PDA

View Full Version : Divorcing the Need for Showdown? Or plain o'le bad play with JJ?

rikz
07-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($51.5)
BB ($44.5)
UTG ($33.2)
UTG+1 ($55.2)
UTG+2 ($57.5)
MP1 ($51.1)
MP2 ($55)
MP3 ($49.5)
CO Villain ($63.6)
Button ($34.5)

I was multi-tabling, and had no read on Villain. Even looking back in PT, I don't have enough hands with Villain to give a good read.

I read an article in the Magazine section of 2+2 by Drew Pruitt, “Divorcing the Need for Showdown.”

So, I tried some of that advice here, but I’m not sure I applied it right. Basically, I folded to the last $5 on the river because given the action, there was nothing that I could beat. Did I save $5? Did I waste $10 with my bets on the turn and river?

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO Villain calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO Villain calls $1.50, Button folds.

I thought JJ in this position was worth a standard raise.

Flop: ($5) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Villain calls $3.

I made a $3 continuation bet. This was probably too small with the straight and flush draws on the board. If I could do this again, I’d bet $5.

Turn: ($11) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Villain calls $5.

OK? More? Less?

River: ($21) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $10</font>, Hero folds.

I make a blocking bet, then fold to the reraise. Should I have just check/folded?

Final Pot: $36

imported_anacardo
07-07-2005, 02:59 AM
That's not a "standard raise," preflop. Make it $3 or $4. You're out of position and should probably protect/define your hand quickly.

Pot the flop. Half-pot the turn. Villain should be long gone by now. If he's not, I hate that river, and probably check-fold or check-call something reasonable, like 1/3rd of the pot.

fuzzbox
07-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Raising JJ in ep is ok.
JJ, on that flop - does not want to see anymore cards. Bet that flop HARD. If you get called - then his most likely hand is a flush draw. If the turn is a non-club and he has called then bet the turn HARD. If he calls THAT - then he probably has you beat or is stubborn with a flush draw. Thus - if the club comes on the river you can safely check-fold.

I bet 5 on the flop - if he calls then I bet 12-15 on the turn. I check fold the river.

I think you can probably check-fold the river in your situation.

djoyce003
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
i raise JJ more preflop, I full pot the flop and the turn. That will usually make draws go away. Check fold that river, every draw on earth just hit.

theben
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
bring the hammer down on the flop. full put it and see what happens. if you get called, consider checking the turn for pot control, or betting 3/4 pot on the turn and being careful on the river