PDA

View Full Version : Live game limit to online limit correlation?

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 12:38 AM
How do the skils to beat a particular limit online correltate to a live game? For instance if i beat 2/4 full or 1/2 SH for 3bb/100 what limits live should I give a shot?

Stinglikeabee
07-07-2005, 02:26 AM
I'd try out 6-12 or 8-16 depending on how big your bankroll is and how comfortable you feel playing those limits.

csuf_gambler
07-07-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do the skils to beat a particular limit online correltate to a live game? For instance if i beat 2/4 full or 1/2 SH for 3bb/100 what limits live should I give a shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

live 20/40 = party .5/1

Pat Southern
07-07-2005, 04:11 AM
From my limited live experience, play the highest limit your bankroll will allow. In general people suck at all limits in live play.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hah. Would you still think its funny when I was begging for chaneg outside the Bellagio?

The TriColor
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Well... obviously everything depends on your bankroll and the actual cardroom your playing at. If your playing at the local card hall with 3 tables you'll find out real fast... but if your at vegas with hundreds of table options and you can pick your spot i think you could do well at most 10-20 , 20-40 games. I honestly beleive at those relative limits 15-30 is the best game out there due to the blind structure. My friend plays 3-4 tables at 2-4 daily. sadly you need only about 2k more of a br to run a smooth 10-20. If your not that comfortable with those stakes or playing live then i suggest staying at about 5-10, although the swings will be higher cause the skill drops dramatically.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
I've been playing the live 3/6 games here and only have about 30 hours in but am up 5BB/hour. I have seen how bad the live play can be.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I meant 8BB/hour.

highlife
07-07-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing the live 3/6 games here and only have about 30 hours in but am up 5BB/hour. I have seen how bad the live play can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 hrs is not enough time to even attach a BB/hr to it. Thats like two days of cards for some people. With that said if you are really beating the online 2/4 games that handily, I suggest playing between 4/8 and 6/12, you should fit in fine.

PokerMatt
07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree with playing the highest limit you can afford. The live players are unbelievably bad.

The last time I played a limit ring game at the Trop I found out how truly bad they can be. Minimum 5 players seeing the flop, usually 8 or 9. Mostly all calling stations. One girl directly to my right was raising and reraising hands like T7o before the flop. Not all of the time, just whenever she felt like it. Another time she reraised an inside straight on the turn (no other draws and she hadn't acted on the turn yet); I started cracking up when she turned over her straight on the showdown /images/graemlins/smile.gif. But the funniest was that I don't think she knew that you are allowed to check. Several times in a heads up pot she simply folded on the river when she was first to act; I couldn't believe it! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Many of the other players were similar to her, but that should give you a taste of the types of people you will come across. Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

If you can beat .50/1.00 then you'll have no problem with the lower level limit games.

BoogerFace
07-07-2005, 01:50 PM
There is none. Well maybe there would be one if Party and skins delivered drinks to peoples computers. Or if you could find a HUD to find out what percentage the dude in the 4 seat raises preflop. Or if you have a lot of experience playing single tables without music/TV/web.

Are you talking about going pro B+M or do you just want to get your feet wet live? If the latter take a shot a 10/20 or play 2/4 just to get out of the house. Realize that it's entirely possible you may loose your first buyin.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah i know 30 hours isn't much at all. My point was more to demonstrate i know how bad live players can be.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I mean I am going to be in vegas next week and would like to play as high as i can afford without getting out of my skill level, at least not too far. My bankroll online and live combined is around $2600. Online I am just moving up to 3/6 6Max.

csuf_gambler
07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hah. Would you still think its funny when I was begging for chaneg outside the Bellagio?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasn't trying to be funny. it's true, no joke.

Percula
07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
The higher you get playing live, the trickier and more aggressive the players will become. If you can handle the agression and know that you are going to run into some tricky/solid players from time to time, play as high as your funds allow.

smb394
07-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Generally speaking, I'd say a 2 level difference. i.e. $2-4 Party---->$6/12 B&M, $3-6 party--->$10-20B&M. This is partly from my limited experience, but more the general viewpoint I sense off this board.

As with online, make sure to practice good table selection, and play within your bankroll.

SlyGuy
07-07-2005, 11:48 PM
I am just coming off 20k hands of 1/2 SH and my full ring might be a little rusty. I think i'll start with 4/8 and move up from there.

coyote
07-08-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? you imply that live limit players across limits levels are unbelieveably bad and then you give an elaborate example to prove it, only to finish the story by saying it was at a 2/4 table???

WTF I mean, why even bother with it? You just described damn near every 2/4 game I've ever played in. That doesn't speak to the level of play at higher limits, 15/30, 20/40 etc...

Dacoops3
07-08-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with playing the highest limit you can afford. The live players are unbelievably bad.

The last time I played a limit ring game at the Trop I found out how truly bad they can be. Minimum 5 players seeing the flop, usually 8 or 9. Mostly all calling stations. One girl directly to my right was raising and reraising hands like T7o before the flop. Not all of the time, just whenever she felt like it. Another time she reraised an inside straight on the turn (no other draws and she hadn't acted on the turn yet); I started cracking up when she turned over her straight on the showdown /images/graemlins/smile.gif. But the funniest was that I don't think she knew that you are allowed to check. Several times in a heads up pot she simply folded on the river when she was first to act; I couldn't believe it! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Many of the other players were similar to her, but that should give you a taste of the types of people you will come across. Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

If you can beat .50/1.00 then you'll have no problem with the lower level limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you remember when this was? I think I was at your table.

PokerMatt
07-09-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for me, I was completely card dead and ended up losing $50 (it was only 2/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? you imply that live limit players across limits levels are unbelieveably bad and then you give an elaborate example to prove it, only to finish the story by saying it was at a 2/4 table???

WTF I mean, why even bother with it? You just described damn near every 2/4 game I've ever played in. That doesn't speak to the level of play at higher limits, 15/30, 20/40 etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

My intention was to talk about the lower limits, I don't know how you get the impression that I'm saying there are horrible players in every single game. Since the original poster beats 2/4 and 1/2 SH online I'm assuming he isn't going to want to play a significantly higher limit like 15/30 where he could lose his bankroll in a couple of bad sessions. My example was to show how the LOWER limit games are fishy, and I know friends who have had similar experiences (although not always that drastic) up to and including 6/12.

PokerMatt
07-09-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you remember when this was? I think I was at your table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it was about 3 weeks ago, give or take. I'm almost certain it was on a Monday because we came down for the 20+10 R/A tourney but just missed it because of stormy weather and rush hour traffic.

smoore
07-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Like everyone else here says, live players are HORRIBLE. IMO, if you consistently beat party 2/4 you should be able to beat 6/12 live while so drunk you can't even stack your chips... but that might just be me.