PDA

View Full Version : Wuss fold?

Olback
07-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Eurobet $30 NL sng

Was this a wuss fold?

I figured his overbet meant that he was weak and probabrly on a draw. I also figured that he would have bet less with a big hand.

I was hoping to raise him here if he bet small or push if he checked to me.

I folded figuring we were similar in chips and i could still steal effectively.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2110)
Hero (t1935)
UTG (t2415)
Button (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t800) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> Villian goes all in.
Hero folds.

Final Pot: t800

lastchance
07-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I would have folded preflop instead of making a call for a tenth of my stack, even in position. There is almost no way in hell I'm going to fold this flop.

kasey2004
07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded preflop instead of making a call for a tenth of my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

given that u did see the flop i dont see how u can drop it now

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 12:34 AM
This is an example of not connecting your preflop play with your flop play. When I call preflop, every time I ask myself what I am prepared to do in certain situations like this. For instance, if I call a pre-flop raise with, say, AQs, I will be going all-in with any A or Q on the flop if it is a top card; I'll call a small raise with a flush draw, and fold everything else.

What I'm trying to say is...if you aren't prepared to go all the way with your hand, there is no point in playing it preflop. If you aren't prepared to go all-in with JQo when you flop top pair, what's the point of playing it? Are you playing it for straight value?

This is a very important concept that a lot of people playing SNGs miss...tying your preflop thinking in with your postflop play and having a game plan for any flop.

kasey2004
07-07-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an example of not connecting your preflop play with your flop play. When I call preflop, every time I ask myself what I am prepared to do in certain situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Olback
07-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I admit i was tempted to fold preflop and in hindsight should have done.

AS mentioned in my post i would have gone with this had he not pushed.

I take it my assumption that he pushing with a weak hand or a draw was correct?

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 02:33 AM
I know that at the low levels this is an incredibly common play to make with a flush draw (thank you ESPN). It is also a common play with top pair to shut down flush draws (I overbet pots with TPTK on scary flops like this all the time). I have no idea if you are ahead here or not...there's only one way to find out and it's not folding.

Again, what do you mean you would have "gone with this hand" if he had not pushed...so if he had bet 200 and you called and a brick came on the turn, would you call an all-in then? Would you have called a check-raise on the turn when you were pot-commited? I don't get it. Whether he puts all his chips in on the flop or the turn or the river, what does it matter? You have top pair good kicker...if you cannot commit all your chips to this (which is pretty much the most common good outcome of playing JQo) then you shouldn't be playing marginal hands.

Sorry if this is harsh but you need to seriously re-evaluate your pre-flop and flop play and integrate them.

Olback
07-07-2005, 04:09 AM
By run with it, i meant that if he bet out on the flop small or checked, i would have raised/bet all in on the flop. His huge overbet threw me off and made me think he had a monster hand or a draw.