PDA

View Full Version : Attention to all of those thinking about moving up (somewhat long)

UOPokerPlayer
07-06-2005, 11:13 PM
After beating PPNL25 for ~14PTBB/100 over 10,000 hands. I'm barely in the black at NL50.

This is a problem. I don't want to go back to 25, I want to get better. I see the big difference between the levels is better starting cards and less loose calls. I felt 25NL was more cut and dried, while 50 involves more reads. Because of this I'm playing less tables, taking notes on most players, and using PT's game time window. So I'm out of ideas, and it's frusturating. I'm looking for any sort of advice here.

Here are my stats at NL50 - (I play 6-max and usually two table, sometimes 3 table)

Hands - 4927
PTBB/100 - 2.59
VPIP - 23.88
PFR - 11.86
Att. To Steal Blinds - 28.46
Went To Showdown - 23.27
Won $ at Showdown - 49.7

Aggression Factor
PF - .88
Flop - 6.08
Turn - 3.38
River - 3.68
Total - 1.67

Folded to River Bet - 74.4

I don't really know if there's any other significant stats to report, those are just the major ones. I'll post my biggest winning and losing hands later.

All responses greatly appreciated.

DMACM
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
I wouldnt get discouraged yet thats a small sample at 50NL. It's a small one at 25NL too but 15bb/100 is excellant. I would download Gametime plus its wayyyyyyy better than PT's gametime. It runs during play and gets the players names for you and overlays them on the window.

UOPokerPlayer
07-06-2005, 11:21 PM
thanks man, do you know where i can download gametime plus?

DoomSlice
07-06-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3812

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
The biggest difference in terms of results (not necessarily improving your play, which may be more important to you than results) between NL25 and NL50 is the importance of table selection. Data mine at least 4 (8 or 12 would be better) tables for a few orbits before sitting down. Then use GT+ to overlay the stats at a table and only sit if there is a person with over 60% VPIP or at least two people with over 40% VPIP. I guarantee tremendously improved results.

Malachii
07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
And if you need help setting up Gametime, I found this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=software&Number=254345 4&PHPSESSID=&fpart=) thread to be helpful.

UOPokerPlayer
07-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok, I just downloaded gametime. I understand what you say about game selection being key, and i'll be doing that from now on. You're right when you say that learning the game and improving is more important than the money factor, but i think they go hand in hand. If you're playing well, you're winning money in the long run, (maybe this isn't a very long run, as one poster pointed out.) What skills do you think are important in 50 that maybe weren't so important in 25? To put it more basically what becomes more important when you move up?

I'm considering what you're saying about essentially finding nl25 caliber games at nl50, but i plan to continually move up.

TheWorstPlayer
07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
You'll win money playing well at tough NL50 tables, but you'll win more money playing well at good NL50 tables. And honestly there are very few skill differences between NL25 and NL100. People tighten up SLIGHTLY preflop and the aggression increases SLIGHTLY but people still are incredibly loose preflop and people still pay off like ATMs. Just play your normal tight ABC poker and you'll be fine at least up to NL100 and I am pretty sure up to around NL400, too, although I haven't played there yet.

kurto
07-07-2005, 01:21 AM
I think it might be variance and its possible you might be playing differently because its twice as much money.

I didn't do as well when I first switched. But I had a long string of bad beats.

I realized that I lost a lot to really bad players.

I actually very quickly became confident that it was really was no different that in a matter of 2 months or so I dabbled with the $100 tables. I play either one now and there are horrific players at all of them.

You just have to realize that some tables are supertight... know when you're at a table with nutpeddlars.

Don't quit. Tighten up and play decent poker. Use your notes. Loosen up when you start playing better.

edge
07-07-2005, 03:49 AM
I just came off a 22k breakeven streak (at least, I really hope it's finished). While I was going through it, I noticed that the other players were making big mistakes frequently, but I just couldn't capitalize. If you don't see mistakes from other players, you may be playing at a level too high for you. Otherwise, it could very easily be the bad side of variance.