PDA

View Full Version : Standard Blind defense?

squeek12
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Villian has been stealing when close to the button.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Boring as hell?

nomadtla
07-06-2005, 01:34 PM
If you were planning on calling this river I'd go ahead and bet it. Gives him a chance to fold. but I'd fold to a raise. Though paying for the info of what he's gonna try that with may not be a bad idea. I'd still bet/probably call.

squeek12
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were planning on calling this river I'd go ahead and bet it. Gives him a chance to fold. but I'd fold to a raise. Though paying for the info of what he's gonna try that with may not be a bad idea. I'd still bet/probably call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river seemed to me like a perfect opportunity to check to induce a bluff. I can't see him folding anything I beat, and probably won't call with a worse hand. Anyone other opinions?

chopchoi
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I check/fold the flop. All you have is a gut-shot with no overcards, and you aren't getting odds to draw. The check-raise is way out of line.

This poses another question, though. Recently, a lot of players have been playing like this. Whenever I open-raise from late position, I seem to always get check/raised on the flop. I think some players are doing this with any 2 cards, no matter what flops. How do I adjust my game to deal with this?

Example, I open-raise from late position with A9s. BB calls. The flop is eight high, 1 of my suit. BB check-raises. I call. I don't improve on the turn, and he bets into me. 2 questions: (1)What do I do here? (2)If players keep doing this from the blinds, isn't it a good idea to steal less?

squeek12
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check/fold the flop. All you have is a gut-shot with no overcards, and you aren't getting odds to draw. The check-raise is way out of line.

This poses another question, though. Recently, a lot of players have been playing like this. Whenever I open-raise from late position, I seem to always get check/raised on the flop. I think some players are doing this with any 2 cards, no matter what flops. How do I adjust my game to deal with this?

Example, I open-raise from late position with A9s. BB calls. The flop is eight high, 1 of my suit. BB check-raises. I call. I don't improve on the turn, and he bets into me. 2 questions: (1)What do I do here? (2)If players keep doing this from the blinds, isn't it a good idea to steal less?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thought process here is exactly why I made the play. I wouldn't do this with any two, but considering that I have 4 outs that are certainly clean and 6 tainted outs, I think it's okay.

He has been stealing and I believe will autobet the flop. I check-raise, hoping he's missed. Most people will call the flop check-raise, but then fold UI on the turn when I lead out. If the play fails, I still win, because he will think twice before he tries to steal my blind again.

MrWookie47
07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't necessarily like the check/raise on the flop. Now, there are some weak-tighties who'll fold to it all the time, but in general, you're offering the autobettor 7.5:1 to call one more bet. It's pretty much correct for villain to peel with UI ovecards if the flop was rags.

In this hand, it's a special circumstance. There's an A. Ax is a hugely popular stealing hand. Even though you caught a gutshot on the flop, I don't think there's any way you're a favorite against his range of hands. You probably have somewhere between 4 and 10 outs, twice, which gives you at best 40% equity or so. I think I stoved up a hand like this 1 or two days ago. Anyone have the link?

I think your check/raise is pretty bad unless you have a read that he likes to fold to it. A lot of players will call you down with KK, and there's no way he's folding Ax. I think you're better off peeling on the flop, and folding the turn UI. That turn card is a decent semibluffing opportunity, so betting would be OK then if you think there's a chance he'll fold.

MrWookie47
07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
If they're check/raising lightly, you can consider 3betting lightly. I've seen the check/raise/fold blind defense more than once.

squeek12
07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I wasn't expecting him to fold on the flop, but I did plan to lead the turn no matter what. I think it's possible that I've been too aggressive when defending my blinds lately. Maybe I'm becoming paranoid about people open-raising in very late position.

I think I've got to protect out of the BB with this hand, and I cannot stand to call, and then check fold any flop that misses me. I hate check/call here too. Maybe this is a leak and I'm spewing, as blind defense IMO is my greatest weakness.