PDA

View Full Version : How to get a room upgrade in Vegas?

Creole
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I'll be going to Vegas Aug 7, and will be asking my g/f to marry me while we're there (it's a surprise). Anyway, I've heard that at check-in if you just ask to be upgraded (depending on how booked they are) they may give you an upgrade on the room for free. Is there any truth to this, has anyone done it, and how would you ask for the upgrade? Tip the check-in person, use the engagement story, any other better way? We're staying at the TI.

meep_42
07-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Check in late in the day on a non-Fri/Sat night.

I got upgraded to a suite at Boardwalk and a bit better room at Trop during my last trip, and I booked both of them at discount rates online. (And I don't, in any way, look like a high roller.)

Asking can't hurt either.

-d

Duke
07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
You're asking a girl to marry you while trying to save a buck on the hotel room. That's awesome.

~D

siccjay
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
:::forwards this post to Creole's gf.:::

Creole
07-06-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're asking a girl to marry you while trying to save a buck on the hotel room. That's awesome.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure I have to save somewhere, because if she says yes life will cost a whole hell of alot more.

goofball
07-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Seeing as I only learned about this after I moved here, I haven't used it.

As you check in have a $20 bill visible underneath your hand on the counter. Ask if they have any available upgrades. If she says yes and does it, leave the bill. If she says no, take it.

chaas4747
07-06-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As you check in have a $20 bill visible underneath your hand on the counter. Ask if they have any available upgrades. If she says yes and does it, leave the bill. If she says no, take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the whole twenty?

goofball
07-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Tear it up if you must but that might be less effective.

Argus
07-07-2005, 04:07 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the whole twenty?

[/ QUOTE ]
I considered this last time I was in Vegas, but I didn't know how to suavely suggest a bribe. If you think about how much more the upgraded room would be per night, $20 is pretty cheap. My girlfriend and I debated whether $20 or $50 would be better. I can't imagine getting upgraded for less unless you were going to get upgraded for free.

DavidC
07-07-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money are you saving by upgrading but paying $20 for it? How long will they upgrade you for?

DavidC
07-07-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, can you upgrade if you're using poker rates / rooms?

Creole
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
What ya think $50 to the check in person gets ya?

drewjustdrew
07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I got upgraded to a suite at Boardwalk and a bit better room at Trop during my last trip, and I booked both of them at discount rates online. (And I don't, in any way, look like a high roller.)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. We checked into Orleans after 9pm midweek. We didn't even ask, they just upgraded us to an awesome two room suite. Booked online as well. I assume the regular rooms were all taken by the time we checked in.

meep_42
07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. We checked into Orleans after 9pm midweek. We didn't even ask, they just upgraded us to an awesome two room suite. Booked online as well. I assume the regular rooms were all taken by the time we checked in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think they're just trying to earn repeat business. The suites aren't going to get filled, so they may as well use them to try to get a good customer.

-d

Creole
07-08-2005, 07:50 AM
bump... any more suggestions?

hyde
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
you gotta ask.

'Do you have a courtesy upgrade available?"

tone helps.
ask as if you get them often.
no demanding
no whineing