PDA

View Full Version : is anyone smarter than me here?

Jeebus
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Does anyone play this differently than me? Other than raising the flop what kind of play would you make?
Pokerroom $25 NL 9 handed
Hero is CO with $26.20
Villan is SB with $20.65
Villan is a calling station, I have seen him win one hand with A2 limped in FP and flopped a straight. I have had him call me a couple times then fold and taken about 13 from him.

Hero is dealt red JJ
3 folds, MP calls, MP2 calls, 1 fold, hero raises to $2, Button folds, villan calls, BB folds, MP folds, MP2 calls
flop-pot $7.50
3S 4H JS
villan bets $1, NP2 folds
I stop and think about raising. Figuring he is on a flush draw it would take a large raise to kill his pot odds now since there is already 9.50 (including my call) so I decide to call and wait until the turn to raise (assuming a spade doesnt come)
turn - $9.50 in pot
7H
villan bets $2
I raise to $6
villan reraises to $11
Hero reraises all in, villan calls
River Qh

results in white below:
<font color="white"> hero shows [ JH,JD ]
villan shows [ 6C,5S ]
hero wins $5.55, villan wins $39.95. </font>

theblitz
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
You MUST raise this flop.
There are far too many outs for you to allow him what is essentially a free-card.

You have to make it at least $6 and maybe up to the size of the pot. The whole point of betting is to make his odds wrong so that it is a mistake for him to call. If he calls, all the money is going in anyway so why not get it in while you are ahead.
Waiting for the turn is a recepie for disaster. If he misses he is going to fold; if he hits you aer in deep trouble.

Would the result have been differant? No way to know. However, in the long run the correct +EV is a raise.

I would NEVER slow-play a flopped set on a 2-flush board.

JaBlue
07-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Raise the flop.

CallYNotRaise06
07-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I dont think calling is horrible here, but i think a raise is the better play. There are alot of cards that mite beat you:

Any spade, and lots of possible strait cards... a common thing for weak players to do is fire a very weak bet when theyre drawing. you had a decent read there puting him on the flush draw...well if you think hes drawing. raise that up. hes a calling station remember, hes most likely going to pay you off even if he is on a draw. so you mite as well make it as -ev for him as possible.

another reason id raise is for table image. i like an image of a very agressive player. not a slowplayer/traper.(i do trap/slowplay but only when a very profitable situation comes up)... when your really hammering on a player and just destroying him, theyll make a mistake and youll break them.

overall i dont think you played it to bad. but be more agressive, even w/ a huge hand like that. youll be suprised how many ppl will pay you off w/ something like 77 because they thought you were bluffing.

iceman5
07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
I would raise that $1 bet no matter what I had. You cant let people make a min bet into you after they call your raise. You have to put pressure on them. I raise the pot even with AK or some other unimproved hand.

theblitz
07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think calling is horrible here

[/ QUOTE ]
How can calling possibly be correct here?
With the $1 the villain is obviously on some sort of draw. Could be a straight or flush draw or even both of them.

OP admits that he is giving the villain correct odds to continue. It's mroe than that. Since he has already put in his $1 by calling you are effectively giving him a free card.

Suppose a spade HAD hit on the turn. This would have slowed you down. However, this would also have slowed down the villain. 3-flushes are not easy to hide.

You HAVE to get your money in while you are ahead and you HAVE to make him pay to draw unless you are sure that you cannot be outdrawn.

Lets' look at it the other way: If you were leading out would you have checked? I hope not!
So, how much would you have bet? I would say at least 2/3 of the pot. If so, you should do the same when he leads out.

Smooth-calling on that flop was a Sklansky-bucks loser and, in the end, a real bucks loser too.

Slow-playing flopped sets on a draw-heavy board is a sure-fire way to lose your stack.

Here is a rare example of where it is OK to slow-play a flopped set: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2723077&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=

One small note: We all make these mistakes and we learn the hard way.

Scotty O
07-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Raise the flop, fold the turn after his reraise

wtfsvi
07-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Raising the flop is the superior play here, no doubt.

If you're certain that villain is on a flush draw and is an idiot that will call all-in with it on the turn, calling the flop is good. Especially if he will give you odds to fill up on a flush-turn and pay you off on the river. You can't be sure enough of these things though, without a crazy read.

Snag
07-06-2005, 09:51 PM
1.) Preflop - Good raise. Between $1.5 and $2 is ample at these limits.
2.) Flop - You've just flopped a set against a moron on a coordinate board. He could have any two. He leads out for $1. Raise him at the very least 2/3 of the pot. I recommend betting the pot, and making him pay to hit any of the draws that he has.
3.) His turn minreraise screams "PUSH AGAINST ME - I HAVE THE NUTS." Do I fold it? Hell no, I still have 10 outs. But, pushing here is a bad idea.
4.) The river is junk - fold city.

BZ_Zorro
07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Figuring he is on a flush draw it would take a large raise to kill his pot odds now since there is already 9.50 (including my call)

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make sense. You have the best possible hand at this point and three streets to extract the money. If he's going to call a raise on a flush draw, then raise!!

DrPublo
07-07-2005, 03:48 AM
I think I'm smarter than you. But I think that about most people so don't take it personally.

Oh yeah, raise the flop.

The Doc

fuzzbox
07-07-2005, 04:38 AM
You dont want him to fold his draw on the flop, you just want him to pay for it. Raising the flop is not to shut him out, but to give him bad odds to continue. If he continues and still makes his draw, you still have outdraw possibilities.

I like to raise the flop - for value. I still get all-in on that turn card (or on the flop), and lose - but him leading for 1 - is either a draw or a lesser good hand. Raise and hope he goes to the felt.