PDA

View Full Version : Piniella slides a little further off the deep end

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/06/Rays/Lou_resorts_to_starti.shtml

With Lance Carter's implosion in Tuesday's 6-4 loss to the White Sox the latest debacle, manager Lou Piniella apparently felt there is no way any of the Devil Rays relievers can protect a lead in the eighth inning.

So he decided his next move is to try something that is totally different, potentially controversial and perhaps unprecedented.

Starting tonight, Piniella said he will use a reliever for the first two innings, then bring in his scheduled starter with the idea that he can pitch through the eighth before yielding to closer Danys Baez.

"I've made up my mind, and that's what we're going to do," Piniella said. "People are going to think I'm crazy, but we're just going to try it.

"Starting (tonight). I'll bring in whatever reliever I feel like starting the game with, and I'll bring my starter in in the third inning and we'll play nine innings of baseball that way. I'm serious."

Piniella first mentioned the idea last weekend, then dismissed it over concern for the starters' physical preparation.

sublime
07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
a: hes trying to get fired
b: this isnt as crazy, or silly as it seems

Voltron87
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
What he did in that game at YS where the yankees had that 13 run 8th inning or whatever was just wrong, leaving harper in the whole time.

That said, I want to watch this.

BigD226
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and c: he's still an a-hole /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sublime
07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and c: he's still an a-hole /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

of course /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pryor15
07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
this is gonna be so much fun. best news i've heard all day.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't remember where I read about this, but one uber-stat guru/geek said that this was a good idea. Much like batting your #3 or #4 hitter first. I don't think that this idea is crazy at all, however it is crazy that someone is finally going to do it.

hoyaboy1
All MLB managers use their staff in a way that is far less than optimal. This isn't great, but it's no worse than what everybody else does. At least he can think outside the box a little bit.

Russ McGinley
This is an awesome idea. Imagine seeing this in New York. Only in Tampa could this be done.

ThaSaltCracka
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
the article in question I read (in case anyone is curious) was on ESPN.com about a year ago, and is was about the guy who was the forefather of the sabermatics [censored]. Apparently James was a student of his.

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I think that the whole starter, middle reliever, set-up man, closer idea is horseshit and I always have. If you have a pitcher who's good and who's rested, put him in the game. I don't care what label you've put on him.

If you think about it, that's like saying a certain basketball player can't play in the fourth quarter. He's only a first half guy.

But I don't think you'd find many people, especially in MLB, who'd agree with that.

That said, I think his actions may...uh...not be ideal if he ever wants to coach in the bigs again.

CollinEstes
07-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I will enjoy seeing this but I have thought about a different kind of situation that happens all the time. Tell me what you guys think.

Your starter goes 7 but is obviously done. Due up for the other team is their 3-4-5 or 2-3-4 or whatever the heart of the lineup. Why don't you throw you best relief pitcher (probably your closer) in the 8th, then put you set-up man out there for the 9th when the bottom of the order is due up.

hoyaboy1
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Because being different is scary.

CollinEstes
07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I think teams get caught up in the whole stats world with saves. Who cares about saves if you are winning games.

Don't you always want to have your best available to face their best in the late innings of a close game.

Jack of Arcades
07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think teams get caught up in the whole stats world with saves. Who cares about saves if you are winning games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Closers

Uston
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I thought last October that the Dodgers should have let Gagne start at least one game in the NLDS. It's better than stupidly letting him pitch the eighth inning when his team is down 8-3. At least by starting him you guarantee he pitches an important inning or two.

Voltron87
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Closers who want good arbitration hearings

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Russ McGinley
07-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Meh, Piniella pussied out. Oh well.

goofball
07-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Pinella kicks ass. I still tell the story about the time he got thrown out of a game and started to kick dirt on the plate. After a few seconds he decided that wasn't enough and started scooping handfuls of dirt on the plate. When the plate was no longer visible he left.

HajiShirazu
07-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Here in Japan, for some ungodly reason, they still show all the hideo nomo games, so I get to watch the Devil Rays a little. If I had to manage that team, I'd probably want to get fired too. I mean, these nomo games are ugly. Talk about not being able to get anybody out all.

sublime
07-07-2005, 08:39 AM
That said, I think his actions may...uh...not be ideal if he ever wants to coach in the bigs again.

ohh, he will get another job NO PROBLEM.