PDA

View Full Version : 99 call down

Nietzsche
07-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Button is 45/15/2.

I'm a little uncomfortable in these situations. How is the turn and river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (5 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

wrto4556
07-06-2005, 01:48 PM
i would like to hear what everyone has to say on this.

I usually bet/fold and then check/fold the river UI.

if it was 88 I think I would just check/fold...

mscags
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I think I throw this away on the turn. About the only thing you can beat is a complete bluff

Nietzsche
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I thought of that but he might be one of those folks who call every flop. And his aggression is high enough he will bluff if I show weakness IMO. He did indeed hold 66. But I am unsure of the EV of calling down in general as opposed to folding or betting.

ChicagoTroy
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I think you really invited a steal here. You have to bet the turn and dare him to raise you (but fold if he does). You're more likely to a) win there, b) get a free showdown.

hockey1
07-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Being out of position sucks. Small pot. Check fold the turn.

GetThere1Time
07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
I bet/fold the turn and check/call the river. With a VPIP of around 45 I think he'll peel this flop and turn with plenty of worse hands. When you, the pfr, bets the flop and checks the turn, you're screaming, "I hate my hand. Please bet and take the money."

On the river, since he probably is capable of firing a shell no matter what he has when checked to and he could be holding any two cards I check/call.

sam h
07-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I would just check-fold the turn. The pot is small, the turn card just put every gutshot or OESD ahead if you weren't behind already, your outs may not be good, and it will likely cost you 2BB to win 5.5. It's just not worth it.

wrto4556
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably true/.

Nietzsche
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you, the pfr, bets the flop and checks the turn, you're screaming, "I hate my hand. Please bet and take the money."

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. This looks so weak and so inviting and this is why I think there is some strength in this line as opposed to betting. There is a good chance he will take a shot with any too. The down side is some of the time he has the goods.

I think it is close between check/folding and check/calling (river as well) with the third best option being bet, check/fold.

In the past I probably would have played the more aggressive bet, check/call but now I'm thinking this is the worst possible line now. Thoughts?

mscags
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Nice call down then. I just started playing 6max and I am terrible at it. I ran hot my first 1k hands and have been getting killed my last 2k, small I know, but not inviting to an aspiring 6max player on a limited br

mungpo
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Check/fold the turn. I don't like the bet/fold advice.

obithrawn
07-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Why do you dislike the bet/fold here?

brian94709
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
To me this looks like a clear check/fold on the turn. There's three overcards to your pair on the board, and even those times that you're ahead, you can still lose on the river to one of the many available draws. The pot isnt big enough to call down in this situation I think.

deepsquat
07-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I think this is an easy check/fold on the turn against 99% of villains. He called the flop, u would think he has to have either a K, T or be on a straight draw. The Q on the turn completes a Str8 so i really dont see what u beat.

StellarWind
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little uncomfortable in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Join the club.

Checkfolding the turn is a very reasonable idea. Those of you who would checkfold should really consider the question of what happens next. Quite often it goes check-check-brick and suddenly you have a new problem that is rarely discussed. I always feel like a sucker when I lose a bet on the river this way after I already wrote the hand off.

If you want to play on you are mostly hoping for a lower pocket pair or a trash ace. Both these hands are quite likely so your prospects are far from hopeless.

Now an ace is unlikely to fold with a new gutshot in hand, but a small pocket might easily fold to a bet and that would be bad for you. Bet-folding might be the best against some players but checkcalling is very strong against players who will knee-jerk bet behind. You avoid knocking out hands that are drawing to very few outs and avoid being raised off your 2-6 outs.

GetThere1Time
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Everyone loves a check/fold but I think we're giving up the best hand more often than not here against a guy who's peeling with who knows what. I don't think this guy's going to raise us off a better hand. If he pops the turn we're beat. From Villian's stats we can assume a few things. He plays a bunch of hands and takes them too far and he's reasonably aggressive postflop. When the villian just calls the flop, why not bet the turn and let him take his terrible hand too far rather then checking and wondering where we're at but still having to fold to a bet.

If we bet he'll:
-Call with a better hand always, but we still have a likely 2-6 outs. The downside is that we might have to check/call the river if it bricks.
-Call with a worse hand a lot of the times and sometimes bluff the river when checked to.
-Raise only with a hand that's beating us and we can fold.
-Fold a worse hand

If we check we're essentially surrendering what might be the best hand. I'm sure you all have seen these guys like this peel with anything; Ax, a low PP, 42 of hearts...

I think he calls with a worse hand when we bet, calls with a better hand and we draw out, and bets us off the best hand when we check enough of the time for a bet to be correct.

Nietzsche
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we check we're essentially surrendering what might be the best hand. I'm sure you all have seen these guys like this peel with anything; Ax, a low PP, 42 of hearts...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the reason why I still favor check/call slightly against this opponent. But I may also be too resultoriented. And the price when behind is quite high.