PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 NL, AA vs. KK/QQ -- how to get smart player to come along?

Proofrock
07-06-2005, 07:54 PM
1/2 (200 max buy-in) at TStone.
Hero( ~400) is UTG, solid table image.
MP1( ~200) is a tightish and on the passive side, predictable after the flop (only bets/raises 2 pair or better).
MP2( ~500) is a smart, experienced, thinking player.

Action: Hero raises $12 (standard) with AA. MP1 calls, MP2 raises to $42, folds around to hero. Hero stares at MP2 for a few moments, then raises $100 more, MP1 folds, MP2 folds after thinking for a bit.

My thoughts at the time: I have aces, woohoo! I'm getting raised, woohoo! He probably has KK or QQ and will call anything that isn't outrageous -- $100 more should be the right amount to isolate MP2.

My thoughts later: I have a solid table image, and as such a thinking player must figure I will only 3bet with AA or KK. If MP2 has KK or QQ, and he figures me for AA or KK, he folds (stacks aren't deep enough for set value).

I wanted to isolate MP2 (I assume MP1 would stay in for $30 more, but this may well be false -- it is a large reraise relative to his stack, no?), but now that I think of it, I'm not sure why -- since MP1 is predictable and easy to read, it can't hurt to have him along, can it?

So anyway, here are my questions:
(1) Should I try to isolate MP2?
(2) If I want to isolate MP2, how should I proceed?
(3) If I flat call and the flop looks safe, how should I proceed if MP1 called preflop? if it's heads up?

I recognize this is a player dependent question, but I have no other read than MP2 is solid, experienced, thinking player who can get away from big hands.

BZ_Zorro
07-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Push.

It's much harder for a thinking player to get away from a push when they're holding KK than a 3-bet.

3-bet means: 'I really don't want to scare you away because I have AA'
Push means: 'I really want you to call because I have AA' or 'I think you're weak and I can push you off your hand' or 'I have QQ/JJ and I think you have AK'

Obviously this depends on your opponent but against a solid opponent I push.

Snag
07-07-2005, 01:45 AM
I agree with Zorro here. Push.

If you didn't have that middle caller, I would smooth call, and extract massive amounts of chips.

fuzzbox
07-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Reraising is fine - as you dont want a 3-way flop when OOP with the reraiser last to act (putting you in the middle).

However, if you feel that MP1 is likely to fold anyway, then flat calling will make the pot about 100 preflop. You can then check-raise all in on a non KQx flop without overbetting the pot by much you might just get him involved for his stack on a 942 flop or something.

With 3 players - you might have to lead at the flop, to see if MP1 flopped a set, before you commit all your chips.