PDA

View Full Version : Scott Podsednik

Boris
07-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Can someone please explain why this guy is on the final all-star ballot? I just read an article that says he's actually the leading vote getter. Why? Matsui seems like the obvious choice with Jeter close behind.

Josh W
07-06-2005, 05:36 PM
SBs are 'sexier' than OBP.

Uston
07-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Because people think stolen bases are cool?

I'm also trying to figure out how he even made the final ballot.

Voltron87
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
if he gets in over matsui that will just be wrong.

matsui really should be an AS.

pryor15
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain why this guy is on the final all-star ballot?

[/ QUOTE ]

because they play baseball in places other than the east coast.

kyro
07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awesome argument. I guess we could use that argument as to why Matt Stairs should be an allstar. Come on, you can do better than this.

nolanfan34
07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Because he is the leadoff hitter for the best team in baseball.

He does the little things well, like bunting, and baserunning.

Check out those stolen bases!

He's "gritty", and "looks like a ballplayer".

Oh, and fans are dumb.

pryor15
07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awesome argument. I guess we could use that argument as to why Matt Stairs should be an allstar. Come on, you can do better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding? matt stairs can't run nearly as fast. well, his OBP puts him just outside the top 20 in the AL he's got nearly 2x as many SB as the next player in the AL and is given quite a bit of credit for the white sox having the best record in baseball. don't tell jack (b/c i think it'd kill him), but all-star games aren't all about stats, you've gotta factor in some intangibles somewhere, just like in MVP voting.

full disclosure: i don't think he should be in the game, but i've been asked to back up my sarcasm, so i tried.

mrbaseball
07-06-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all excellent reasons. If you watch this team play at all you will understand it better. He is easily the team MVP and they wouldn't be where they are without him. Baseball doesn't always boil down into some tidy little Bill James metric.

But also there is a huge campaign here in Chicago to get him voted in. It is getting a lot of local media play on sports radio and gamecasts here.

Phoenix1010
07-06-2005, 09:02 PM
What a joke.

Sooga
07-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Why is it ridiculous that Scott Podsednik could make the all-star team, yet not ridiculous that Ichiro's already on it? Podsednik has a higher on-base percentage than Ichiro and and he's got more stolen bases than 6 TEAMS. Now I'm not saying that Podsednik is a better player than Ichiro, or that Ichiro shouldn't be an all-star, but I find nothing wrong with Podsednik being there.

I mean, why is Ichiro there? He's there because he's a fan favorite because he's an exciting player to watch. Same with Podsednik. It's exhilirating watching a little guy like that scoot around the bases. If I'm gonna watch a game, do I want to watch someone like Podsednik, or someone 'boring' like Travis Hafner? Podsednik, by a mile. If I'm a GM and I'm building a team, I take Hafner every day of the week. The All-Star team is not necessarily about getting the 'best' players possible at each position. It's about getting players that fans want to see, and I certainly can't fault them for wanting to see Podsednik.

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't tell jack (b/c i think it'd kill him), but all-star games aren't all about stats, you've gotta factor in some intangibles somewhere, just like in MVP voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I thought all-star games were about whoever the fans want to see.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 09:45 PM
so what Boris, flukes happen.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and fans are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]I was getting nervous, thank you.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is easily the team MVP and they wouldn't be where they are without him.

[/ QUOTE ] you are talking about Garland and Buerhle, right?

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Podsednik has a higher on-base percentage than Ichiro

[/ QUOTE ] Ichiro's OPS is nearly 100 points higher. ICHIRO!!

[ QUOTE ]
and he's got more stolen bases than 6 TEAMS

[/ QUOTE ] SB's are waaaaaaaaay overated.

Sooga
07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I never said SB's were super-important. But when you've got a 16SB lead on the next closest guy, and you have an 82% SB success rate, then they start to become very valuable.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
its handy yeah, but I think the SB is sort of fading away. I guess its cool to see someone steal 100ish bases a year.

Sooga
07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Oh it's definitely fading away, what with everyone just waiting on 3-run homers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I believe in getting on base and hitting homers too. But I yearn for the days of Rickey and Rock, where a speedster could steal you 70+ bases at a 85+% clip, hit a couple homers, and on top of that, get you an OBP of .400+. Sigh....

