PDA

View Full Version : I hate this river... what do I do?

DrunkHamster
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
MP3 in this hand seems rational from what I've seen so far (must've had JJ/QQ). SB had just sat down for his BB the hand before, so I don't really know what he's like. Up to the river I think I played it fine. The question is, what do I do to the donkbet. Fairly often I see this when villain has trips, but equally he could easily be bluffing. So, what would you guys do as your standard line against an unknown: raise or just call?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...
Final Pot: 11.50 BB

aK13
07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I can't possibly see how you can justify a raise.

gharp
07-06-2005, 02:20 PM
If it's a stone cold bluff he probably folds when you raise. So, without any reads on this guy, you might as well just call.

Sir Bruce
07-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Call. What can raising possibly accomplish? What are you planning to do if he 3-bets?

bozlax
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Looks to me like SB is playing a WA/WB, and I don't think a "normal" player would have done all that cold-calling with any hand that had a 5 in it preflop (except the extremely unlikely 55, and I think you'd have heard from that, already). I'm guessing you got shown KQ/KJ/KT, probably sooted.

The donkbet is consistent with the above, so raise the river. Wearing your skirt, call it down. Don't fold.

Edit: LOL. Once again, it looks like I'm on the lunatic aggro fringe.

nomadtla
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
call I hate these kinda donkbets but I find them to be more offten a bluff of a missed draw. Sometimes they'll turn over (52, 5K, or A5) but it's worth a call.

DrunkHamster
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Hang on guys, I never even mentioned folding at all. My only question was whether to raise or just call. I'm not sure what skirt you mean - I bet or raised every time it came to me up until then.

aces_dad
07-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I probably just call it against an unknown as his action leaves me a little puzzled and I wouldn't like to be 3bet there.

On the other hand, it's hard to see what he would cc twice with pf, then call with throughout, and finally like on the river. Seems like a donkbet more than a set as, since you already bet pf, flop, and turn, why not c/r with a rivered set?

Fantam
07-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Call. The most likely explanation for his unexpected river bet is that he has made trip 5's on the river. Maybe he was calling all the way with a hand like A5.

So I would call the river, because you cant afford to fold to a bluff in a big pot like this. However, unless I got a read on SB being totally irrational, I would not raise in case he did have trips.

VoraciousReader
07-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Since this is .25/50, I'm guessing you get shown A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or possibly K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Against a total mystery I just call this river.

DrunkHamster
07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Cool, I'm glad most of you agree with me. I called, he flipped A6o and MHIG. Just wanted to check I wasn't going weak on you guys.

detruncate
07-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Do you really think he pays us off with a worse hand often enough to make it worthwhile? A smaller K probably calls. A bluff usually doesn't. Trips or better 3-bet. I don't think we need to worry about being bluff 3-bet often enough for it to have much impact on our decision. A pair &lt; K might call... but probably folds.

I'm pretty happy getting one bet out of him on the river with a hand I'm ahead of -- we don't know anything about his potential range of hands, but you'd have to think he missed much more often than he hit... and there are relatively few second best hands that are going to pay off a raise, no? We pretty much have to put him on exactly a smaller K.

A call seems better than a raise.

TomBrooks
07-06-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what would you guys do as your standard line against an unknown: raise or just call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call. Definately Call.

TomBrooks
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I called, he flipped A6o and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd call next time too. He probably won't try that against you again, for a while at least.

beset7
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Only a better hand would call a raise so I'm just calling.