 1 or 2 opponents with a good hand. i limp these hands (only UTG) at such a table and typically get 3 or 4 opponents. my implied odds are huge and the hand is much easier to play.

i realize i must open-raise a lot for meta-game considerations. but, at my stakes (3/6) i really don't think my opponents pay much attention to how often i limp or raise.