PDA

View Full Version : When should I move up? ($5+1 -> $10+1)

samr
07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi,
I've been playing on Stars since January ($5+.50, occasional $10+1) and had great success in about 700 SNGs, usually 1- or 2- tabling them for two hours a day, but 4- or 5- tabling them since the middle of May. I had a 45% ITM rate and a 28% ROI during that time following basic SNG strategy I've studied here and elsewhere: tight early, aggressive late.

Someone told me how the games at Party/Empire Poker were ludicrously soft, so I decided to sign up at Empire under a rakeback deal and start playing $5+1 SNGs, even though everyone here advised against it. This summer, I decided to play poker (mostly recreationally) while I'm not working part-time. I deposited $60 and started playing on July 1st.

I've now played 127 SNGs (very very small sample size, I know) and have a 45.8% ITM rate and an 18.3% ROI, but the ITM distribution doesn't seem great: 16-18-26-15-22. The smaller starting stack led to me having a small (4-6 BBs) stack near the bubble, where my maniacal pushes had less FE than at Stars. I've been bubbling more often on Empire, and seem to lose too many 60/40 or coinflips on/near the bubble, especially against the horrid calling stations that don't mind calling their K9s against my AJ. Am I correct in assuming that there are fewer calling stations at higher limits?

Now, I have $237 on Empire and want to move up soon to maximize $/hr. I also want to continue 4-tabling with a minimal RoR. I've gone through three 5-7 OOTM stretches already and want to make sure one of these stretches at the $10+1 level doesn't cripple me. How many buyins should I have before I move up? Keep in mind the extra rake the $5 SNGs charge.

Also, quick question: For those of you who use AleoMagus's spreadsheet and have rakeback, what do you do for accurate ROI/stats? Enter rake as 74c instead of $1 (for 26% rakeback)?

Thanks,
Sam.

runner4life7
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Skillwise you are more than ready for the 10+1s.

Bankroll - I have heard 30x Buy in is ok, but to be safe its usually best to have 50x. If you have more money available to add 30 is ok, but it can hurt mentally to have to add more, but IMO you are probably safe with 300-350 at the 10s but would be much much safer with 500 or so.

citanul
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
FAQ (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2540909&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

Don't know if you knew it was there. It's pretty good, if I can say so myself.

In the future, for questions of this sort, you might want to use the search tool.

citanul

flyingmoose
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
If I were you I'd take a shot and do a set of 11s. If it doesn't go well, you can just move back down.

samr
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I'm actually surprised I didn't get a reply like "Immediately. And it's not even close." or "Immediately. Do you see why?"

flyingmoose: I like your idea. I think I'll play a set of 10+1s tomorrow.

citanul: Yes, I've read the FAQ. It's a very useful resource, thanks. I just wanted some real advice / confirmation.

I'll wait till I hit ~ 350 to move up.

Thanks.

smb394
07-06-2005, 08:40 PM
You should move up pretty soon and stop paying 20% rake at the 6s.

Freudian
07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, quick question: For those of you who use AleoMagus's spreadsheet and have rakeback, what do you do for accurate ROI/stats? Enter rake as 74c instead of $1 (for 26% rakeback)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most calculate ROI without rakeback since it makes comparisons easier. Just treat rakeback as a lump post at the end of the month.