PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an increasingly common play. Open complete from SB?

JKDStudent
07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
So as I play more and more 1/2 full at Party, I've noticed this happening more and more. It gets folded around to the SB (which immediately tells me to start looking for a new table), and the SB completes.

Now the first thing that comes to mind here is that the person actually has a good hand and doesn't want to raise for fear of folding the BB. Also, I've seen many instances where the SB completes and then bets the flop, no matter what it comes. This would appear to be something of a, "I'm stealing, but don't want to look like I'm stealing," play.

However, I just set up a filter to look for any times this happens. I only got as far as the c's in my database (I got tired of scrolling), and the instances I came across disagreed with my observations. It seemed like almost every case was a matter of the SB having a crap hand. And there was also no bet on the flop from the SB without a legitimate hand.

This seems like a pretty odd play to be making, and it makes me more wary than a blind-steal. What are your observations and general thoughts on this play (aside from it being dumb)?

Quercus
07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Generally, if the SB donkcompletes and I have anything remotely decent, I'm raising. You'll pick up a fair amount uncontested and if not, it makes postflop easier.

I've seen more than a fair number of otherwise sane players make this complete with any two suited cards, ala the SSHE charts.

Dave G.
07-07-2005, 12:35 AM
My thoughts are that anyone who does this really doesn't know what they're doing. They're going to be out of position for the hand and it's going to be heads up. The pot is not going to be padded with a bunch of other peoples money, so marginal drawing hands are unplayable. If you have any A or K hand, you should raise it and take their money.

@bsolute_luck
07-07-2005, 05:42 AM
they watch too much WSOP on tv and see those players winning with crap, so they figure any 2 cards will do.