PDA

View Full Version : Capped pre-flop

davidross
02-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Online 2/4. so-so player in EP raises. I 3-bet with AKo and horrible player on my left caps it. I have no idea what that means. My rating of him as horrible has to do with his post-flop play and his proclivity for cold calling raises pre-flop. EP calls and so do I.

Flop T - 6 - 5 rainbow.

EP checks, I check, Horrible Guy checks.

Turn T 6 5 8 making a 4 flush possible.

EP bets out. I'm almost positive he has a T or a pocket pair. Can I call this with a player behind me still and maybe 6 outs?

davidross
02-10-2003, 12:22 AM
I folded. HG called.

River brought a K. EP bet and HG called.

EP had JJ and HG had KQo and took it down.

I think I had odds to call the turn bet if I was sure not to be raised behind me, but he was a wildcard. Anyone think this was a clear call on the turn?

Robk
02-10-2003, 02:37 AM
Hey David, I think that you should make the call. Clearly from a pot odds standpoint you are right on the fence. And
I wouldn't worry too much about adjusting your odds down for the player behind you since his flop check essentially tells you he has nothing. I see no reason to expect your outs to be tainted, and you can pick up an extra bet or two on the end when you hit. If the capper were solid I would fold (since you are sure the EP has something) as I would then be almost positive I was way behind or he also had AK and I would be splitting when I hit.

PokerPrince
02-10-2003, 06:01 AM
If a King didn't spike on the end would you still be wondering whether it was a call or not? Don't let results blind you.

PokerPrince

Bob T.
02-10-2003, 03:33 PM
David,

This response is tainted by looking at the results. But you suspect that the capper is kind of a wild card, and if you check, and he bets, you will call a flop bet because of the size of the pot. Did you consider betting the flop, and then see what happens. If both players call, then you can decide whether or not to bet the turn, and river after you see the cards. With this flop, it is possible that everyone has a big Ace, and noone has a pair yet, and you could still be ahead, or it might get you to the river for just a small bet, instead of a big bet.

First, given that the player behind you 4 bet, and then checked the flop, that might mean that he has two big cards, so you might not have quite as many outs as you are hoping for, and you might be only chopping if you win. If EP has an Ten, you have to expect that he might have an Ace, or King as his other card, and hitting your hand might make him two pair. This further reduces your outs.

On the other side of the coin, the pot is already fairly large, and you might win at least one more bet if you hit your hand.

One thing that happens sometimes, if players are loose, and aggressive preflop, is that they consistantly build large pots preflop, and then when they chase until the river, they are actually playing more correctly than players that fold, because the odds to chase with all kinds of hands are there. Because your opponent seems to be playing this way, I think that you might want to bet the flop, and then you clearly have the odds to see the river.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

tewall
02-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Since nobody bet the flop, this increases the chance that noone has anything and your outs are good. The pot is large enough to play on with 6 outs. This is going on the assumption that HP will cap with anything.