PDA

View Full Version : I have a ridiculous amount of 5th place finishes

Bigwig
07-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Especially in the last two weeks.

What, if anything, does this mean?

zipppy
07-06-2005, 11:32 PM
For one thing, it means we haven't been playing at the same tables, since I have a huge amount as well.

kasey2004
07-06-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For one thing, it means we haven't been playing at the same tables, since I have a huge amount as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

must be a virus going around 2+2 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

USCSigma1097
07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
You must be raising ak of diamonds in level two to exactly 129 chips. This is the only thing that could explain this rash of "fif" s that you are suffering from. Plug that leak and the money should start rolling in.

Sigma

Big Limpin'
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Most likely: Just the stars aligning that way

Less likely, but more discussable/thought provoking: Your "crazy-go-nutz" swich is being flipped ON when the table gets to 5 players, with less regard for blind levels.
5-handed @ 50/100 is obviously to be played much differently from 5-handed 200/400. Not all bubbles are created equal...

I'm not suggesting this is necessarily the case, but its worth posing the question. Do you think this may be *part* of the reason?

BL'

Bigwig
07-07-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most likely: Just the stars aligning that way

Less likely, but more discussable/thought provoking: Your "crazy-go-nutz" swich is being flipped ON when the table gets to 5 players, with less regard for blind levels.
5-handed @ 50/100 is obviously to be played much differently from 5-handed 200/400. Not all bubbles are created equal...

I'm not suggesting this is necessarily the case, but its worth posing the question. Do you think this may be *part* of the reason?

BL'

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. It might be.

I'm in a constant mental struggle lately.

One half of my brain says I'm not aggressive enough late, or ITM. The other half tells me 'that was a crazy push idiot.'

I'm either just having a bad luck streak, or was a lot more clueless than I thought.

gildwulf
07-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Who cares as long as you're winning?

curtains
07-07-2005, 01:03 AM
My most common finish is 5th place, if that makes you feel better.

ripped
07-07-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigwig
07-07-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it does.

Perhaps this is some sort of by product of good play.

Maybe someone who understands poker could explain. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bigwig
07-07-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, over the past 10 days, I haven't.

I'm not down much. Maybe 8 buy-ins. But Bigwig hates any downswing lasting more than one day.

zipppy
07-07-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, over the past 10 days, I haven't.

I'm not down much. Maybe 8 buy-ins. But Bigwig hates any downswing lasting more than one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. I'm currently working on my best ever OOTM streak.

I think my problem may be that I haven't been paying enough attention to blind levels as BL pointed out. Just being patient will probably help my game.

microbet
07-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Perhaps the SNG guide should just say "try to bust out fifth."

Gramps
07-07-2005, 02:15 AM
It's pretty simple - that's about when the 75/150 blind level was added. You're getting knocked out having to push crap/make a stand on a marginal hand less often, as the lesser jump from 50/100 to 75/150 (vs. to 100/200) means you have a little more time before you have to make a move/make a stand.

SD13
07-07-2005, 02:57 AM
I only have a sample size of about 150 and only over a week and a half but 1st and 5th are my most popular finishes at about 17% each.

ROI= 25%
ITM= 37%

flyingmoose
07-07-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the SNG guide should just say "try to bust out fifth."

[/ QUOTE ]

With a footnote that says "SO YOU CAN PROFIT BATCH!!!!!!!"

zambonidrivr
07-07-2005, 07:56 AM
probably reading too many posts here around pushing Q2o

Double Down
07-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Here is my hypothesis: when down to 5 players, a lot of players are playing conservatively because they want to get itm, which is where a good, aggressive player can take advantage and steal a lot of blinds since most people will only call with very good holdings. However, when the aggressive player pushes too much, people will start calling with their KQs and their ace rags. Which means that those who are pushing first are going to have a lot more showdowns. So what will happen? Well, sometimes the good aggressive player will bust out (5th) and sometimes the player will win, not only putting themselves in a good position to make the money but also to finish 2nd or 1st. So it would make sense that a lot of players who come in 1st a lot also come in 5th. So as someone said in an earlier post, it's the byproduct of being a good, aggressive, winning player.

Phill S
07-07-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been going over my stats recently and wondered if i had a bit of a leak with a lot of my bustouts being in the 5th/6th range.

But at the same time my results 1st-4th are 1st>2nd>3rd>4th so i guess my bust outs slightly earlier are allowing me to dominate the late game.

If you can at least hypothesise why having so many 5th isnt all bad, then you can let nature take its course and worry about improving that area later. Once i get a few more hundred games in i will re-examine it in my own game, with this being the area sited to get me from high teens ROI type player to low 20s ROI type player.

Of course the new blind level, a bad streak and so on are often great theories too /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you have the hand hists, go over them, just dont spend too long doing so. A trick you might try if your doubting yourself is to imagine yourself sat on your shoulder whilst you play. Every time your going to make a strong move like pushing, which is also marginal, ask yourself how you would react if you saw someone else making that move.

And good luck for the next few games.

Phill

maddog2030
07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
It's a good thing.

There was a post about this a while ago, but it was about 6th place finishes. At the time I had more 6ths than 1sts
and was curious about the trend. Well, I ending up determining it was a good trend that a lot of profitable players are showing (not necessarily more than 1sts, but a good percentage).

Interestingly enough, since then the blind change occurred, I'm now seeing a lot of 5th place finishes as compared to 6ths.

tminus
07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"crazy-go-nutz" swich is being flipped ON when the table gets to 5 players, with less regard for blind levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, im in the exact same spot and i think it has to do with the same thing, im not trying to hijack but
> here is a related thread < (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2809918&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

AA suited
07-07-2005, 02:51 PM
My past 400 Sngs have 3rd as my biggest amount of finishes (15%). Next came 6th /images/graemlins/crazy.gif, then 1st, then 2nd

johnny005
07-07-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
The fact that you know how to spell the word ridiculous is really the most telling component of your post. That places you in the top 2% of players/posters right there... so I wouldn't worry about the 5ths.

Irieguy

PS- I have data sets of >500 where 5th is my most common finish.

johnny005
07-07-2005, 05:30 PM
My highest placing is in 5th as well. me second best is 1st.
The reason most of us are seeing this trend is because we arent sitting around trying to slide into the money. By putting your self into position to win 1st your also putting your self in position to bust out in 5th/6th place.. I wouldnt worry about a high % of 5th/6th I would be happy about it. Just for curiositys sake what is your second best finish.

Bigwig
07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My highest placing is in 5th as well. me second best is 1st.
The reason most of us are seeing this trend is because we arent sitting around trying to slide into the money. By putting your self into position to win 1st your also putting your self in position to bust out in 5th/6th place.. I wouldnt worry about a high % of 5th/6th I would be happy about it. Just for curiositys sake what is your second best finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

1, 2, & 3 are all pretty close and tied for second.

1sts are ahead right now, but my finish distribution tends to be pretty flat, and that could change at any moment.

I have a very LOW amount of 4ths.