PDA

View Full Version : Should I tighten up?

Guthrie
07-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Just got started playing online, .25/.50 and .50/1 at Paradise (thanks for the free money Granny!). Since these games are definitely loose, I've been religiously following the SSHE loose starting hands guidelines. I'm ahead enough to not be worried, but I appear to be too loose and definitely need a lot of improvement in my post-flop play.

I'm thinking I should tighten up by switching to the tight starting hands guidelines. However, I'm ahead on most of the hands I would have folded had I been using the tight charts.

I realize that playing marginal starting hands requires good post-flop play, so should I tighten up my starting hands or stick with what's working and hope I stay ahead until I improve my game?

I know the sample size is far too small (2600 hands), but I'm 25.07 VPIP, 7.31 PFR, 39.71 VPIP/SB, 39.69 WSD, and 2.83 BB/100.

detruncate
07-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Study the hand strength analysis section in SSH and do your best to adjust your pf play to the specific circumstances you encounter each hand. Examine the differences between your default plays and how other thinking players are approaching things -- whether or not you think their play is better, the underlying reasoning will help you learn.

Stats re. how well you're doing with any hand are utterly meaningless for the forseeable future. Really. I'm not exaggerating. Ignore them.

Don't plan to see the flop unless you understand exactly why it would be a good idea to do so. Pay special attention to position. Also think about how you're playing vs raises and out of the blinds.

Go through things systematically. Satisfy yourself that you've got a solid foundation. Your pf play to constantly evolve as your understanding of the game improves, but becoming comfortable with the basics is an important step.

nomadtla
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
I think if you know your postflop is weak it's better to avoid having to make those decisions more offten. You'll still win plenty with the tight set while you work on your postflop play.

Guthrie
07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
I think this the smart play. The marginal starting hands also seem the toughest to play post-flop, unless the flop hits me in the face, which it rarely does.

@bsolute_luck
07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I should tighten up by switching to the tight starting hands guidelines. However, I'm ahead on most of the hands I would have folded had I been using the tight charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

think about this statement for awhile. from reading this, do you really think it is your preflop play that is the problem?