DougOzzzz
07-06-2005, 10:37 PM
266 AB's:

0 triples
0 home runs

Triumph36
07-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Maybe Francona wants a pinch-runner for the late innings, and fans realize that. Posednik would bring a lot more to the roster than the other guys (Crawford excepted), since those guys won't get in the game. Ok, that's not it, but honestly, Posednik is just as exciting as any of these guys. Does anyone really want to see a lumbering DH like Matt Stairs?

And honestly, what non Yankees fan is voting for Matsui or Jeter? Why do people have the impression that people are voting based on who deserves it?

And also, it's unsurprising to me that the 2+2 Sports Forum would worship OPS. Posednik's stolen bases make up for his lack of slugging percentage. This may be fallacious, but subtract his 9 caught stealings and that's 98 times on base with what is effectively 55 'doubles'. Not bad.

Colonel Kataffy
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Stolen bases are cool.

andyfox
07-07-2005, 01:26 AM
"Posednik's stolen bases make up for his lack of slugging percentage. This may be fallacious, but subtract his 9 caught stealings and that's 98 times on base with what is effectively 55 'doubles'. Not bad.'

41 stolen bases, 9 caught stealings. That adds 32 "bases" to his total bases, giving him an "effective" slugging percentage of .456. (Of course a single plus a stolen base does not drive is not as valuable as a double.) Subtracting the 9 caught stealings gives him an "effective" on-base percentage of .304. So an "effective" OPS of .760.

Jeter, by comparison, using the same method, has an "effective" OPS of .864; Matsui .846.

But you're right, Podsednick would bring more to the roster in that he could be used as a stolen base expert in the late innings or when otherwise needed.

LoaferGee12
07-07-2005, 01:45 AM
He has been a huge part in turning the White Sox around this year. I highly doubt that is the reason most fans (other than White Sox fans) voted for him but that is reason enough for him to make it.

Jack of Arcades
07-07-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He has been a huge part in turning the White Sox around this year. I highly doubt that is the reason most fans (other than White Sox fans) voted for him but that is reason enough for him to make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Scotty's been a large reason for the downward trend in the RS of the White Sox.

Jack of Arcades
07-07-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never said SB's were super-important. But when you've got a 16SB lead on the next closest guy, and you have an 82% SB success rate, then they start to become very valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

5.38 runs, give or take... 1.

LoaferGee12
07-07-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Scotty's been a large reason for the downward trend in the RS of the White Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has helped us get a lot of early runs which IMO is big for the pitchers to get that early lead.

Jack of Arcades
07-07-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has helped us get a lot of early runs which IMO is big for the pitchers to get that early lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that he's the reason Mark Buehrle has a 2.58 ERA? Because that's the only way he's helping this team.

bort411
07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
God you're ignorant.

mrbaseball
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He has been a huge part in turning the White Sox around this year

[/ QUOTE ]

The stat geeks will never understand his importance. He totally changes and pressures opposing defenses and pitchers and actually takes control of the game when he gets on base. He brings several key intangibles with his speed and with his attitude. Team chemistry and attitude are critical to any winning team but these things don't show up in boxscores, just the win column.

sublime
07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
intangibles

excuse me, but that word has been copyrighted by Mr Derek Jeter.

Voltron87
07-07-2005, 10:17 AM
i call shenanigans. this guy got in over matsui?

podsednik: .289, 0 HR, 17 RBI, 48 R, 41 SB, .359 OBP, .693 OPS

matsui:

.317, 13 HR, 65 RBI, 54 R, OBP .385, OPS .907

Which one is better?

Uston
07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He has been a huge part in turning the White Sox around this year

[/ QUOTE ]

The stat geeks will never understand his importance. He totally changes and pressures opposing defenses and pitchers and actually takes control of the game when he gets on base. He brings several key intangibles with his speed and with his attitude. Team chemistry and attitude are critical to any winning team but these things don't show up in boxscores, just the win column.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain why this is the third year that Podsednik has been a full-time player, yet the first year his team hasn't been an abject disgrace? Did he learn all of these intangible skills over the offseason?

sublime
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i call shenanigans. this guy got in over matsui?

podsednik: .289, 0 HR, 17 RBI, 48 R, 41 SB, .359 OBP, .693 OPS

matsui:

.317, 13 HR, 65 RBI, 54 R, OBP .385, OPS .907

Which one is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

the answer seems obvious. i just call it poetic justice for all the cronies that made it to torres teams.

