PDA

View Full Version : KNICKS trade rumor

lil_o
07-06-2005, 03:17 PM
There has been some buzz for a Knicks trade with Sixers as follows:

Marbury and T. Thomas

for

Dalembert, Mashburn, Ollie, McKie

Isiah says if he completes this trade he will move Crawford to PG, Q-Rich to SG and Frye to PF.

Good trade or potential disaster?

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
This is one of those trades where both teams lose for acquiring such crummy players.

tbach24
07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
The 76ers GM would takeover Isiah as the worst in the game if he did this trade.

Phoenix1010
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Whaaaaa? The two premier undersized shootfirst ball hog point guards in the league on the same team? Have the Sixers lost their minds or are you making this up?

lil_o
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
If you look at the records of teams that trade Stephon Marbury they consistently improve the year after.

T'Wolves, Nets, Suns...

lil_o
07-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I read this rumor on ESPN Insider.

Just imagine the chemistry of Iverson, Marbury, T. Thomas and Webber playing together. That would be painful (from a fundamental team perspective) to watch.

Phoenix1010
07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you look at the records of teams that trade Stephon Marbury they consistently improve the year after.

T'Wolves, Nets, Suns...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. Marbury is a team killer and always will be. I'd trade him for a ball of yarn and cap space. It just seems like the worst trade in the world for the Sixers. Can anyone paste the relevant parts of that Insider article?

lil_o
07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
"Team president Isiah Thomas is trying everything to remake the team's roster. That includes, according to multiple team executives, offering Stephon Marbury to the highest bidder. The problem is that no one seems interested in the four years, $76 million left on his contract.

Thomas is willing to trade Marbury to the Sixers for Samuel Dalembert (in a sign-and-trade), according to two league sources. To get a deal to work under the CBA, the deal would have to be expanded because of base-year issues with Dalembert. A trade of Marbury and Tim Thomas for Dalembert, Jamal Mashburn, Aaron McKie and Kevin Ollie works under the cap.

The Knicks' plan would be to move Jamal Crawford to the point, with Quentin Richardson at the two. Channing Frye would play the four, with Dalembert at the five."

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
this is just a chad ford grumbling. it won't happen.

hoyaboy1
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
In other words, this is totally made up.

IronDragon1
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
So I take it Q is going to be alright

Also, this trade would be pretty terrible for both teams. The sixers get two more ballhogs (why don't they just trade for Ricky Davis while they're at it to circle the square?-while the Knicks, other than Dalembert, get no one of any distinguishable talent thus putting their future in the hands of someone who may not even be around (Q)

But whatever, both teams's fortunes are horribly irrelvant in the big picture of the Eastern conference, let alone the NBA as a whole

lil_o
07-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I just noticed it was a Chad Ford article. I don't remember the last time he was even close with one of his trade rumors. lol.

Phoenix1010
07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind getting some size back, but I think we should be able to get better than Samuel Dalembert in return for Marbury, and if we can't, we should probably just stick it out with him. I'm also not a fan of trading Thomas for basically nothing.

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 76ers GM would takeover Isiah as the worst in the game if he did this trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teddy don't buy into the media bias. Look what Isiah has turned.

This team into.

49 Shandon Anderson SF 6-6 210 Georgia
51 Michael Doleac C 6-11 262 Utah
4 Howard Eisley PG 6-2 180 Boston College
32 Othella Harrington PF 6-9 235 Georgetown
20 Allan Houston SG 6-6 200 Tennessee
6 Maciej Lampe F 6-11 240 Poland
34 Antonio McDyess PF 6-9 245 Alabama
55 Dikembe Mutombo C 7-2 265 Georgetown
50 Mike Sweetney PF 6-8 260 Georgetown
40 Kurt Thomas FC 6-9 235 Texas Christian
2 Keith Van Horn F 6-10 255 Utah
29 Slavko Vranes C 0-0 0 Serbia-Montenegro
21 Charlie Ward PG 6-2 185 Florida State
35 Clarence Weatherspoon F 6-7 270 Southern Miss
30 Frank Williams PG 6-3 212 Illinois

into
Marbury, Q-Rich, Crawford, Tim Thomas, Mo Taylor, Malik Rose, Sweetney, Ariza, Robinson, Houston, Butler, (IR), Fry, Nate, David Lee.

The current roster is infinitely more talented, and theres still some moves left + the Knicks have two more 1st round picks next year.

Any arguments about the salary cap or payroll is silly because the knicks are doomed because of Houston's contract. I'll take Zeke over Scott Layden anyday.

(Camby and nene for McDyess and F-Will--gag)

holeplug
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
This sounds totally made up. The Sixers are not trading Dalembert, he is one of their 'untouchables'.

lil_o
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Talent doesn't matter unless you make the playoffs, especially if you are way over the salary cap.

The Nuggets are infinitely more talented then the Knicks and their payroll is just $32M.

(although getting rid of Shandon Anderson was a huge +++)

hoyaboy1
07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
You realize that Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, and Thomas are all highly overpaid and overrated, right?

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You realize that Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, and Thomas are all highly overpaid and overrated, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

but an improvement over Howard Eisley, Shandon Anderson, Keith Van Horn and Clarence Weatherspoon. Thats' all that matters with the NBA cap the way it is.

hoyaboy1
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
All Thomas has done is extend the misery that is NBA mediocrity, while giving up potentially higher draft picks.

With the new rules the Knicks can clear Houston's contract.

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All Thomas has done is extend the misery that is NBA mediocrity, while giving up potentially higher draft picks.

With the new rules the Knicks can clear Houston's contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't come off the cap and they still have to pay it. They only save luxury tax. (Basically this new rule only helps the dolans)

LBJ
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds totally made up. The Sixers are not trading Dalembert, he is one of their 'untouchables'.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Dalembert is a free agent, althought he is restricted. If the Sixers see another team offer Dalembert a HUGE contract, they will most likely look for a sign and trade instead of letting him go.

LBJ
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Marbury- 15.3
Tim Thomas- 14

Total- 29.3 in salaries

Dalembert- X
Mashburn- 10
Ollie- 3
McKie-6

Total- 19 + X

This trade will only work if Dalembert gets around $10 million for the FIRST YEAR of his contract (with annual raises of 8%) which won't happen.

[censored]
07-06-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just noticed it was a Chad Ford article. I don't remember the last time he was even close with one of his trade rumors. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never can't be far off.