View Full Version : Simple email ettiquette question

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I email coworker with a question. Coworker emails me back with a solution.

Is a thank you email appropriate or just a waste of time for both of us?

I usually do not send thank you emails.

swede123
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Thank your coworker in person whenever you run in to him. If he's in a different office perhaps a thank-you response is called for. It also depends on how much of an effort he went through to find the answer and how long time it took him.

Swede

edtost
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
only needed if he might realisitically be thinking other solutions and need confirmation that the one he gave you worked...otherwise a giant waste of time.

Shajen
07-06-2005, 02:12 PM
thanks dude. worked like a champ.

--your name here

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Thank you email is nice. Deleting it takes one second and it will bring a smile to that person's face and make it more likely for him/her to help you again. Just do it.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, thank yous are always nice. Even people who hate the excess useless filling up of their inbox will think you're a nice guy and will treat you kindly.

Yeti
07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Jeez, just send a quick 'cheers bud' email.

In future, end your mails with TIA to avoid this confusion later on.

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Okay, so say the project in question is something that I'm doing for said coworker. Does that change anything?

Or am I just analyzing this way too much and it means like...nothing... in the grand scheme of things?

Should I just stick it in her pooper and be done with it?

Shajen
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so say the project in question is something that I'm doing for said coworker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then by all means, stop by and let her know.

[ QUOTE ]
Does that change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, see above.

[ QUOTE ]
Or am I just analyzing this way too much and it means like...nothing... in the grand scheme of things?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the grand scheme of things, we are all nothing. Take that for what it's worth.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. Is she a fan of getting her chocolate starfish stretched? Perhaps you could ask her as you thank her. You know, hey, thanks for that, it works great. BTW, are you a fan of getting ass [censored]?

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so say the project in question is something that I'm doing for said coworker. Does that change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
You asked a question, you got an answer, you say thank you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have so far written two posts and read a few more about this topic. That time would have covered your thank you emails for the year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Always a valid option, IMO.

chaas4747
07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
When I am finished with a project for a co-worker I usually send the "Thanks for all your help, it helped tremendously on this project" email and call it good. Better to send one, than many.

Soul Daddy
07-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I think it's a waste of time, but minimal. I just say thank you in the original e-mail with the question.

MoreWineII
07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I think I'll go with the "Thanks in advance" technique from now on.

TheWorstPlayer
07-06-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks in advance is extremely annoying. And it doesn't count as thanks. Even when people say 'thanks in advance' or WAY more annoyingly "TIA" I still appreciate a "thank you" afterwards. WTF, if someone can't spend 1 second saying thank you why should I take the time to help them out?

IndieMatty
07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
send a thank you you cranky sob.

stabn
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks in advance is extremely annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheTROLL
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks in advance is extremely annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. It doesn't even begin to make sense.

RacersEdge
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd be more likely to do it if...

co-worker is female

or

it was a fairly big one time thing - if you are going to be constantly exchanging info via email, it would be too many ty's in there..

or

if I could add some comment to it like "thanks, works perfectly"