J.R.
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Id there any study that has tried to quantify the old baseball adages that a stolen base threat on first base: 1) requires the runner be held on (although most guys get held on), creating a hole in the infield / reducing the 1st baseman's range, 2) causes the pitcher to throw more fastballs, 3) distracts the pitcher from the batter at the plate, and 4) leads to pitchouts, or intentional balls. Something like batting average/.obp/.ops differential with a stolen base threat on first base (maybe to a lessser extent on second base)?

Posednick has 270 ABs, 32 walks, 78 hits, and 1 HBP, and 3 sac flies so his OBP = 111/306 or .363. subtacting out 9 CS I get 102/306 or a .33e OBP. (I realize he has played a couple games since your post) Not to say he deserved to be an all-star, but his "effective" ops should be almost .800, no?

hoopsie44
07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
intangibles

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with the phrase "4 time world champion".

DougOzzzz
07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Id there any study that has tried to quantify the old baseball adages that a stolen base threat on first base: 1) requires the runner be held on (although most guys get held on), creating a hole in the infield / reducing the 1st baseman's range, 2) causes the pitcher to throw more fastballs, 3) distracts the pitcher from the batter at the plate, and 4) leads to pitchouts, or intentional balls. Something like batting average/.obp/.ops differential with a stolen base threat on first base (maybe to a lessser extent on second base)?

Posednick has 270 ABs, 32 walks, 78 hits, and 1 HBP, and 3 sac flies so his OBP = 111/306 or .363. subtacting out 9 CS I get 102/306 or a .33e OBP. (I realize he has played a couple games since your post) Not to say he deserved to be an all-star, but his "effective" ops should be almost .800, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, on Baseball Prospectus James Click covered this a while ago (premium article).

On average, hitters gain about 15 points of AVG, 9 points of OBP, and 23 points of SLG when a "stolen base threat" is on 1st. This includes all runners who steal 2nd 8% of the time or more. Since Podsednik is well above the norm even for that group, his being on 1st might benefit the following hitters even more than that.

Aces McGee
07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
matsui really should be an AS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if only so that Ichiro doesn't have to compete in the Home Run Derby.

-McGee

sublime
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
intangibles

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with the phrase "4 time world champion".

[/ QUOTE ]

that too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nice ass!

LoaferGee12
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that he's the reason Mark Buehrle has a 2.58 ERA?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope.

Jack of Arcades
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God you're ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sox are winning because

1) Their pitchers are pitching out of their minds
2) Their offense has been unusually, inexplicably, and unsustainably consistent. Scott Podsednik is not the reason for this, nor is the "smart ball" that gets ozzie guillen more media blowjobs than derek jeter and tino martinez combined. The run distribution of offenses is more or less built into baseball, like one of those laws of physics. The White Sox are defying gravity right now, and it won't last.

Think about what Uston said. Scott Podesdnik surely didn't help Milwaukee, they were pathetic. In fact, trading him did them some good because Carlos Lee has been surely better than Scott.

If Podesnik's presence on the basepaths pressures defenses and takes the pitchers off of their games, why has the White Sox offense actually done WORSE this year than last year?

Here's the difference:

2004: 4.91 ERA
2005: 3.52 ERA

That's the big reason for their turn around. If someone wants to credit that to Podsednik, they can be my guest.

LoaferGee12
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God you're ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sox are winning because

1) Their pitchers are pitching out of their minds
2) Their offense has been unusually, inexplicably, and unsustainably consistent. Scott Podsednik is not the reason for this, nor is the "smart ball" that gets ozzie guillen more media blowjobs than derek jeter and tino martinez combined. The run distribution of offenses is more or less built into baseball, like one of those laws of physics. The White Sox are defying gravity right now, and it won't last.

Think about what Uston said. Scott Podesdnik surely didn't help Milwaukee, they were pathetic. In fact, trading him did them some good because Carlos Lee has been surely better than Scott.

If Podesnik's presence on the basepaths pressures defenses and takes the pitchers off of their games, why has the White Sox offense actually done WORSE this year than last year?

Here's the difference:

2004: 4.91 ERA
2005: 3.52 ERA

That's the big reason for their turn around. If someone wants to credit that to Podsednik, they can be my guest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their hitting is worse because they lost Magglio and Carlos combined with the fact that Konerko/Rowand have underproduced thus far. If it weren't for Pods and a few key others the offense would be dead.

Aytumious
07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
The Sox have given up the fewest runs in all of baseball. That is the end of the argument as to why their record is so good. Jack is once again on the money, folks.

Jack of Arcades
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Magglio hardly played last year.

And they didn't "lose" Carlos. They sent him packing.