PDA

View Full Version : Table Selection

Poldi
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Usually I start datamining before I sit down at a table so I can quickly see if the table might be very profitable or not and have the option to switch to other tables where I have stats, too.

Here is what I look for:
- Pot size (~8xBB)
- loose players on my right so I have positional advantage as often as possible
- tight players on my left so I have the button more often, can steal more and dont find myself in positional disadvantage as often.
- openlimping + coldcalling. if a player doesnt raise much preflop in 6max, chances are he is not good. I think this is even more true for coldcallers.
- Too small or really large stack-sizes: Players with few chips usually either have lost a lot or didnt bring enough to the table, both may be an indicator that they are bad. Players with way too much cash on the table probably are not that good as well since they could play higher but chose not to. Not an important point though.

What else can I look for? Sometimes I read stuff like "You need better table selection at limit X/Y$." How do I learn about that or is it just experience + the PT stats I stated?

TMFS9
07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
I think you have a generally good plan for table selection. The only thing that I can add is possibly adding a buddy list as you play and following them around as well. Also make sure you don't find a good table when you sit down, and then just stay there even way after the reasons the table was good have already left.