PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Documentary

Kyle
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm looking for some good documentaries to buy/ watch. What are everyone's favorites. My personal favorite is The Fog of War with Robert McNamara.

IronDragon1
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some good documentaries to buy/ watch. What are everyone's favorites. My personal favorite is The Fog of War with Robert McNumara.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports-When We Were Kings
Politics type things-Killing Pablo

The Truth
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some good documentaries to buy/ watch. What are everyone's favorites. My personal favorite is The Fog of War with Robert McNumara.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fog of War was amazing. I also like the Noam Chomsky documentary... I think its called, "Manufacturing Consent"

maxfisher
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
The Corporation, (Fog of War is great), Manufacturing Consent is respected, HBO on demand has a lot of amazing documentaries

squeek12
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Hoop Dreams

bwana devil
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
crumb - strange
capturing the friedmans - bizarre
hoop dreams - urban/sports life

Uston
American Movie, Riding Giants, Crumb.

maxfisher
Oh yeah, if u can get it The Weather Underground and another, the Taking of Patty Hearst

offTopic
For me, it's a tossup between

Ken Burns' This Thread Was Done Last Month (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2594663&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) and Michael Moore's Burning Pile of Poo (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2594663&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
http://www.realboogienights.com/images/animated%20_tits_logo_left.gifhttp://www.realboogienights.com/images/animated%20_bouncing_tits.gifhttp://www.realboogienights.com/images/animated%20_tits_logo_right.gif

BeerMoney
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Hoop Dreams. Simply fascinating.

emptydoubleyou
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Okie Noodling

Noodling, a type of fishing activity that uses hands as bait, rod and reel (and that's banned everywhere but four states in America) is the subject of this engrossing documentary by Brad Beasley. With a healthy dose of humor and panache, Beasley captures noodling in all its eccentric glory, presenting it not merely as folly but as a true sport in Oklahoma, where he trails a band of men (and their sons) who've taken to "extreme" fishing.

pryor15
07-06-2005, 05:22 PM
didn't the flaming lips do the music?

WillMagic
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Capturing the Friedmans is superb.

I've heard great things about Hoop Dreams but I've yet to see it.

Will

private joker
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
The Times of Harvey Milk
Tokyo Olympiad
Bowling For Columbine
Hoop Dreams
Meeting People Is Easy

swede123
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I realize it's a dramatization based on real events, but if you haven't seen/don't own Band of Brothers you need to go out and buy that one right now. The best show made for Television. Ever.

Swede

raisins
07-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Salesman is a classic documentary from the 60s. It's about 4 salesman who are going door to door selling overdone "family bibles" to blue collar families. It's pretty desperate work, the item is overpriced, gaudy and unnecessary and the families are not far from broke. It reminds me of Glenn Gary Glenn Ross but it is not an out and out con and the film is a lot slower paced. The brothers who made it also did Gimme Shelter, the Rolling Stones concert at Altamont where the guy got stabbed by the Hell's Angel. Salesman is considered their best film.

I don't know if you'll get the chance to see Titicut Follies but it I recommend it strongly. Somewhat disturbing.

regards,

raisins

John Cole
07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I'd also recommend Grey Gardens from the Maysle brothers. Wiseman has yet to approve any of his films for release on DVD, so there's little chance of seeing his work anywhere except for on PBS or at a local college (unless you want to spend the five or six hundred bucks to rent the film).

In a couple months, Vernon, Florida, by Errol Morris will be available on DVD.

One other recommendation: Brother's Keeper.

itsmesteve
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I just saw one on PBS last night that was really good. "Street Fight" about the 2002 Mayoral election in Newark, NJ. It was made by Marshall Curry and just came out this year.

The Truth
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Where is a good place to buy/rent these dvd's besides netflix?

OrangeCat
07-06-2005, 07:17 PM
IMO, FOW is exceedingly biased. I suggest you seek out a more objective documentary of the Vietnam era such as “Vietnam - The Ten Thousand Day War” or "Vietnam: A Television History"

“The Sky Above, The Mud Below” – Film made in 1961 by the first white men to travel to remote jungle regions of New Guinea.

“Jazz” and “The Civil War” by Ken Burns are both great.

“crumb” is interesting if you like Zap comics.

"Woodstock" and "Montery Pop" great for music docs.

"Spinal Tap" is a music mockumentary that is quite well done.

try docuseek.com and documentaryfilms.net

shant
07-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Style Wars
Scratch

trotski
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
"Dark Days" It's about these people who live in the subway tunnels in NYC...kinda creepy but very good.

raisins
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned this, Waco: The Rules of Engagement is a must see.

Claunchy
07-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Any Errol Morris documentary is greatness. My personal favorite is "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control."

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Style Wars
Choke
Hoop Dreams
Spellbound
Best Boy
Fahrenhype 911

ChipWrecked
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
9/11 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006B1HI/qid=1120711857/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5636937-7252956?v=glance&s=dvd)

Made by the French brothers who were on site when the planes hit. CBS ran this a while back. Not to be missed.

Blarg
07-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Koyanisqatsi
Vietnam: A Television History
Manufacturing Consent
Burden of Dreams
My Best Fiend
When We Were Kings

There are so many others I've been moved or enlightened by that I have no idea where to begin, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Oh yeah, Supersize Me was pretty fun. And I liked the documentary on Bruce Lee that was on the special anniversary edition of Enter the Dragon. That's it for now.

hoyaboy1
07-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Microcosmos, amazing insect documentary

Blarg
07-07-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Okie Noodling

Noodling, a type of fishing activity that uses hands as bait, rod and reel (and that's banned everywhere but four states in America) is the subject of this engrossing documentary by Brad Beasley. With a healthy dose of humor and panache, Beasley captures noodling in all its eccentric glory, presenting it not merely as folly but as a true sport in Oklahoma, where he trails a band of men (and their sons) who've taken to "extreme" fishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that was a hilarious and almost unbelievable way to fish. I can't help think of snapping turtles biting your fingers off, too. Definitely a real slice of American style. Just amazing to me.

astroglide
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
my favorite documentary is crumb

Larimani
07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Bowling for Columbine.

