PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in NY who pays for their own health insurance?

octop
07-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I am 22 and have lived off my poker winnings since I graduated from college last year. I live in NYC and I'm 22. Can anybody recomend any good health insurance plans that are reasonably priced?

otctrader
07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
If you qualify, www.healthyny.com (http://www.healthyny.com) is the state subsidized plan $150-200/mo otherwise I think your only options are GHI or Aetna which will run between $350-$600/mo depending on if you want an HMO or POS plan.

Structuring yourself as a one-person business has no advantage in NY, nor does being a healthy 20-something, you'll pay the same rate as a mortally obese 60 year old. It's outrageous, but nonetheless skimping on health insurance is major -EV.

octop
07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
That link is a dud

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

bdk3clash
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Man, you didn't try very hard.

First Google result for "Healthy NY" (http://www.ins.state.ny.us/website2/hny/english/hnyapp.htm).

StacysMom
07-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I also just graduated, but am still on my parents insurance so I am rather ignorant on this issue.

But I can still make an anology that is up for criticism.

Insurance is essentially playing a lower limit game with an unbeatable rake structure because you don't want to maintain the becesary BR for the big game.

Does anyone here just essentially pay themselves premiums in a designated "health" account? THis would avoid the rake.

beach_bum
07-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't think you really understand how much the bills can be if you need a lot of health care. The premiums don't begin to cover what the costs could be. For those without insurance get yourself major medical coverage and pay for all the small stuff out of your pocket. If you need serious medical care and you are uninsured you will be broke unless you decide to take whatever care the government will give you.

[ QUOTE ]
I also just graduated, but am still on my parents insurance so I am rather ignorant on this issue.

But I can still make an anology that is up for criticism.

Insurance is essentially playing a lower limit game with an unbeatable rake structure because you don't want to maintain the becesary BR for the big game.

Does anyone here just essentially pay themselves premiums in a designated "health" account? THis would avoid the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

illogical
07-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Did you find any good plans, octop? I'm currently shopping for health insurance in NY also. GHI (http://www.ghi.com/plans/indiv_family/pl_ind_main.html) offers 2 plans for those that don't qualify for HealthyNY. One is basic insurance and I think the other is major medical addon. Total yearly premium is ~$8000 for those 2 plans /images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's a good chunk of change but I think I'll enroll in it for peace of mind.

If you found any other good plans please share /images/graemlins/smile.gif

boose_bagina
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
holy crap, i didn't know you guys in the states paid so much for health care.

octop
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I have found absoloutely nothing thats even remotely reasonable which is really disgusting considering how cheap it is in other parts of the country

illogical
07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
yeah, seems like NY pretty much sucks when it comes to health care. OTOH, I can always make a visit to the welfare office and lie about my poker income to get free health care. /images/graemlins/blush.gif My taxes are already supporting those leeches who are too lazy or dumb to work. Maybe it's time I get to enjoy the benefits of the tax system. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

octop
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Well In january I had a problem in mu useless rigth hand and went to the city hospital and got a bill for like 2 thousand dollars. They asked if I had insurance and I said no. They had me fill out some income form and my bill was reduced to 45 dollars.
However if I have a real problem there's no way Im going to a city hospital.

sublime
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well In january I had a problem in mu useless rigth hand and went to the city hospital and got a bill for like 2 thousand dollars. They asked if I had insurance and I said no. They had me fill out some income form and my bill was reduced to 45 dollars.
However if I have a real problem there's no way Im going to a city hospital.

[/ QUOTE ]

your hand not working doesn't qualify as a serious problem?

octop
07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
It was working there was just a small problem
If I had a heart problem or brain problem Id go to a real hospital and pay the bill

other1
07-20-2005, 08:38 PM
There are VERY few options in NYS, and NYC leaves you even less. I recently switched to GHI. I used to have Oxford. Oxford was frigging insane.. I ended up taking the cheapest GHI plan (I call it the, 'if I get hit by a car theyll take me to the hospital plan') and thats still $1k/quarter.