PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tells

ChipLeader
07-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Before i start, id like to note that I am aware of the many universal tells, such as those that Caro has highlighted in his many works. With that said...

How do you practice picking up tells (besides playin an ungodly amount). For example, i play in a home tourny about twice a week with fields that range from 10-30 players, 20.00 buy in. I noticed that a lot of people have "player specific" tells but i rarely get to see what they mean since they dont show their holdings often. One player for example sometimes says "All in" as he slides his stack in, sometimes just slides his stack in with a cold stare and without a word, and sometimes just says "all in" and waves his hand in a motion implying a push. I am fairly confident that the way he makes this move has some value tieing to his hand, but he never really gets called so i dont know how to compare the motions.
There are also things that i do not know if they are even a tell but suspect they might be, such as when a player takes a sip of his drink compared to when he doesnt. Like if he bets then takes a sip, this could mean more or less strength than when he bets and doesnt do anything, or could just mean he isnt thirsty.

I guess what im trying to get at is when you dont get to see many showdowns, how do you pick up new tells and verify the ones you already suspect?

wtfsvi
07-07-2005, 09:10 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I guess what im trying to get at is when you dont get to see many showdowns, how do you pick up new tells and verify the ones you already suspect?

[/ QUOTE ] Call? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just play more hands and you'll see the showdowns. Or don't care about tells and bluff your pants off if people never call. (As if.)

The TriColor
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
play long enuff and you'll know... Seeing their hands will happen in time but for you at this point.... whether or not they sip there coffee is irrel. Just focus on the basics like table chatter. In local games the majority of the time people dont ever shut up. focuse and everything will fall into place.