PDA

View Full Version : Bad flop, worse turn...

deception5
07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (14 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

This one had me confused. On the flop I figured it was likely that people were betting draws but I figured 2 pair was also a possibility. When one hit on the turn I think I should have checked behind. Then I wasn't sure if I should overcall the river. Any ideas?

Thanks!
D5

beset7
07-06-2005, 08:38 PM
You've got to 3-bet the flop to try and face SB with calling 3 bets cold on a crappy board like this. Without showing some flop aggression your turn bet is somewhat donkish. I don't think I can fold this river though I probably should. There isn't much we beat here.

Online247
07-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Thats a horrible flop for you. Did you consider checking the turn at all? The way you played it, I guess calling the river is good.

SlantNGo
07-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Wow... I'm scratching my head about this. Reads would help very much in this hand. I would 3-bet the flop here. If checked to me on the turn, I bet/fold.

swatkaizen
07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Hmm ... I think the overcall on the river is bad. It's hard to throw away A's, but any 10 or 5 beats you, and if SB doesn't have it when he woke up on the river and came out betting, then BB definitely does.

Duerig
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
I think I would 3 bet this flop. When that turn card falls, I want to get to showdown as cheap as possible. I'll probably be willing to put in 1 BB on the turn and another on the river. If anyone raises, I dump.

Dave G.
07-07-2005, 12:06 AM
I would fold the river. I don't think you are good 1 time in 15 here. SB was trying to check-raise BB on the turn, but when BB checked and you bet, his check-raise would have faced the field with two cold. He went for overcalls on the turn and bet the river, a typical stop and go. There's only one hand he could have here, and you're not beating it.

I would 3-bet the flop. Yes there are draws out against you, so you're going to have to try and face them with as horrible odds as you can to try and get them to fold. They probably won't, but that's okay too; you're gaining value while they draw. And you do have the backdoor nut flush draw that will bail you out sometimes too.

@bsolute_luck
07-07-2005, 05:45 AM
if SB had the straight on the turn, that is a beautiful play. results? after BB calls, i'd probably fold.

xenthebrain
07-07-2005, 06:07 AM
I check/fold the turn.

I don't think the best hand out there is a pair of 9s. At least two pair, in which case you might have up to 8 outs (at most 6 for the board pairing and it doesn't give someone a fullhouse/trips and you aces up and 2 for your aces).

But you are good with this less often because of the 4-straight, so I tend to check-fold.

I 3-bet the flop though to protect my hand even more.

deception5
07-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Good points all. I think 3-betting the flop would be good here. I'm not going to be able to protect my hand so I need to bite the bullet and raise for value against the likely draws. On the turn I think it was silly for me to bet and that I should have checked behind and reevaluated on the river.

Thanks for the responses!

DeathDonkey
07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
SB played his Ten really well. Fold or 3 bet the flop. If you didn't have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif I think its an easy fold.

-DeathDonkey