Overdrive
07-07-2005, 01:00 PM
"Cinemania" is about these obsessed movie fans who literally watch 3,4 or as many movies a day as they can, every day. Very unique and unusual.

pj4533
07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some good documentaries to buy/ watch. What are everyone's favorites. My personal favorite is The Fog of War with Robert McNamara.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the reason 'The Fog of War' was so good, is purely due to Errol Morris. That man is amazing at interviewing.

Check out any of his feature length documentaries, but if you want a REALLY amazing experience, wait a bit and pick up the dvds of his series 'First Person'. It is one-on-one interviews touching on many different topics. They all use a interviewing machine he developed that allowed constant eye contact with his subjects.

-pj

Sifmole
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Bowling For Columbine

[/ QUOTE ]

Micheal Moore doesn't make documentaries, he makes editorial opinion pieces that play fast and loose with facts and timelines.

Micheal Moore winning an Oscar for documentary was like Milli Vanilli winning a Grammy.

kitaristi0
07-07-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bowling For Columbine

[/ QUOTE ]

Micheal Moore doesn't make documentaries, he makes editorial opinion pieces that play fast and loose with facts and timelines.

Micheal Moore winning an Oscar for documentary was like Milli Vanilli winning a Grammy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you don't agree with all the stuff he's saying, Bowling for Columbine is still a very good documentary/movie/editorial opinion piece.

Fahrenheit 911 was disappointing.

rmarotti
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Okie Noodling

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a must-see.

Sifmole
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bowling For Columbine

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you don't agree with all the stuff he's saying, Bowling for Columbine is still a very good documentary/movie/editorial opinion piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that calling Bowling for Columbine a "documentary" does an injustice to documentaries. I value the scholarship of the majority of documentarians; their work is mostly a labor of love and a thirst for information. Michael Moore makes a mockery of these things.

Without his manipulation of timelines and gross misrepresentation of context Bowling for Columbine falls apart in to a meaningless ball of mud. There were so many ways to make a documentary about that subject, so many valid ways to make his desired point -- but instead he stooped to base manipulations. It is not a good documentary or even a good movie.

bronzepiglet
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both of these statements. Bowling for Columbine was pretty strong most of the time and seemed to find genuine bits of truth here and there. Fahrenheit... hmmm.

bronzepiglet
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I didn't see Gimme Shelter anywhere in this thread (I could've missed it). Great music documentary. Also some perspective on that era, which is good because I wasn't around then.

Meeting People is Easy is great, too. Capturing the Freidmans is challenging, interesting, and slightly disturbing.

-Skeme-
07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My point was that calling Bowling for Columbine a "documentary" does an injustice to documentaries. I value the scholarship of the majority of documentarians; their work is mostly a labor of love and a thirst for information. Michael Moore makes a mockery of these things.

Without his manipulation of timelines and gross misrepresentation of context Bowling for Columbine falls apart in to a meaningless ball of mud. There were so many ways to make a documentary about that subject, so many valid ways to make his desired point -- but instead he stooped to base manipulations. It is not a good documentary or even a good movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good post.

swede123
07-07-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bowling For Columbine

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to realize that he intended on taking the time to do it right, doing his research, interviewing and filming all involved parties in order to document what happened at Columbine. Then, however, he got a sudden craving for cheese burgers, decided to call it a day and ended up editing the little footage he had...

If I had Moore and Antonio Esfandiari in front of me and I could only punch one in the face it would be a very difficult decision.

Swede

gaming_mouse
07-07-2005, 05:56 PM
If you liked The Fog Of War, you might also like some of errol morris's other documentaries.

These are all excellent:

The Thin Blue Line
Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control
Mr. Death

Also, "Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills" is absolutely incredible -- this is what Capturing The Friedman's was trying to be.

When We Were Kings, already mentioned, is terrific.

Blarg
07-07-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bowling For Columbine

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's Fox News when you need 'em, eh?

KingMarc
07-07-2005, 06:42 PM
While not a movie (well it was..but whatever), the TV Show 30 Days is *the* greatest documentary or show ever created. It is so mind opening that it's insane.

Duffman
07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Scratch
The Blue Planet (http://imdb.com/title/tt0296310/)

Losing all
07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills" is absolutely incredible

[/ QUOTE ]

This was great!

Fog of war was very good. It went downhill quickly when they got to vietnam, but the Japan stuff was amazing.

If you like baseball "When it was a game" (HBO) has some very cool 50's and 60's footage.

The history channel's newest "Last days of WWII" is some of the best, most interesting stuff I've seen there.

larrondo
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I loved the Weather Underground. Also, Off The Charts: The Song Poem Story is a really funny doc. Did you ever see those ads: 'Turn Your Poems Into Hit Songs?' A very funny look at both sides of the transaction.

OrangeCat
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It’s a documentary if it displays real people, places, and events. A pure documentary is not trying to prove a point or argue an opinion. It’s propaganda if the film is motivated by an ideology or agenda. “Columbine” and “F911” are clearly propaganda.

I like your Milli Vanilli comparison.

Blarg
07-07-2005, 09:31 PM
You'll never hear a word uttered that isn't about hard science that isn't heavily influenced by opinion. There is no such thing as a "pure" documentary.

whiskeytown
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
only seen this question about 10 times this year...

try "The Corporation" - -

RB

rmarotti
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Has "Don't Look Back" really not been mentioned yet?