PDA

View Full Version : When should I just call a river and hope for overcalls

Kyle
07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Lately I have been looking for spots to just call on the river and hope for overcalls from loose players. This however may have not been a good spot, but I am posting this in hope of generating some discussion on when is the correct time to just call. My standard play is just to raise the river, which I did and go from there. Thoughts on going for an overcall here? As for reads both players are too loose and poor players post flop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.20 BB

drdre2001mm
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
In this situation if you call on the river you might or you might not get an overcall and end up winning an additional BB (2 total not counting yours) By raising in this situation you almost always guarantee yourself 2BB(not counting yours) because the original bettor will almost always call. If your lucky you could get a nice cold call and gain 2 more Bb for a total of 4(once again not counting yours).

I think that going for overcalls implies that your going to have more than one person calling because if only one is going to call your almost always getting the same amount as if you raise.

Kyle
07-06-2005, 10:28 PM
This is what I thought at the time so I decided to go ahead and raise. What if there were two people behind me to act, or three? I need to collect at least two calls to make raising incorrect. Right?

drdre2001mm
07-06-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what I thought at the time so I decided to go ahead and raise. What if there were two people behind me to act, or three? I need to collect at least two calls to make raising incorrect. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, unless you know that the other 2/3 will call a raise.