PDA

View Full Version : Odds

Producer
02-10-2003, 04:23 PM
(Also posted uner the "probabilty" section)

I was watching a little of the world series of Poker on Espn on Sunday and Phil Mellmuth? after seeign each players two cards was instantly telling how much either player was favored (ie scott's a 3 1/2 time facvorite at this point...). Just curious if most players know those odds off the top of their head or was he likely to be getting the info from a prepared chart.

Thanks.

sucka
02-10-2003, 04:42 PM
First of all, as a player in the hand you would have no idea whether or not you are an underdog or the favorite in the hand. The only thing you would be able to calculate is your chances of catching up or winning if your opponent held something that had you beat.

IMO, when the players take so long to make those calls that's alot of what's on their minds - in addition to replaying some hands in their heads to try to analyze their oponents play, etc...

Let's say you have QJ and the flop comes A T J and your opponent goes all in on you. Does he have an Ace? If he does how far behind are you - or - how far ahead is he.

That's all they are calculating in these spots. Most people don't do odds in 'favor' because they don't neccesarily know they are a favorite in the hand.

Zag
02-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi Producer.

It was Phil Hellmuth www.philhellmuth.com (http://www.philhellmuth.com) who you saw. Some people (including him!) believe him to be the best no limit hold'em player alive today.

I believe that you were asking about the cases where one player is all-in preflop, so they both turn up their hands before any of the board is out. The answer (assuming this is the right question) is Phil does, in fact, know all these odds off the top of his head.

If you think about it, there are only a pretty small number of cases:

1. XX vs yy (where X > y)
2. XX vs yz (where X > both y and z)
3. XY vs zz (where X and Y are both > z
4. WX vs yz (where W and X are both > both y and z)
5. WX vs yz (where W > y > X > z)
6. Xy vs Xz (where y > z)
etc.

There are also differences when one hand is suited, and where the cards in one hand are close enough to reach to a straight. But even with all the subtilties, I'll bet that there are only 3 dozen combinations. I'll also bet that Phil Hellmuth knows the odds for all of them.

Ray Zee
02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
the best players almost all know all the basic odds of winning versas different hands approximately. if they didnt they wouldnt be able to compete at that level.
you cant make good decisions if you dont know the facts.