PDA

View Full Version : beginner trying to learn "pot odds" and implied odds

bmbarrett5
07-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I may get laughed out of this forum, but I am a beginner (3months) of poker, and hear all of the time about pot odds and implied odds, ect. Please help me to unerstand how to figure these out, as well as how to apply to winning hands and when to fold. Thank you.

CallYNotRaise06
07-06-2005, 08:45 PM
pot odds are simply the ammount of money in the pot vs the ammount you have to put in.

lets say there is $120 in the pot. after 5th street in a 7 stud hand someone bets $20. so there is now $140 in the pot ($120+ your opponents 20$ bet)you have to call 20 to win 140, so your pot odds are 7-1. meaning you only have to win 1 time in 8 to make the call correct.

Implied odds are a little different. they also apply more to no limit or pot limit games than fixed limit.

lets say your playing NL holdem. blinds 2 and 4. you have 77 in late position. there is a raise to 10 dollars. now the odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1. so in order to make thecall, you need to have 75 dollars in the pot for you to be able to call the bet correctly and make it a +ev(positive expectation) play. but there is only 16 dollars in the pot(10 dollar bet+$4 from bb+$2 from sb) so your only getting 1.6-1 for your pot odds. This is where implied odds come into play. Implied odds are all of the future bets you expect later in the hand. someone correct me if im wrong here, but he would need to get 59 more dollars in the pot to satisfy his preflop call.($59+$16already in pot=75, 75-10 = 7.5-1). so on the flop you hit your set. A 7 3. now you need to take the correct strategy to get as much money in the pot as possible.

hopefully this didnt confuse you too bad. im sure someone else can give you a better explanation.

kasey2004
07-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the game.
The first reply was pretty basic.
I would recommend reading a few books in whatever catagory u are planning on playing to get a better idea. Theory of poker is a good start for alot of different games to learn pot odds and impied odds and whatever else u need to get a good jump start in the game.

basically learn the odds of completing a draw and if the pot odds are in your favor then go with it. Pot odds in general are pretty simple just what u need to put in the pot compared to what is in the pot. Implied odds are more of what u will make based on what will happen if u make your draw.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SossMan
07-07-2005, 03:11 AM
not that you shouldn't post here, but there is a beginners forum, too. You should probably start by reading a bunch there. Welcome!