PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 2+2 fishermen

vetman81
07-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Looking at getting a new rod and reel, and I am thinking about getting a baitcaster. How hard is it to learn how to use one of these? All I have ever used are push button spincast reels and openfaced spinning reels. How big of an adjustment will there be? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good one under $100? Thanks.

PokerBob
07-07-2005, 01:06 AM
abu garcia 6500. what are you fishing for?

Vote4Pedro
07-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Ive used baitcasters a few times and I liked them a lot. It took me a few casts to figure it out, but after that it was cake. I dont have any recommendations for specific setups or brands, but you should defintely checkout a local sporting goods store and ask their experts. Good luck

M2d
07-07-2005, 01:14 AM
it was pretty easy for me to get used to a baitcaster, but I've been throwing big conventionals for a while now.
where are you fishing, what are you fishing for, and what style (bait, lures (what type), etc).

Biloxi
07-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Im also looking for a new reel and Ive tested out many different ones. Bait casting is not that hard IF you get a reel with brake system, which most decent reels do. The abu garcia 6500 is fine, but I prefer Shimano. Coriolis, Corsair, and Corvalus are all excellent reels with VBS.
"VBS helps 'educate' your thumb until you get the feel of the casting technique. As your thumb 'learns' -- turn off individual weights and watch your casting distance soar."

vetman81
07-07-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where are you fishing, what are you fishing for, and what style (bait, lures (what type), etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be fishing in lakes and ponds in KS and MO for bass and crappie mostly. I generally use lures but I do use live bait once in a while. I like using small jigs and in line spinners.

Vote4Pedro
07-07-2005, 01:27 AM
My friends ranch has a nice little lagoon that they keep stocked with bass and maybe bluegill? We used a variety of lures that he had in his tacklebox. All this took place in central california btw.

vetman81
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Just bumping to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Shajen
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Just curious, why the desire to get a different setup?

I love open faced reels.

Have you considered a fly rod? Not sure what type of fishing you plan on doing. (I'll read the other posts now)

EDIT: after reading the other posts, I think a little more info is in order. What are you fishing for and where? Stream, lake, from a boat, on the shore, etc...

M2d
07-07-2005, 02:46 PM
given your quarry, and the tackle used to go after them, I'd stick to a light or medium-light spinning reel. you're probably going to want to stick to 4-8 lb test for the bass and crappie, and a lighter rod to throw small jigs and inline spinners. baitcasters this small are a pain and counter productive.

how much are you looking to spend?
just re-read the first post. i'll take a look around the internet to see if I can find some setups in your price range.

M2d
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
in your price range, I'd look at the cheaper diawa reels and an ugly stick rod or one of the catalog brand rods (cabelas or bass pro shops). Shimano makes great reels, but their lower end sucks donkey balls. daiwa's low end is much more serviceable than the shimano stuff. penn's smaller stuff isn't as good as daiwa, either (their big game reels are great, though). Okuma makes some good reels in the30-40 dollar range. Quantum =meh. they feel great out of the box, but they don't stand up to long term use at all. something like
daiwa samurai (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0019418117474a&navAction=push&navCou nt=8&indexId=cat20333&podId=0019418&catalogCode=IF &parentId=cat20333&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2 Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&hasJS=true)
is a pretty good bottom end reel. not a shimano stella, but it will give you years of good use if you don't run it over with your car.

look for a reel with a line rating for 6 lb test or so. that'll give you about the right size you're looking for. pair it with a rod of about 6'6" or 7" and rated for about 4-10 lb test line.

Biloxi
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
nice avatar shajen

whats the poundage on that bad boy? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shajen
07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice avatar shajen

whats the poundage on that bad boy? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little fella.../images/graemlins/grin.gif (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0629_050629_giantcatfish.html)

Biloxi
07-08-2005, 02:13 PM
OMG how the hell did they catch that thing. Its bigger then most sharks!
It could easily take a arm off CHOMP

siccjay
07-08-2005, 05:17 PM
lmao

i went to the lake last weekend and the whole time i kept thinkin about the big ass catfish swimming under me

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 06:36 PM
PM me the use of the rig and i'll reccomend one. baitcasters, IMO are very overrated.

fim