PDA

View Full Version : Pot Odds vs. Pot Equity

magates
07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
If you have 8 outs on the Turn (4.8 to 1) in a pot that contains 5BBs, and it is one bet to you (5 to 1), do you call or fold (you are last to act)?

Pot odds would say to call, but your equity in this pot is 17.4% of 5BBs (0.9 BBs), so you would be spending one bet to protect 0.9 bets by doing so.

I realize this difference is small, but it's confusing me nonetheless. What do you do when pot odds tell you to call, and pot equity tells you to fold? Do your implied odds make up the difference?

Paxosmotic
07-06-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have 8 outs on the Turn (4.8 to 1) in a pot that contains 5BBs, and it is one bet to you (5 to 1), do you call or fold (you are last to act)?

Pot odds would say to call, but your equity in this pot is 17.4% of 5BBs (0.9 BBs), so you would be spending one bet to protect 0.9 bets by doing so.

I realize this difference is small, but it's confusing me nonetheless. What do you do when pot odds tell you to call, and pot equity tells you to fold? Do your implied odds make up the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]
You got it down to the letter in the last question, that's exactly what covers the gap. The implied odds of this turn a 5:1 pot into about a 6.5:1 pot from the extra bet(s) you'll collect if you hit your hand.

magates
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif