PDA

View Full Version : Ethics of picking up a girl at work

scotty34
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
This summer, I am working as a waiter/bartender at a restaurant near my house. This is the restaurant for my golf course, so the general customer base is middle-aged to older men, and older women. However, we do get the occasional young female come in, and actually quite a few of them when we host weddings.

A couple of days ago, a rather attractive young girl came in with her mom (or older sister?) There was an obvious connection, as she kept looking over at me and smiling etc. I talked to her a bit, and found out that she was from town, but they had just won a night's stay at the guest ranch beside the golf course and that's why they were out here.

My question is this: seeing as how I am on shift and representing my company, would it be wrong for me to ask for a number, or suggest some other form of contacting this girl again? She does live in my town, but the chances of me running into her again by chance are pretty close to zero. At first, I did not think it would be a big deal to ask, but then I thought it might reflect bad on the company if staff is asking out customers. Would my boss have reason to be upset if I did this? Should I have gone for it, or should I have realized there are other girls out there and this is neither the place nor the time?

CollinEstes
07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I think it depends on your boss. As long as you aren't harassing the girls or making it extremely uncomfortable for them to come back I think it ok.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
The point of working at such a job is to a) bang chicks b) maybe make some money. I say bangbangbang.

turnipmonster
07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
uhh dude you work in a restaraunt. representing your company? wtf is that?

--turnipmonster

2+2 wannabe
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are many tactful ways you can get her number with her mom there

scotty34
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll clarify that a bit. I have lived on this golf course for 6 years now, and every homeowner on the course owns a portion of the course itself. I have also worked at this golf course for 5 years now, and am in my 6th. I have worked on the maintenance crew for two years, three years in guest services, and this is my first year in the restaurant. I would say I know 80% of the members by name/face when I see them, and many of them seem to like me, and are always asking about school, and how my life is going. I also do actually care about the welfare of the course, and really hope that it does well.

scotty34
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are many tactful ways you can get her number with her mom there

[/ QUOTE ]

Her mom was not the issue at all, and it may have even been her older sister (looked mid 30's, but may be older). This lady was smiling at me too, and would lean over and whisper stuff to the younger girl occasionally. I noticed I didn't have my nametag on, and after I put it on, she made a point of referring to me by my name.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll clarify that a bit. I have lived on this golf course for 6 years now, and every homeowner on the course owns a portion of the course itself. I have also worked at this golf course for 5 years now, and am in my 6th. I have worked on the maintenance crew for two years, three years in guest services, and this is my first year in the restaurant. I would say I know 80% of the members by name/face when I see them, and many of them seem to like me, and are always asking about school, and how my life is going. I also do actually care about the welfare of the course, and really hope that it does well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been working there this long and you still haven't figured out how to bang the clientele? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

squeek12
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
This situation is read dependent. If you trust your read that she is interested, go for it. If it's just a hunch, I would procede cautiously. You can't ruin your rep if you're pretty sure she's into you. Even if she isn't, she at least seems friendly and not likely the type to go taddling to your boss.

scotty34
07-06-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been working there this long and you still haven't figured out how to bang the clientele? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated before, the clientele is middle-aged to older men, and older ladies. The restaurant is the ONLY place where I have seen girls under 25. The course was never a good place to pick up women for me, and still isn't a whole lot better now that I'm in the restaurant. Trying to bang hot pro shop girls or waitresses is a different topic though.

PokerBob
07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As stated before, the clientele is middle-aged to older men, and older ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

And? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
This is completely within reason. More so if you end up SIIHP.

offTopic
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does she look like this?

http://sweetspotrealty.com/lacey.jpg

Dude, stick with Maggie O'Hooligan.

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have lived on this golf course for 6 years now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sexypanda
07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Just ask for her #, there is a difference though between asking and harassing though. As long as you're not weird about it, there's absolutely no problem asking a cute girl for her number.

meep_42
07-06-2005, 03:40 PM
If you didn't get the number, this will be the saddest OOT story since Alobar's French teacher.

-d

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Go for it.

scotty34
07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From my deck /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/smcleod08/000_0400.jpg

SpearsBritney
07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DIE!

scotty34
07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you didn't get the number, this will be the saddest OOT story since Alobar's French teacher.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, no I didn't end up doing it. I justified this to myself by saying this keeps my chances alive with the two waitresses I was working with at the time. I would assume that would have been totally shot if they saw me asking out a customer.

sexypanda
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, no I didn't end up doing it. I justified this to myself by saying this keeps my chances alive with the two waitresses I was working with at the time. I would assume that would have been totally shot if they saw me asking out a customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, they'd probably be more into you.

touchfaith
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Jerk /images/graemlins/wink.gif

In this type of environment, I think it is one of the few situations where it is perfectly acceptable to "hit" on a customer.

Sounds bad, but if you where the mexican busboy or something (I am mexican), I would say no, but if you are member of a homeowners family who just happens to be working there for some extra coin...I think it's actually expected.

chaas4747
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

siccjay
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DIE!

[/ QUOTE ]

SLOW!

siccjay
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!

If they were really whispering about you and all that mess then you really f'd up. Calling you by your name as well. I see those as signs of attraction. If you by any chance see this girl again you better be banging her within 24 hours.

scotty34
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!

If they were really whispering about you and all that mess then you really f'd up. Calling you by your name as well. I see those as signs of attraction. If you by any chance see this girl again you better be banging her within 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly that has to be one of the most frustrating things ever, and it happens SO often. You will be in some sort of social setting with someone you find attractive where you probably had a chance to get some. You don't say the right words, and it doesn't work out. For the rest of the night, and the entire next day, you think "DAMNIT, if I had only said.... then I could have gotten laid." This is on my mind for a long time afterwards - anyone else have this a lot?

siccjay
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Happens to everyone.

If I would have just said this, if I would have just done that. Especially now that I think back to high school days and things like that. If I knew then what I know now it would be all the way on.

Thats life.