PDA

View Full Version : Standing up to tilters and table coaches

pufferfish
02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Every once in a while I'll see someone berating others at the table. Sometimes because that players play was "fishy" and sometimes just because they lost the hand.

I've seen this sour the table and sometimes just wreak it when players leave that you would rather have in.

When I was at the "play" tables I usually said something and often the "berator" would leave the table. I don't think I've ever done that at the "money" tables.

Most people seem to think you should ignore it when you are criticized, but what about the times when others are being criticized? I just hate it when the biggest contributor at the table leaves because of some loud mouth.

Homer
02-10-2003, 02:28 PM
I almost always say something when someone at the table is acting improperly towards another player. I don't think this has anything to do with poker. It has to do with someone being an [censored] and thinking it is alright. I don't know that speaking up does any good, but I have a difficult time sitting back and allowing an [censored] to be an [censored]. The only time I don't say something is when I know that the person being berated would prefer that I keep my mouth shut (perhaps the person being an [censored] is a major contributor and the person being berated would prefer to keep quiet and continue to take his money). Even then I have a difficult time restraining myself.

-- Homer

mobes
02-10-2003, 02:38 PM
If the person being berated is donating to me or is just a nice person who looks uncomfortable, I will usually make some kind of joke comment to let both parties know whose side I am on. I am usually at the table with one of my buddies and we are pretty goofy, so we are usually pals with everyone who is sociable. As far as when I am berated, I kind of enjoy it. Especially when it was a good play you made and the idiot just doesn't realize it. I usually say something like "I'll take lucky over good any day"