PDA

View Full Version : fold AK to a big preflop raise

homeboy
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm playing $100 buy-in NL on Party. Blinds are 0.5/1.
I got AKoff in middle position.

UTG+2 raises to $6 straight.. now this is a really big bet! $6 is 6 times the BB.. I never raise more than 4 times the BB.. and even then it's only when I have really premium hands.
How am I supposed to treat these absurd raises generally? Does his bet really represent a monster holding such as AA, KK, QQ, JJ? Should I fold my AK then?

I dunno this may seem like a boring subject to some of you but it really puzzles me.. I mean this kind of play repeatedly collects nothing but the blinds, and therefore makes no sense to me. Don't these players want to make some money on their monster holdings?

KowCiller
07-06-2005, 11:37 PM
$6 raise on PP100 isn't that big of a raise... especially if there's a poster or someone loose in the blinds that will liberally defend. I would hardly call the raise 'absurd'.

If you both have $100 I'd call with AKo in position.

KoW

cfb1739
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Call, see a flop and go from there. You have position on him. At NL100 this could be anything from 99-AA and AJs-AQs. Unless this is an ultra-tight player, this is an insta-call.

07-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Ive gotta agree with kow and cfb. Youve got position so calling the bet is an easy move.

07-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I agree. Solid call with position. There are too many possible hands he could raise with here. Depending on how his play has been, you don't automatically give him credit for a monster from his position. 6xBB raise could mean he doesn't want callers.

TrailofTears
07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TG+2 raises to $6 straight.. now this is a really big bet! $6 is 6 times the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

6xBB is not that big of a raise. And sometimes people raise bigger from EP to make people pay a bit more for position.

[ QUOTE ]
I never raise more than 4 times the BB.. and even then it's only when I have really premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should adjust your PF raises for number of limpers and sometimes position. You should not adjust your PF raises for hand quality.

[ QUOTE ]
How am I supposed to treat these absurd raises generally? Does his bet really represent a monster holding such as AA, KK, QQ, JJ? Should I fold my AK then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Treat them different depending on your position, your read on villain, your stack sizes, your image, villain's skill, etc.

JJ is far from a monster. If it is a monster, it is like that movie Little Monsters with Fred Savage.

Fold your AK? Sometimes you should fold it, sometimes you should reraise it, sometimes you should just call. Reads would help, as well as stack sizes, and some of the other things I mention above.

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno this may seem like a boring subject to some of you but it really puzzles me

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't a boring subject, but it is a very fundamental subject - a very basic subject that should/must be understood before you can become a good player.

-T

kealmo
07-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Played against a guy yesterday...he was on the button, one limper (50 cent blind) pre-flop. Villain goes all-in...almost $100!!. Now, HE didn't want a call...and he didn't get one. Congrats...you just won $1.25. Ya just never know.