PDA

View Full Version : Signatures after posts

DMACM
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
I cannot get mine to show up? Is there at rick to this? I have add signature to this post checked.

Mike Haven
07-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Mat removed their use many moons ago.

Bremen
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Do you think its possible he may allow their use again since we have mods now to more effectively patrol their use?

Pokeraddict
07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
The main issue was that people were using signatures to promote their websites so it became spammy. There are way too many people in this forum to patrol the signatures so IMO signatures, which have been gone for almost as long as I can remember, will never be back. Maybe those closer to 2+2 feel different but it is probably best. I am sure this decision helped increase advertising revenue which pays for things like the massive server space and bandwidth this forum needs.

boscoboy
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
wouldn't a simple solution be to only allow signatures for someone with X amount of posts? i doubt anyone that has put in the time and effort to make 1000 posts would jeopardize their login by violating any site rules

handsome
07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't a simple solution be to only allow signatures for someone with X amount of posts? i doubt anyone that has put in the time and effort to make 1000 posts would jeopardize their login by violating any site rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, what's the deal? Let's spice up this forum and have signatures.

GrannyMae
07-07-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't a simple solution be to only allow signatures for someone with X amount of posts? i doubt anyone that has put in the time and effort to make 1000 posts would jeopardize their login

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaz
(the original, of course)

>1,000 posts

pyroponic
07-07-2005, 02:49 AM
You could manually paste a signature in at the end fo each post.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Because, most other forums look really dumb seeing the same huge image or lame quote after someone makes a post.

GrannyMae
07-07-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You could manually paste a signature in at the end fo each post.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, duh!

but if a person pastes spam in as a sig, it will be deleted. point is that there are more that will abuse it, and the few that want it simply paste it or type it in.

this place is what it is, in part, because the sig function was disabled. best move ever made here imo.

Adde
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Sigs are annoying. And:

[ QUOTE ]
Because, most other forums look really dumb seeing the same huge image or lame quote after someone makes a post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adde

El Barto
07-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Signatures may come back some day. Here is what Mat said about a month ago. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2614099)

Timer
07-07-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't a simple solution be to only allow signatures for someone with X amount of posts? I doubt anyone that has put in the time and effort to make 1000 posts would jeopardize their login by violating any site rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this topic [of having a high post count] comes up so often, I want to say something about it.

Having a high post count means nothing. This has been proven dozens of times. I know of many professional players who have only posted here a few times, got flammed, and simply went away.

Posters with high post counts have ripped off other posters, use excessive profanity, troll endlessly, and pump up their posts counts with a plethora of "me too" responses.

I am constantly amazed at the utter nonsense sputtered by posters with high post counts.

It's also been said that if you want to obtain a high post count for yourself, just hang out in the OOT or politics forum for a few weeks and you should be able to accomplish that.

As for signatures--I don't see the point. It clutters up the posts, allows, although subtly, for advertising, and doesn't really add to the content/usefulness of the forum, but could end up adding to the noise level.

Personally, I get very annoyed by the standard 4-line sig-files you see on Usenet. They can [and tend] to be obnoxious and unprofessional.

What's wrong with the way things are?

Jim Kuhn
07-07-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Posters with high post counts have ripped off other posters, use excessive profanity, troll endlessly, and pump up their posts counts with a plethora of "me too" responses.

I am constantly amazed at the utter nonsense sputtered by posters with high post counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

SamIAm
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigs are annoying. And:[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I entirely agree. 2+2 looks so much better BECAUSE we have no .sigs.
-Sam